The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 276953 times)

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
    • Share Post
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #940 on: October 27, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
just had a break in the rain then heard the birds so i went out and filled the feeder  not 5 min later must have been 20 bluejays 
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #941 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
I haven't started feeding the birds here yet. The price of sunflower seed may hamper this years feeding till the weather reaily goes to crap. The last two years we always got 25 or more purple finches and they seem to waste more then was eaten.
Bill

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #942 on: December 14, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
I drove out to Samish Island this morning to buy oysters and pickled herring for Christmas.  This is a little semi-island about 70 miles NW of Seattle.  The Samish River hits the sound a few miles from here and has a run of king and chum salmon.  There is a old farmstead nearby with a stand of big old trees and this morning I counted 17 bald eagles sitting up there and a couple out flying nearby!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don’t attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #943 on: December 15, 2011, 05:47:01 AM »
That is really pretty country too. I was based out of Bothell and really enjoyed just bumming around on the weekends while out there.

The eagles are thick in our area right now. It's nothing to see several soaring overhead while out hunting. I was dressing out a deer by the house and looked up to see 2 flying right above me. I'm guessing they must have a really good sense of smell.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #944 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:39 AM »
There was a moose shot in a field out of season this fall and gutted in the field. There was one adult and an immature eagle that hung around a couple days as well as 20+ ravens. I have not seen that before around here, so they are getting more common. We have eagles, but never see them on a carcass. Out in Prince Rupert they were as thick as seagulls and hung out at the dumps.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #945 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11:55 AM »
Again, the indians called bald eagles "white headed crows".  Majestic as they are, their behavior tends a bit toward scavaging versus predator.  See them occasionallty at my place, and commonly in the salt marsh conservation areas of the Delmarva pennisula.  Always a thrill.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #946 on: December 15, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
Bald Eagles are scavengers which is why Benjamin Franklin suggested that the Wild Turkey be adopted as our National Bird.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #947 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »
Are you sure he wasn't referring to the bourbon as our national drink?  My understanding is that George Washington is incorrectly named as the "father of our country".  Some history books record that Ben Franklin fathered over 20 children.  Don't tell me that Wild Turkey didn't have something to do with that!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #948 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:57 PM »
I think there is a debate on whether Canada's national bird should be the loon or the red tailed hawk. I'm not near much water here, so I here more red tailed hawks soaring high up. But, I think I would prefer the loon as a national bird. ;D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #949 on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
And then the Continental Bird could be a Loonie Bald Eagle drinking Wild Turkey.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #950 on: December 15, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »
I saw one of those last night!   :o
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #951 on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
SD

I agree.  There is nothing more haunting, and Canadian, than a bunch of loons sounding off after dark.  I love the Red-Tail, but the Loon is a special character, like most Canadians I know. ;)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #952 on: December 15, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
If you ever get up to Jeff's place, you can here one or two loons in the lake nearby.  ;)

My uncle lives nearby the head pond of the river and we here them (usually one) early in the mornings during the summer.

Dirty Harry

Offline miking

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #953 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »
Made a reservation for a birding tour in Kingsville Texas yesterday for my wife and I. Anybody been on this trip or done any south Texas birding?
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #954 on: December 18, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
If you ever get up to Jeff's place, you can here one or two loons in the lake nearby.  ;)

My uncle lives nearby the head pond of the river and we here them (usually one) early in the mornings during the summer.

We are surrounded by lakes, and our home is under several flyways between some of the lakes. Pretty much every morning and evening while the Loons are north, you will hear them, and see them if you look, as they fly directly over the house. When ever I hear a loon, I think of the movie "On Golden Pond" and Katherine Hepburn's imitation of the loons.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #955 on: December 18, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
I think of "The Great Outdoors" for some reason.  ;D

Dirty Harry

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #956 on: December 18, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
Speaking of birds!

I looked out the back window this morning and in the back corner of the little field behind the house there was a Blue Heron hunched up in the tree-line absorbing what little heat he could from the sun.

We had +4°F at 7:00 AM.

We went to town this afternoon and when we got back the Blue Heron was gone.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #957 on: December 18, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
I see them here until mid November, then they pack it in and head south. The last one I saw was 3 weeks ago on the shore of a brook.

Got down to 2F here this morning. That's quite a drop from the 30's and 40's we had for weeks.

Dirty Harry

Offline nas

• Measure twice and cut aw DanG
    • Share Post
    • Traditional forest products
« Reply #958 on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
SD

I agree.  There is nothing more haunting, and Canadian, than a bunch of loons sounding off after dark.  I love the Red-Tail, but the Loon is a special character, like most Canadians I know. ;)
Hey!! I represent that comment >:( :-[ :-\ 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #959 on: December 18, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
Made a reservation for a birding tour in Kingsville Texas yesterday for my wife and I. Anybody been on this trip or done any south Texas birding?

My bird adviser [bil] advised me he and his son had toured down near Harlingen, Brownsville, Rio Grande Valley area several years back. He says a great area for rare Central American species as well as western U.S. birds. He mentioned seeing a 'Crane Hawk' and the Vermillion Flycatcher, alias.. 'little coal of fire'. Have a great time & Merry Christmas!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Birds with Mom

Started by doctorb on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 08:59:15 AM
by doctorb
xx
These birds are everywhere around here.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

11 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 05:51:10 AM
by SwampDonkey