The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Hickory Timbers?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
Re: Hickory Timbers?
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
I was able to open and read.  Great article about the history of the farm. 

Don I believe you got a call out in the article, well deserved!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping Lots of local talent!

Who were the 'experts' from Floyd mentioned in the article?  What was their role?

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
2nd time's a charm.  When I clicked on it again I got the whole article.  Pretty neat.  Quite a story behind that structure.  It's really good that a lot of those old structures are behind rehab'd, preserved and re-used.

I've been to Floyd a few times.  Great area.  My grandmother was from Floyd.  She moved to Halifax county (Alton) when she married my grandfather.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us informed.

BT

HM126

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 01:02:07 PM »
It has been a fun project, a bit more than any of us anticipated but we're having a good time.
Al Anderson, Timber Works of Interest, is the GC on the project, the two of us Don's are getting to play in the woods providing the logs and timbers they need and pitching in when they need a hand. A couple of our friends are pitching in at my sawmill when they have time sawing up our "bycatch", logs that are other than the sizes we can use directly, into floor and sheathing boards. We used logs from 10-14" diameter to make the logs used in the cribs and are using the tops of those trees in the 6-8" range for the rafters. Of course we got into some whoppers doing the beams and are using the slabs to make some loft floor joists and more lumber. Big and crooked logs are being sawn into boards. Firewood has gone in about every direction. It's been pretty efficient thus far. We've kicked around trying to make charcoal out of the slab piles.

btulloh, I had looked Jett up to see what company he was with, didn't know he was a household name  :D. Lightening took out the dish a decade or so ago. The nice lady called to offer us a new one but I told her the pipe that was left standing in the yard was a great rain gauge holder and I didn't want to give that up. She didn't understand.

I enjoy Floyd, they have done great things with their downtown area in the past few years, nice timberframing everywhere.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »
This weekend was 'Floyd Fest' down on the Parkway.

Don who were the folks mentioned in the article from Floyd and their roles?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
The guys from Floyd are Al Anderson and Kevin Morley, they're actually from Pilot (Al's wife and Kevin's sister are also Blue Ridge Yurts). Al and Kevin and their helper Peter are the ones doing the reconstruction. We are making the materials and they are doing the joinery and construction.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
Y'all are doing great work as well as the others and thanks for sharing the project.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
Don't run over the chainsaw like I did   :-\.

Well...
At the end of the day yesterday we had dropped a tree in a particularly thick hawthorn grove and after getting an ear piercing that I hadn't really counted on I decided to stay after and clean it up a little. I got lazy hopping up and down from the loader and put the saw on the back deck and forgot. I was popping out stumps heading uphill and it slid off the back, and then I backed up and saw it smushed into the mud. It still runs and cuts but it broke the bottom handlebar mount. It's full of epoxy but it ain't gonna last long.

So I have an 034 that needs a cylinder and piston job but it doesn't look like there is an aftermarket one  ??? I think I'll try an 034 super and hopefully it'll be an easy bolt up. I can't imagine the bottom is different on those two saws.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »
I remembered to take the camera today and got a few progress pics. The timberframers have left. The sheathing is going on the roof then metal then on to sawing siding and closing it in.
This is the west side I've photo'd most.

inside the west shed, the joists for the catwalk to access the lofts is there as well as the breezeway between log cribs.

The east side;

The southeast corner showing the south shed

The guys have been sawing more sheathing boards the past couple of days, there's a few feet of that going up there!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »
Don, why the solid sheathing on the sides?  Is it related to anchoring for wind protection?  Sheathing pine?  Really looks good. Y'all have done a ton of work!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 08:58:16 PM »
 I think more work than anyone imagined  :D.

Most of the logs and timbers above the lower white oak parts are tulip poplar. We've been making 1x6's and 1x8's for the sheathing out of the "bycatch". Logs that were too big or too small or too short. We may have to drop another tree or two but cleanup should provide the majority. I like to fill the ends solid, it looks better when outside, it makes it easier to seal any exterior walls up top and it keeps the wind under the overhang from smacking right into the metal in that most vulnerable area.

Once the roof is on we'll try to get the west wing sided first, we've made some boards out of the white oak as we've gone along. It would be nice to have it available for lambing if needed. Then loft floors and lots of siding.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »
The roof metal is now on and trimmed out and we've had our first big wind... I drove by the next morning and the excavator and owner were already there checking it out too  :D. It impressed several of the old farmers at the store and took some trees and that was without the edge metal on yet so I think we're good.

This is the North, road, side. It was and will again be boarded over with a sliding door on the right hand western shed, we've already sided down the west timberframe short wall. That is our prevailing from the right, west.

The east shed is open. There was a light frame wall across the aisle between the cribs. We have room to make that a double slider. There was a tack room at the far end where the "different" roof transition occurs with the south shed. We still have that room intact and may rework it back in there.

