Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: reefers for kilns  (Read 2095 times)

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
Re: reefers for kilns
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
This summer In Las Vegas I happened to strike up a conversation with a guy that buys and sells used containers. The bar tender later mentioned he was a regular and worth millions. He lives in a high rise on the strip. Is there a substantial markup on containers, it would appear so.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
When the railroad or freight carrier is switching the fleet from say 40 to 40hc, or 40 to 48, 48 to 53 ..  You know.. The constant push toward bigger better faster..  Theyll want to unload tremendous volumes of containers all at once to clear the yards for delivery of new containers.  Someone with deep enough pockets to buy them all and actually move them off site is gonna get quite the deal.  If you can afford to wait for the money back at market price, then yes profit margin will be substantial. 

At port in NJ a 40' will bring maybe $1800.  Few hours north in springfield i was selling them for $2500-4000 based on condition, delivered to end user.  If youre hiring out the transport then there is no savings but if you are the transporter, and youre buying bulk diesel and the truck is paid, then you get to pocket the markup.
Revelation 3:20

Offline jaciausa

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 05:21:41 AM »

I have been planning a kiln in my Great Dane reefer trailers for some time. I was not aware of the problem oak and aluminum have. How big of problem if the oak or other wood is air dried?
I was going to re insulate over the frp sidewalls and ceiling inside.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »
Air dried is better.  However, the inside of my reefer is stainless steel.  Is yours aluminum clad on the inside?
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 12:10:51 PM »
Wouldnt insulation and vapor barrier pretty well cure the corrosivity issue?

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
I may be wrong, but I thought all refers had an aluminum floor, no matter what the walls were lined with.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline jaciausa

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
I always thought my units were stainless on the floor, I need to go check the serial number and find the specs. Also take a magnet. I am in the process of finding another reefer trailer and I have found one with 3 side doors that is aluminum. I believe in any case I can retrofit and come out well ahead. I plan on spraying the foam and covering or using r board. I would already be started but received loads of dry lumber this summer that I need storage for. Any advise on the insulation or other is appreciated. Thanks

Offline jaciausa

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »
I am now sure that the floor and the outside must be aluminum. They did a fantastic job polishing the outside when this was built. It will just be another obstacle to contend with. Would ERC be any more corrosive then white oak, and are there any more woods that would cause problems?
Insulating the floor from the top and using a taller inverted track could work, but that gets me  to thinking that building from scratch would be the best option! Any steel placed inside also would corrode from the moisture.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
Paint it.  Works on bridges and battleships.

Btw stainless is nonmagnetic other than 400 series.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »
Steel will rust pretty bad in a kiln, galvanized steel even worse, but I don't think aluminum is in any real threat from corrosion failure in a kiln. 

I have two Nyle kilns, and both of the chassis of the units appear to be constructed of aluminum sheet metal maybe 1/8" thick.  Nyle wouldn't use it if it was a significant problem.

Also, I know the floor runners I can see are extruded alumimun and is one of the reasons I bought the reefer.  This structure makes the floor dead flat, and I look at it every time I load and unload the kiln, and I have seen no degradation at all.  It looks as good as the day I put it into service, more than two years ago.  In that time, I have had it running 24/7 and pump a load out every 7 to 9 days.

I would not hesitate to build more of these, they are maintenance free, and work extremely well.  Due to the total lack of chamber degrade and zero maintenance I prefer it over my stick built. 

Reply #26 has some pics of the floor
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82071.100.html

BTW, eastern red cedar is a lot tougher on the kiln machine than the chamber.  When dried, it vaporizes some of its oils and it condenses in the drip pan as a white crystal mashed potato looking material, and clogs up the drip tube and sometimes the drip pan. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline jaciausa

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »
I am glad I have the experienced help from all of you. My floor is not a duct aluminum floor, more of a continuous probably alum sheet metal.Metal only goes up about 18 inches on sides. The plastic coating most likely is glued on plywood- frp as it is fastened only on top/bottom. I am now going to use this the way it came, no insulation added except under floor. Outside probably is 300 grade stainless like one of you mentioned.
The food service industries use these type of trailers and many are available when they update there fleets. The units I bought were taken out of service because diesel emission rules outlawed there use in some states. Being a portable kiln could be a plus in some cases. It also means there are most likely some in every state ready to become kilns. Tell them its for cheap storage or they will up the price! 

Offline Cazzhrdwd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »
Steel will rust pretty bad in a kiln, galvanized steel even worse, but I don't think aluminum is in any real threat from corrosion failure in a kiln. 

I have two Nyle kilns, and both of the chassis of the units appear to be constructed of aluminum sheet metal maybe 1/8" thick.  Nyle wouldn't use it if it was a significant problem.

Also, I know the floor runners I can see are extruded alumimun and is one of the reasons I bought the reefer.  This structure makes the floor dead flat, and I look at it every time I load and unload the kiln, and I have seen no degradation at all.  It looks as good as the day I put it into service, more than two years ago.  In that time, I have had it running 24/7 and pump a load out every 7 to 9 days.

I would not hesitate to build more of these, they are maintenance free, and work extremely well.  Due to the total lack of chamber degrade and zero maintenance I prefer it over my stick built. 

Reply #26 has some pics of the floor
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82071.100.html

BTW, eastern red cedar is a lot tougher on the kiln machine than the chamber.  When dried, it vaporizes some of its oils and it condenses in the drip pan as a white crystal mashed potato looking material, and clogs up the drip tube and sometimes the drip pan.

Same with mine, never had a problem with the aluminum floor.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
no dry kilns

Started by hillbilly on Drying and Processing

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2005, 03:28:40 PM
by Dan_Shade
xx
How many have Kilns?

Started by Rick-Wi on Sawmills and Milling

29 Replies
Last post August 31, 2002, 11:48:49 AM
by Brian_Bailey