The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Black Friday  (Read 842 times)

Online bigred1951

• logging and sawmilling
    • Share Post
Black Friday
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
Iíve never went before. Now that Iím standing here in Walmart I know why Iíve never went. But I know Iíll never go again

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Black Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
If you don't go once, you'll always think about those sweet deals you could get.  Good to see you've been immunized now.   :D

The only Black Friday shopping I'll even consider is online.  Won't even go to town if I can help it.   ;)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
Sorry TK, I've never been once and could care less about any deals, my time is a month after Christmas going to Bomgaars after they throw all the left over stuff in the bargain bins  ;) :D.

Online bigred1951

• logging and sawmilling
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »
I think if I ever go again Iíll do what my wife cousin does. She will go shopping after they advertise what will be on sale and get everything she wants and put it in lay away. Then on Black Friday some point during the day she will just get it out of layaway for the Black Friday prices

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
There is nothing in a Wal-Mart worth waiting in line for. ;D On the news tonight,  they showed people camping out outside Best Buy since last night. :D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a Logrite cant hook.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
Same old story.  ;D
I went to something? many years ago with my wife before she was my wife.  ;D
I went off on my own,for some reason I stopped before I stepped out into the aisle. Good thing too. Because by the time some women stopped her cart she was looking right into my eyes and her eyes was as big as pie plates. I looked at her and said,Yep,I think you should slow down too. And turned around and found the wife to be and told the her I am leaving. Man,that women would of knocked me down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »
red, some of us just have to learn our lessons the hard way. :D I won't go near the box stores for the next month, it just gets stupid. I don't need anything that badly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
Dee and the kids go every year.  They're pros ::)  They left home @ 5PM tonight and were back a little after 7 with what they wanted.  I'd rather pay a bit more and not deal with it  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »
I hate shopping on a normal day, so there is no amount of "savings" or "bargains" that could get me to walk into that insanity.  Even with 5 grandchildren, I haven't stepped into a store since home delivery was available.  Even before web shopping, gifts came from a catalog or there was no gift.  Want something that required a brick and mortar store?  Here's the money in an envelope, you can get it yourself. 

I shop online for Christmas gifts the second week in November.  Avoid the rush, avoid out of stock tears, and my UPS man loves me because my deliveries are over by Nov 30th at the latest. 

pc_smiley
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 07:04:12 AM »
I will spend Black Friday makeing 100 bord feet of 4 inch toung and grove to finish the last wall in my house

No stores for this grumpy old goat  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Online POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »
I went to Walmart this morning at 9am.
They had the good thick Wrangler Jeans at 10 bucks a pair.
I got 6 new pairs of Jeans.  8)
Where's the Spoon?

Offline Howdy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
There I was having just made a fresh pot of tea, sitting before the computer and easing into the new day.  My wife left a few minutes ago to pick up some cat food on sale at the local pet store (I didn't tell her I picked some up a few days ago cause I feared for my life).  The tea was hot, my chair was comfortable, and I was in my jammies when the call came. 

A flat tire.  Of course she thought the car ran a little funny but didn't worry about it as she was just going a few blocks away.  Getting out of the car she found the very flat tire and called me to see if she should just drive it to the tire shop.  I allowed that I could maybe come see what could be done and jumped into my shoes.  Finding her was easy enough as she had parked away from other cars a bit.  It sure was flat on the bottom and looked abused all around the rest. 

I haven't changed a tire in more than 40 years, and wasn't sure if a spare and jack was even in the trunk.  Thankfully a kind gentleman saw us and offered to assist.  I of course refused but he explained he had changed tires recently and I was gracious enough to allow him to assist.  We found a brand new space saving tire and jack that hadn't been disturbed in ten years just sitting under the trunk cover just where it should be.  There was even air in the spare!!

Changing the tire was easy enough, no rain, snow, ice, or cars parked too close.  All the nuts were easy to turn and the jacked worked good. A few minutes later the tire was changed and the good samaritan left with a smile knowing he had done a good deed.  I followed my wife to the tire shop three minutes after it opened.  My wife left to continue shopping while I waited for the repair.  The flat was caused by a screw, and would have been an easy fix but the sidewalls were chewed up by her driving on it.  $77 dollars later I had a replacement tire that matched the rest which only had 30K miles on them, and as the tire was rated for 100K miles the shop prorated the cost and I got a $120 tire for less. However as I had left home without my wallet the shop allowed me to pay later. 

I returned home took off my shoes and reheated my tea, and convinced (guilted) my wife into cooking me breakfast.  A good enough day and it was only 8:30 Am.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
Howdy you is one heck of a fine story teller  :) :) :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
Before I retired, I used to do a lot of online surveys.  This one year, they would ask a series of questions while I Black Friday shopped.  (This was the first and last time I did B.F.)  I basically typed that I was very disappointed in what the stores had to offer (I had a list of what I wanted from ads).  The best part, I got an "incentive" from the survey company of $75!!! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »
Howdy,

Reminds me of the time when my daughter was in her later teens and living at home. One day she came flying in the drive in the old '79 Pontiac Catalina in a cloud of dust, slid to a stop then backed up hill under the walnut into her normal parking space. When she walked in I told her "Kind of in a hurry aren't you?" She said "Yeah, I had to hurry. I was downtown and saw the right front tire was going flat so I had to rush home before it was totally down."

Of course she had just passed 3 gas stations, any one whom could have plugged the tire. Even if she did not have the money they all knew us and would have let us come in later to pay, if they even charged here. Of course that meant my son and I had to go out and change it.

One time when I was going to Pensacola Jr College before I went to AU, I walked out in the parking lot and a fellow student was standing there with his girlfriend and his car jacked up with an old fashioned bumper jack. (Truth be told I am glad the did away with those monsters.) He had it all the way to the last notch and the tire was a good 6" off the ground. He asked me "Hey man, do you know how to lower one of these?" I flipped the lever and cranked it then it ratcheted up a hair then lowered down a notch. I repeated and he said "Okay, I got it now." What threw him for a loop was that when he reversed the lever he still had to jack the handle which raised it a little which made him think it was still going up. He was very embarrassed but there are worse things in life.

Even worse was when I was the Good Samaritan and changed a lady's tire in a restaurant after church one Sunday. It was hot and I was wearing good clothes but had to help. After I had replaced the tire and lowered the jack it dropped pretty quick and she said "Be careful, my husband's asleep in the back seat and we don't want to wake him."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
black friday

Started by r.man on General Board

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2015, 12:03:10 PM
by sawguy21
cheesy
Black Friday???

Started by Tom on General Board

37 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 11:52:12 AM
by Left Coast Chris