Midway down the eastern shed looking between the log cribs into the western shed. The loft catwalk is at 9' and runs across to access the upper lofts in the log cribs. The lumber in there is for the loft floors.

Continuing on down the eastern shed to the south shed and looking West. We all want lots of windows on this end. Since the logs need to settle but the tf cannot I had them put in the post and beam assembly against the log crib to hold this shed in place. There will be a sliding flashing at the wall to roof above when we side that gable end.

Walking down to the end of the south shed and turning right to look northward through the western shed. We're trying to get this wing buttoned up first for lambing.

That's where we are now. I brought a bunch of our slabs and bycatch into the haybarn for siding recovery over the winter and we've taken 10 pickup loads of firewood out of the pasture, and as you can see in the background of one shot we still have all the original, mostly rotten logs to try to decide what to do with. There is another nearly identical barn on the farm so we might kick the can down the road and move it all over there.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Log barn #2
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
I moved the big toys over to the other log barn on the farm and started on it, which means I moved antique poop out for half a day. It is another 2 crib log barn at the core with northern and southern TF sheds. The metal came off major portions of the north side and about a third of that shed collapsed, the rest of that shed is badly rotted. The plate on the log crib that side is also in trouble. Structurally this one is in better shape than the other one and it was built a little better to begin with. We aren't going to try to bring this one up to as fine a level, basically repair the north shed, make it functional and do whatever has to be done elsewhere. These are a few beginning pics.

South shed and east end. The daylight to the right is where the collapse happened around the north side. The door on the south is a drive through between the log cribs, about 6" too low to drive the Lull through, darn the bad luck. I may to a little measuring and digging and repair on our way out.

Standing in the western end of the north shed, the drive thru between cribs on the right looking at the collapse. Shed rafters dangling from the log wall plate. Water running down into that shady organic pit just about ate the bobcat in there. The remaining shed plate was really off that post and supported on a tiny bit of siding. I fabbed up a steel angle gusset and attached it to post and plate to secure it temporarily as we dismantle that shed. It is very tender right now.

Outside looking back at the collapsed shed

Looking down the south shed, you can see all the plates are shot. The lap siding is chestnut so I'll try to be careful with it hoping to clean it up for rustic wainscot in the hunting cabin. I wasn't walking on the roof, the ladder was to get into the work basket when I boomed up there to start removing metal, you can see a few sheets I dropped off this afternoon.

This is a reminder shot, figure out the real load path. The load path should be the notched log corners. Look at the left door buck, that bowed 1x, that is the load path for that left log corner, something's up in that left hand corner.

Another something's up pic. This is just inside that low door on the south shed. That scarf is open and you can see a little thrust roll going on. I'm betting the post has leaned right and the knee brace has jacked it up. Pretty nice ladder hanging there. I found some rotting harnesses and bridles in the muck on that floor and a single bottom horse drawn plow in that bay. And dropped into a groundhog den.

I'm going to take straps and comealongs tomorrow and secure the log plates together so they cannot roll outward as I remove the shed roof. I noticed they had drifted out on the tie tenons. I'm figuring the relish is probably split out on them beyond the pegs. I can draw them back together hopefully and hide a steel plate on top.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 06:57:40 AM »
This one will keep you challenged and busy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 09:09:03 AM »
Look forward to the posts and pictures as you work your magic!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Log Barn #2
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 10:59:00 PM »
We've gotten the north shed removed and done a little cleanup. Looking it over more as we've worked, it is predominantly chestnut. The roof laths over the log rafters are hand rived chestnut. It looks like it had 2 shake roofs, the first nailed with cut nails the second with wire box nails. Then we've seen both 3V and 5V barn metal up there. The north shed with the collapse problem had run into trouble between the first and second shake roofs and much of it was rebuilt with sawn oak rafters and sawn chestnut 1x6 skip sheathing, sort of a mix with some remaining log rafters and some oak sawn rafters. The majority of the repair area is what collapsed this time, I'm guessing the wind strips that corner of the roof first, that front left corner where the shed was in the pic below has the longest fetch up the valley and least protection from the wind.

This is where we left it yesterday with the north shed removed. The Lull is parked in the center drive thru and there are some of the chestnut roof boards leaning up on each side in that drive through, that's the angled stuff you are seeing in there. My skid steer is in the front left corner of the barnyard, that the yellow thing there for scale. The far right bay is TF rather than log.

This is the top plate of the log wall supporting both the main barn roof and the north shed roof before we removed that. I don't want to remove and replace this plate, that would entail lots of work and funds but you can see serious rot damage towards the far end. I'm trying to figure out how to work in another beam under it. The plate and log rafters are step lapped and pegged. You can see someone cut out several tie logs between the cribs up under that beam and there was an access to what was another loft up there. There are notches that indicate there were joists and a loft up there over the drive through at some point.

