The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money! sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

 KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades


Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions


Council Tool

Baker Products



Author Topic: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent  (Read 402 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline submarinesailor

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 2117
  • Age: 65
  • Location: Syria, Virginia
  • Gender: Male
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »
Several years ago we had a really bad infestation of termites because the basement floor had settle away from the footer.  This created a crack that run around 3 sides of the basement allowing the termites in.  Well in the process of treating and fixing all this MESS.  We also found that we have a minor problem with water infiltration thru the block wall.  NOTE TO SELF - the wife doesn't like any type of black mold anywhere.

For a while I thought I had it under control by using drylock on the worst areas and adding a french drain on the outside.  But recently the wife as been pushing to get the basement back to a family/TV room (USABLE SPACE!!!!) so after thinking about this I decided to turn towards my buds on the forum to see if anyone has/knows of anything better than drylock or drylock extreme.

To add a twist to this.  We have a brand new (2 weeks old on Sunday) grand daughter living in the house, so I need to be REALLY VERY CAREFUL about the fumes or off-gassing.

I do plan on increasing the capacity of the french drain by removing it and going with something like this all the way across the back of the house.  One problem with doing the change out.  It bunch of it is under the back pouch requiring my to remove almost haft of the decking.

Offline florida

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 485
  • Age: 71
  • Location: Fort Myers, Florida
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
Re: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »
6" or 7" gutter with large downspouts and leaders carrying the water well away from the house should be your first line of defense.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline Bruno of NH

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 1865
  • Age: 52
  • Location: Springfield NH
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
Re: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
I have repaired a lot of wet basements
Best repair is on the outside of the block wall
Grace makes bituthane product that goes on the outside this gives the best results
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline moosehunter

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 1329
  • Age: 55
  • Location: Newfield NY
  • Gender: Male
  • Every once in a while
    • Share Post
    • Saw it Coming
Re: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
What Florida and Bruno said PLUS drainage at the footer. If the water can not drain away from the wall it will find a way in thru the wall.
If it is true that we learn from our mistakes, I must be Brilliant!

Offline Kbeitz

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 6835
  • Age: 65
  • Location: Millville, Pa.
  • Gender: Male
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
Re: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
I had a spring behind my home when I built it so I knew I was going to have problems.
I tared the out side of my blocks and then put in aluminum press plates that came from
a book making factory. Then I tared the press plates. After that I put in a french drain.
It looks like a small creek running behind my home but nothing come in the wall.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Wudman

  • Forester
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Age: 50
  • Location: Keysville, VA
  • Gender: Male
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
Re: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
I used Drylock (along with French drains) on 8" poured walls when I did my basement walls.  It did not stop water infiltration.  I ended up excavating around the house and used tar and paper on the walls along with a backfill of #57 stone.  I've been dry since.  There are a number of new membrane type treatments that accomplish the same task.  My engineer presented a number of options, but the contractor settled on the tar and paper.


Online Don P

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 4402
  • Location: Southwestern VA
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Drylok or SOme Type Of Equivalent
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 08:05:33 AM »
Look for basement drainage mat or board at the building supply, you may need to order it. With tar or a membrane on the wall and this covering it to let any water drop to the footing drain the fill shouldn't be able to build up any hydrostatic pressure against the wall. Then as long as the drain is clear you are dry.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Stihl Equivalent to McCulloch Pro Mac 610

Started by Jim Roy on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 09:34:54 PM
by logger
JONSERED CS2172; HUSKY Equivalent....?

Started by DeerMeadowFarm on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 09:15:23 PM
by Cut4fun
Shop Floor Epoxy's, Which ones to use/stay away from. Also Drylok ?

Started by JOE.G on General Board

30 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 01:52:05 PM
by JOE.G
Winch-line Hook, ring type vs. sleeve type

Started by CuddleBugFirewood on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 12:25:58 PM
by lumberjack48

Powered by EzPortal