The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Ignition module  (Read 353 times)

Offline johnny newburgh

• Teach the young bloods
    • Share Post
Ignition module
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
Bought a stihl 031 in pieces  put it back together replaced gas tank seal, new gas cap, rebuilt carburetor, new fuel line and pick up line in tank. Had saw running but it ran erratic and lacked snappy response on low end. Then I watched some tube videos and got into doing vacuum and pressure tests. Carburetor checked out ok, fuel line good, impulse line good, Manifold good, No leaks on base gasket or case, pressure test on Crankshaft seals good, Failed vacuum test on crank seal. So then i replaced seals and saw still would not run good  and could not get max rpms with tach . then i remembered reading some one saying to reverse wires on coil. I can not remember what instructions said when i had installed module but I believe that was most of my issues. Started saw and the difference was amazing great throttle response and was able to hit max rpms no problem!!!! But it was short lived as i missed putting a thrust washer behind oiler spur gear that sits on top of new seal on clutch side. The friction of the gear riding on seal melted gear and seal stuck to it and pulled it out of case.  Anyway just got it back together with new seal and the thrust washer ahhahha. I will see what tomorrow brings when i fire it up!!!!  So if anyone has issues with ignition module ---not getting max rpms try reversing coil wires..

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Ignition module
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
 ;D You are going to be the go to guy on 031's.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline thedoublejranch

• 40+ acre timber farm
    • Share Post
    • The Double J Ranch and Timber Farm
Re: Ignition module
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
I had a Stihl 031 I got years ago, also a basket case. Put it all together, no spark. Factory module failed. It was a horseshoe shaped unit under the flywheel. Went to Stihl, got a replacement module that was mounted outside to aid in cooling. Ran flawless. Sold it several years back. I see the module is now obsolete. There is handy little universal ones, one is called a NOVAII and another by Kawasaki. Perfect to convert an old points system or replace a failed electronic unit.
Yes, the instructions said if it doesn't work one way, reverse the polarity at the module. I just did this exact conversion to al old 1984 Sachs Dolmar 133, dead ignition, no longer avaialble anywhere. Installed the NOVAII and away it went. I had a thread in here in it. Just use NOVAII in an amazon search, you will see it. About $13. Cheap enough to have a spare in stock/on hand.  ;D
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Shindaiwa 345 Ignition Module

Started by jteneyck on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 09:22:56 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Electronic ignition module

Started by bandmiller2 on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 03:08:06 PM
by pineywoods