The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Coon, possum, horse?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
Re: Coon, possum, horse?
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
On my wife's first trip to France with me on a work trip she decided to visit a local street market and shop for dinner, her comment about the experience was that all the butchered rabbits were hung with their hind feet still attached, the vendor said it was a hold over from WWII when it was not uncommon to sell cats as rabbits, not possible if the feet are still there.

I've eaten most anything that is served around the world but some of the most memorable were probably sea urchins served fresh in the shell, picking them out of the shell with chopsticks was an experience, kind of like trying to pick up animated spaghetti. Drunken shrimp where they are served in a liquor bath, they drown in the alcohol and are cooked at table side. I remember at one dinner in Singapore when the young lady seated next to me asked if my rice had "eyes" too, on closer inspection it turns out the rice was peppered with newly hatched fish fry, eyes and all. And dog on a stick in Korea at 3 am from a street vendor (maybe alcohol was involved....). Horse is pretty good, a little known fact about Friesian horses is that the biggest market for them, until us crazy americans discovered them with the movie Ladyhawk, was as table fare.

Have had good bear and very bad bear. Ate way too much venison early on so now don't really care for it, would rather a good cut of beef. Wife loves lamb, have to leave the house when she cooks it but will eat it under duress. Seems most gator I've eaten was over cooked and tough. Draw the line at possum and coon, but most other wild game or seafood is open for tasting. Love raw oysters and clams, cooking them just ruins them. Mountain oysters on the other hand need to be cooked and are quite good. Have had rat, tasted just like squirrel, but tougher, not something I'll try again. Various snakes, the bigger the better as table fare. Being in an industry that kept me in foreign countries definitely expanded my palette. And owl does taste just like chicken. Got lots of kin in WV, dinners were always an adventure.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
Other than I'd definitely pass on the rat, coons, opossum, I'd pretty much try anything else you mentioned if only once  :).  I go to mountain oyster feeds every once in awhile (yes we have those around here), even though I might be the one to "deliver" the meat for them, when cooked right they're good, snake is one I'd like to try, around here it'd be rattlesnake from West of us. I think it boils down to (no pun intended) what our ancestors had to do to survive, hard times call for hard measures, old saying.  I'd still would prefer a nice T-bone though  :D.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
The rattlesnakes around here are musky smelling.  You can smell the musk when you bring the fork to your mouth.  I have ate my last one.  Life is short. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
 I lived in Beijing China back in the mid 80's.
We had a lot of "Mystery Meat" meals.

The 2 things I had that I don't care if I ever have again are
sea cucumber, which is some type of large worm that lives in the ocean
and tripe, didn't like the smell, didn't like the taste.

I was raised on venison and still love it. Venison has to be handled correctly from shot to table.

Love elk, moose, buffalo. Haven't had nearly enough of these.

We ate a racoon once. It wasn't bad but I don't need it.

We eat rattle snake at least once a year. Our rattlers in WV are quite tasty.

Wild turkey is another favorite of mine. I'll take it over store bought any day.
Again has to be handled properly from shot to table.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »
Have eat a lot of wild game, drew the line on possum and nutria rats, I won't even skin them so they would be hard to eat. Mountain oysters are good eating, so are fried regular oysters. I tried a raw oyster once, actually probably about 15 times, but it finally got back up far enough I could spit it out. So far I have not had lamp I liked, but do like goat if handled right, and mountain sheep (dall) is some of the best eating there is. Had coon, not terrible, but wouldn't want a steady diet of it. never been around any cat, but everyone claims linx is good groceries, so will try it if I get the chance.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2018, 11:50:23 AM »
That part about the oyster gave me a good laugh.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Yeah weekend, venison is king in my house
Managed to put 3 in the freezer this yr, all anterless.
Cant ever understand the term "gamey"
If processed and prepared properly. all game meat is delicious.
My favorites are in descending order,
Whitetail, Moose Muley, Elk, caribou and antelope.
Maybe because whitetail is what we mostly consume and I have gotten the price down to about 129.95 bucks per pound now.
The other s are much more expensive.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2018, 07:31:14 PM »
if only 129.95 a pound you must live in the poor part of NY  ;D :D cause I pay a lot more than that  :)

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »
It all depends on how creative you get with the accounting. maybe if I told the wife I just had 129.95 a pound in it, it would make her happy.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Coon, possum, horse?

Started by WDH on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 09:50:21 AM
by WDH
xx
It ain't possum hunting.........

Started by Woodwalker on The Outdoor Board

7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 12:22:34 AM
by sandhills