The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Magic Bucks 2017  (Read 6884 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Magic Bucks 2017
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »
Lynn,

Sounds like maybe hunter pressure or other factors are making them go nocturnal. Congrats on the coyote. Don;t know what you are doing/did with the hide. Up here I'd sell it to my hide buyer who also gets all my old deer hides and even a road killed mink last year (which did not thrill my wife).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
I would say that it is more weather and moon related because there has been no deer scaring activity in the 400 acre Spring Hollow/Strawfield area.  Where the does were shot last weekend by the Grands was in a separate 40 acre section of the property.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
Deer travel patterns are really weird in this area this year!

I don't think the rut has really kicked in yet either, and tomorrow is the last day of the regular rifle season!   :-\

Maybe it's a climate change thing, warm weather and no snow!  ::)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »
Our deer season continues in one form or the other until the end of January.  Rifles are allowed on Private property through the "Primitive Weapon" season.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
Got a doe last Tuesday in our muzzle loader season. We can hunt with one weapon or another (bow gun muzzle loader) from middle of September to middle of January.
stihl ms241cm ms290  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several Logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »
 I picked up an archery tag yesterday since I was planning to take the bow out this morning. When I was getting things ready to go this morning I opened my bow case and the string had snapped   :o ... The string previously looked fine but I had planned on replacing it soon anyway. In a way I'm glad it broke on its own and not at full draw while aimed at the giant 6 point I'm after.  Guess I'll have to hunt a different day  ;D
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »
Wow, lucky you.  A string breaking would seem to me like holding a rattlesnake with a head on each end.   :o

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 07:46:45 AM »
about 10years ago went to the local bow guy and bought a new bow as we where setting it up he took the first few shots and BANG  one of the limbs broke :o on a brand new bow needless to he was not a happy camper and I haven't bow hunted since I could not imagine  what it would be like sitting in a tree stand at full draw and have a limb brake

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
Looks strange with no tension on it  :D Apparently I wasn't home when it happened, I bet it made a racket when the string popped inside it's case!

- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
I would say that it is more weather and moon related because there has been no deer scaring activity in the 400 acre Spring Hollow/Strawfield area.  Where the does were shot last weekend by the Grands was in a separate 40 acre section of the property.
I'm a big believer in moon tides, not necessarily a full moon thing, when they seem to feed all night, but the moon directly overhead and underfoot, which causes tides as well as other related increased in ungulate activity.  I see it a lot with my cattle and deer on the farm, when the deer are really moving, especially in the midddle of the day, I can usually look up and see the moon overhead.  When the overhead or underfoot moon coincides with either morning or afternoon peak feeding, the odds of deer activity is very high.  There was a very good book published in the phenomenon several year ago and it explained in detail the theory and observations.

Anyway, I shot this small one the other day. 

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
I'm a big believer in moon tides, not necessarily a full moon thing, when they seem to feed all night, but the moon directly overhead and underfoot, which causes tides as well as other related increased in ungulate activity.  I see it a lot with my cattle and deer on the farm, when the deer are really moving, especially in the midddle of the day, I can usually look up and see the moon overhead.  When the overhead or underfoot moon coincides with either morning or afternoon peak feeding, the odds of deer activity is very high.  There was a very good book published in the phenomenon several year ago and it explained in detail the theory and observations.

Anyway, I shot this small one the other day. 
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Around here that'd be a nice buck, looks like a pretty good spread  :)

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
Nice buck YH. 8)
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »
YH, I saw one today that had a "rack" that resembled the G3 on your bucks left antler!   :-\

That was the best I've seen in a while!  ;D

Today was the last day of the Regular Rifle Season in our Northern Zone, Oh well, we still have Muzzle Loader season!

It's really been a funky, screwed up season here!  ::)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
YH, nice buck if that's small don't be afraid to share pictures of the big ones  :D.
Is it just the way the light is showing or does that deer have a touch of piebald on the front of its left rear leg?

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »
I think it's the way his leg is rotated, I don't remember seeing piebald on him, but I see what you are talking about.  I've not seen any real piebalds around here. 

Actually, it was the biggest that the butcher had seen this year so far, but for our area it's an average decent buck.  Typically, I try get at least a 10 pointer every year, either with my bow or rifle, but I haven't seen one of those big ones this year yet so I took this one.  Our bow and rifle season extends to February, so I have plenty of time to get a big one.  I am a very avid deer hunter, and put a lot of effort into hunting and land management in my spare time.

I know this sounds a little over the top, but here's a photo I took last week using my IPhone, looking up one of our farm roads.  If you look close, you can see about 10 different bucks, 8 of which have paired off and are fighting.  So I had four pairs of bucks fighting in the photo (I also took a cool video) at the same time, in the same frame.  They were all bucks up to 8 points (I had three 8 pointers in the frame, the two closest and one up on the right embankment) and I watched them for about 45 minutes until they faded off.  The creek in the photo is about 60 yards from my ground blind, so it was easy to decide none were big enough, so I let them all walk. I kept having the feeling Big Boy was in the woods watching, but he never came out, if he was there.  You can see my gun barrel in the foreground, and this is my ground blind made from cedar sawmill slabs. 

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 06:11:08 AM »
Wow, you have a lot of deer down there. :o :o Must be a lot of food there.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 06:21:44 AM »
10 bucks at once.  :o   I might and I said might of seen that many does at one time,but not bucks. And that was at a place that had a you pick strawberries and peas. I see 3-4 deer at a time here at the most.
Winter time when I feed them is diffeant.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »
The deer were really moving this evening before the storm.  I saw 38 total with 15 bucks.  One 10 point about 16 inside with two sticker points.  Im looking forward to tomorrow.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
What is this?

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
A lung shot?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Magic Bucks

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

55 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 08:49:27 PM
by Magicman
xx
Magic Bucks '14

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

39 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 11:17:29 PM
by terry f