The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Battery powered Stihl?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
Battery powered Stihl?
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
Long story short: partially tore a tendon in my right arm rotator cuff that means no pulling on a starter rope for a while. In desperation (needing fire wood for one thing), checked out and bought one of the 40 volt Stihl electrics. Tiny little thing but easy to start (just pull the trigger) so I can cut again while the arm heals. Seems to be a functional little saw. Won't take down any real trees but holds charge for about an hour of steady cutting. One thought: might be a whole lot safer up a ladder or tree doing trim work than a gas powered one you either start in the air or have running while you climb. Thoughts?

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Battery powered Stihl?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
Another contractor had one on this job, they did a whole lot of the log notching with it. The oil lasts about the length of the battery so oil and "fuel" is about the same as a gas saw. Nice smooth, no fumes a good joinery saw. Now my partner has one. As soon as my rotator heals up a little more I'll give it a whirl. I used it a little before surgery and like it. Finding files has been a problem, have you got a cheap source?

Now about that rotator... that is one of the spots on us that doesn't heal, it will probably calm down but you just keep tearing it. I've been hoping I didn't jump the gun on this repair too bad Friday, somehow got wired with too slow a dope slap gene  :D.

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
Dope slap gene? I must have inherited that one, too. Mine was starting to heal some awhile back, so I foolishly tried putting up fascia with my SILs when I reached over my head and pushed the drive in: WHAM! If it didn't tear more, it sure let me know not to do that for a good long while.

Hope yours heals up- mine is ever so slowly getting some better.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
I was feeling good and sawed siding for the guys for awhile the other day. Went to PT this morning.
Its been awhile since that's happened, I'm grounded  :D

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
I tore the tendon in my right arm rotator cuff.
So I started using electric chainsaws.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline johnny newburgh

• Teach the young bloods
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
If I had battery saw up in tree I would throw that thing on the ground! HAHAHAHA. When you are climbing It would be a major frustration if the battery ran low or If the saw did not have enough power In general. When you are taking down a tree you need to have a saw you can count on it is critical! But hey what do I know being light and not struggling to start up In tree would be nice.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »
   Have you tried the Sthil EZ start saws that crank on the reverse stroke so no hard or fast pulling required? Just pull the cord and it winds a spring and at a certain point it releases and cranks the saw. My wife bought one years ago because she can't pull the cord hard enough or fast enough to crank my bigger saws. Sthil built them for women and people with limitations such that they can't pull start a big saw. Pull as slowly as you like and it still works just fine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 11:53:50 PM »
I just got a stihl ms 180 c-be from my brother who just moved to an apartment. I am very hesitant to show my 11 year old son how to start it, I feel if I do there will be no trees left on my property and or he will be missing arms or legs. He doesn't yet have that voice in his head that says "perhaps this isn't a good idea", but he is working on it. Just about anyone who can pick up a 10lb dumbbell off the ground could start the saw its that easy.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:28:19 AM »
I could of damaged the woods at that age.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
I keep my battery saw when not in the back of my pickup in my garage. Where it handy if I have to cut a piece of lumber or something. No exhaust no warm-up and quiet.

But the quiet part can be a issue around small boys and girls.
Example was when I was about 8 years old on the farm. My brother was home from the logging camp and his 80cc or so Homelite XL was sitting in the shop.
I sneaked it behind the barn when only my Mom and younger siblings were home. They couldn't hear from the house right?
Well in my shorts and rubber boots I figured out how to start the old Homelite, even felled a few half dozen small poplars from the cow's wind break.
Would have probably felled more (Or myself) if Mom hadn't stopped me. :o

Normally my parents would have tanned my young hide if I started a camp fire in the grainery or something. But I think they were so surprised and relieved that I didn't kill myself with that saw that I got off without a sore behind.

So yeah a quiet battery saw may not be a good idea around children :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »
I just went out to the garage and locked up the battery saw as the kids are getting on the school bus :D

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »
My kids are also my biggest concern with the electric saws.  I currently just have an Oregon 40V pole saw (Very happy with it to.), but have been considering adding a battery operated chainsaw.

I am RELIGIOUS about removing the battery anytime I set the pole saw down as it is too easy for my curious toddler (or older siblings) to accidentally grab hold of it, "like daddy does".  Especially when they have their own electric toy tool set.   ;)

They are somewhat afraid of gas saws (mostly from the noise) and I do have to watch them around a hot exhaust, but off is off. Not sure if that trepidation would translate to a quiet electric... 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
I guess them battery saws could use a trigger lock!

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
As far a battery saws go I say if it fills your need why not, I find my little battery circular saw very handy especially for odd jobs at the camp with no power.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »
I guess them battery saws could use a trigger lock!
They do have a safety on switch that you have to push until it turns green to cut. It automatically turns off after sitting for about 30 seconds.
But yes the battery should be removed for kid safety. Just like a firearm clip and rounds.

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
I like that option.  My Oregon polesaw doesn't have that.  Don't know if their chainsaws do or not...
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline edwin dirnbeck

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Another good thing about an electric saw,it is easier to tell how well the cut is progressing because they are quieter and smoother. This is especially helpful for an occasional user. Edwin Dirnbeck

Offline LarryRB

• Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »
I bought the Stihl battery saw for my wife. She just loves using it for trim branches and small trees.

Offline WranglerSS

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
I bought the Stihl battery saw for my wife. She just loves using it for trim branches and small trees.

Same here.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
If there's a boat and motor at y'alls houses I'd be getting nervous  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Battery powered pole saw?

Started by thecfarm on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 07:29:26 AM
by 21incher
xx
Charger for battery powered tools

Started by Junior437t on General Board

16 Replies
Last post September 01, 2005, 05:15:47 AM
by dansaylor