Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Half rotten firewood  (Read 2006 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Half rotten firewood
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
My half rotten fir,cedar,maple,oak,white pine,white birch,yellow birch is keeping the house mighty warm.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Klunker

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 11:43:03 PM »

We burn roughly 50 cords of wood a year

wow 50 cords/yr?
you should try closing the doors and windows  ;D

how big of an area are you heating?

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »
An old large two story farmhouse, that's been redone several times  since it was originally built in the late 1890's and a large shop with 20 foot ceilings that has a loft built into it, and an attached office area as well.     All hot water is heated off the owb.   

The shop has a large well insulated door on one end that measures 34 feet wide by 20 feet tall and open it several times a week to bring equipment in and take equipment out as repairs are done, the walls are blow in fiberglass that average 10 inches thick of insulation and have two feet thick blow in fiberglass in the ceiling, with in floor heat, the cement slab is nearly 10 inches thick to hold up heavy equipment, which sucks an incredible amount of heat to maintain it to temp.   

We have an owb that's commercial size and is roughly 600,000 btu that does all the heating, and yes we fill it three times a day when its cold out, in bitter cold temps with a howling wind, four times a day, which translates into slightly more than one skid steer bucket load of wood each filling.   

So depending on which heating expert you want to listen to  determine square footage of heating, ranges from 5000 to slightly over 9000 square feet, however you want calculate it, then toss in a term they call heat recovery for the shop door being opened so much, which no heating expert can give a real number for, don't forget we bring in machines weighing up to 75,000 lbs in frigid temps that need to be warmed up to shop temp, but in summary, we heat a large area and a lot of stuff to warm working and living temps and keep shoving wood into the owb.   

But your right, we should should close the doors and windows more often and heat a smaller area, just haven't figured out how to achieve it.       

So with the volume I got through, partially rotten wood burns just fine, that and it won't last long enough around here to rot much more than the day I cut it in the woods.   

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »
I was out last night filling the OWB. I walked by the wife and she could feel the cold coming off me. And I don't weight no 75,000 pounds.

Randy88,whatcha got for a OWB?
I have a Heatmor,the older style,blower front and back. I can put a 54 inch stick in it, and have no idea the BTU's. I really don't fill it. I have alot of odd shaped pieces and than I will throw in some big pieces that are 2 feet long,18 inches,30 inches and whatever length. Than I throw in some 4 foot pieces that maybe be only 2 inches across,limb wood and so on. Lots of air space sometimes. But so what,I don't need the heat that you do.
I have burned wood in all state of dryness,from stump to OWB,won't do that again,from wood that was dry a year and wood that is picked up from the forest floor too. That is why I bought a OWB,to get rid of my dead wood. I will never get it all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Klunker

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 11:30:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply Randy.
I was hoping it was for more than just a house.

After using my masonry heater for a couple of months I now more than ever am convinced that burning rotten wood makes no sense if you have "good" wood available.

I burn only what I can fill the firebox with at one shot. If its filled with less dense wood I get less heat.
So to get the most heat of out least amount of wood (area wise) I'm going to stick with cutting only healthy living trees that are either sugar maple, shagbark hickory or ironwood. I can make this choice as I have approx. 25 acres of woods and I only need about 2 cords to heat my house for a winter. That's the firewood/heat equation of it for me.

I'll match my firewood needs with my managing for wildlife. By wildlife I mean all wildlife, not game animals. Unfortunatly my management in many ways aids deer. The one wildlife I'd like to see/have less of.
So to the wildlife management end I leave all dead standing dying trees and all fallen trees. I am currently working on killing and leaving standing large aspen/popular trees and cutting and leaving on the ground smaller ones. This is all due to in about less than 1/2 half of my woods is relatively young (100 yrs) and its mostly large aspen, tons of smaller hickory and a few oaks and maples. The aspen needs to go to allow the hickories and oaks mature. I also have very few beech that I'd like to see increase in number.

So amount of wood needed, amount available and management desires of my woodlot all equal out nicely.
Others have different needs, different amount and species available and management results. And thats all OK, to each his own.

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
I used to have a wood doctor, which I bought new, was supposed to about a half million btu's which wasn't big enough, finally got tired of the run around from the so called company, who's warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on, and the leaks I had to fix, so I updated to a Royal owb, make by Arc Alloy in Wisconsin, its the largest one they make, pressurized and only have had it a few months, so can't common much on it one way or another yet.   

We burn anything, always have, from green live cut tree's, to dead wood to dried wood, both cut and log length that have laid around for a few years, to me it really doesn't matter, it all gives off heat to a certain extent.     We handle in bulk you might say and for the most part I really do like cutting and splitting firewood, in the winter it gives a break of doing nothing but fixing and working on servicing equipment.     

We built a so called processor we've been working on for about five years and finally got it up and going last winter, now blocking up firewood is a simple job, the only complaints so far is the cab never got done and it gets cold doing nothing but sitting on the processor cutting up firewood.      As they say its a work in progress, but its usable.    I prefer to run the skid steer feeding logs and taking cut blocks away from the processor [that has a cab and heat].     

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Burning rotten firewood

Started by bigtreesinwa on General Board

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 08:22:22 PM
by woodmills1
xx
Rotten worm

Started by Den Socling on General Board

6 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 05:31:07 PM
by Den Socling