The ties between plates are drop in half dovetailed and then blocked tight. As the dovetail shrank it withdrew a couple of inches. You are looking at the outboard end of that retracted dovetail in the left upper in the plate in this view, then the block beside the strap which is around a half lap between plate sections, which is pegged down to the log below with a 2" peg, the plate is shimmed up to level here with a pretty ugly shim... I'll bet he meant to get back to that and forgot :D That is a shed rafter coming back towards us in that pic and then a bit of the tail of a main rafter heading up and over the log crib to its right, there is another far left in this shot and you can see a bit of the step lap rafter mortise there. The rived, split, lath boards over the rafters and some 5v tin over that. The plates and ties are poplar.

We removed the tumbled rock wall that was under the north shed sills, or what remained of all that. That was the treasure trove thus far. One pressed glass medicine bottle, a pint whiskey bottle, 3 plow points and several hinges, one door roller and a few rusty chunks of who knows what. Doubtless all sat on the sill and then fell into the loose fieldstone. We'll rebuild that shed as an open shed for round bale storage so I'll put in stone piers to support 6 posts for the new shed roof.

34 years of wedded bliss today, great steaks and an apple pie 8). I pm'ed back and forth with Furby today, he was laid over up in Salem but alas we couldn't hook up this trip. Hopefully he'll be back through this neck of the woods before too long.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
Congratulations on the anniversary!

The project is interesting and a plan is taking shape.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 10:24:38 PM »
Incredible to think of the physical labor of putting these up.  Thats enough work to last a mans entire life.  

Are all of these sitting on rock footings or do any have buried posts like today's pole barns ? 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #57 on: Today at 12:00:02 AM »
Funny you should ask :D both of us are about sick of digging through the rocks that used to support that shed we tore off. Both barns sat on loose dry laid fieldstone. Over the years those have toppled and then become buried in the muck. The rocks under the corners of the log cribs are still there, at least the ones we've gotten to thus far. At that age and without treated lumber... probably at that age and even with treated, any earthfast buildings are long gone.

The labor involved in building this with nothing but axe and chisel is impressive, there isn't a saw mark in the original work. A few of the rocks had the skidsteer on its nose just scooting them around. That was all hand work.

For where our new shed posts are going we dug  2' square holes 2' deep and poured those full to just below grade using bag mixed concrete and putting a lot of the smaller rocks, cleaned up, back into the mixer to make solid footings. We extended rebar up out of those footings and will build stone piers above grade to get the new posts up out of the dirt.

Back when I was mucking it out on the first day, the wind was blowing and I got something in my eye. I figured it was hay or antique manure and kept waiting for it to work itself out. I finally went in to the eye doc this week and we ain't sure what it was but it was well stuck into my cornea. It took her a good bit of digging to get it out and then a round of antibiotic eye drops and a stern lecture about safety glasses and coming in sooner. But its all good and her assistant said "You're just like my husband" so we decided its just a genetic defect and there isn't much hope of a cure.

I rehung the south shed door the first day and got it rolled out of the way on that side, the door is shot but the track and rollers can be made serviceable again. We saved the track off the collapsed north shed and will put that across the log cribs over the north side inside the new open north shed to close off the drive through. We found one of the rollers. After work today we went down the road to pick up a log on a nearby farm that the new owner wanted sawn up... fence wire hanging out of it so that was a bust but there is a collapsed barn there so we commenced to poking around and found 3 more of the same type of door roller and more track so we need to talk to him about that, hopefully a trade of some decent wood and we can make that happen.

On the first barn there was at one point a wooden silo on the north end. While we were working I found the old 5/8" steel rods that hooped it in the weeds. For the ties up top where the plates are spreading on this barn we'll try to use that rod to run across and pull them back into line. We straightened one back out pretty easily, very malleable steel and seems to be in good shape still.

This is a quick sketch of what we've come up with for the new shed post line so far, there was a stone wall under each group of 3 posts on each side of the drive through with a sill, we now have footings poured under each of those locations. Up top the pair of long plate beams is where we have the spreading problem going on where I might run the old silo rods across between them to pull that back together or at least hold it from getting worse. The double line up at the peak is where I'm trying to figure out how much that has sagged to give the plate spread I'm seeing;

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Milling own timbers vs ordering timbers from a sawmill

Started by Joe Vachon on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2017, 12:45:18 PM
by thechknhwk
xx
3 sided husk on hickory nut - what type of hickory is it?

Started by Lanier_Lurker on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 09:18:14 AM
by Lanier_Lurker
question
Hardwood timbers vs. Softwood timbers

Started by jeremy86 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2016, 09:01:22 AM
by Heartwood
xx
Red Hickory (Pignut Hickory) value?

Started by jbburd on Sawmills and Milling