The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Best recipies for log end sealers that really work?  (Read 20999 times)

Offline HOOF-ER

• Share Post
Re: Best recipies for log end sealers that really work?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
INFO - I tried making some homemade sealant today. Had one of those outdoor candle been sitting on the back porch for forever. Heated it and added mineral spirits to it. Turned out real neat. It reminded me of bacon grease. Smooth and creamy looks like it will go on really good. Then I thought why not make some more? Went to the store and bought some straight paraffin and did the same to it. When it set up it was kind of clumpy. Will still probably work just not the wonderful appeal of the first batch. They must have lot different wax in the candle. What ever it is that is what I would want to use.

Then I called Texas Timbers company. They were very helpful and quoted a price. Minimum was $100 . I dont know if they will let 2-5gal jugs go as the min. May have to buy 3. I am not sure if I can make the home brew for that price. So I"ll be making out an order to try the ready made.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Offline gregghale

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
The products once sought from ACI (Associated Chemist) Portland, Oregon facility are still available.  Walker Emulsions purchased ACI in 2012.  The K-7002 is a wax emulsion used for sealing logs and lumber.  They used to have other, similar products, but you would need to give them a call. 

Offline hersnsh#590

• I'm new(ish)
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
OK,  I'll bite.  I'm like Kevin, I'm cheap , and I like to experiment.  I like to seal my leather work boots regularly, and I had a favorite wax product that I used and Liked.  Blue and white can.  It seems there was a price increase when I went to buy a new can, and I decided to "speriment".  Google gave some ideas that sounded good to me.  I mixed equal parts of toilet bowl sealing wax, linseed oil, and mineral spirits.  Heated gently in a metal can on the shop wood stove until the wax melted, and stirred occasionally along the way.  That produced a creamy yellowish mix that is somewhat more liquid than the "blue can" product.  It applies easily to boots, and works well on leather gloves also.  I like it, it seems to work, and I don't believe is costs $1/oz to brew up.  For what it's worth.

Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, and an understanding wife.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »
If I had to I would go to a big box store and buy the mix off color junk. Short $$
 ;D
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Vacuum Sealers

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on General Board

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2007, 04:40:51 PM
by ADAMINMO
xx
Sanding Sealers and Lacquer

Started by TexasTimbers on General Woodworking

22 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 12:13:32 PM
by solodan