The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: cutting weeds/grass on dam  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: cutting weeds/grass on dam
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 06:05:11 AM »
 :D Well if the story gets told you might be surprised how many mowers of a sort have taken a dip in a pond .Guilty myself .

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 06:27:22 AM »
Yeah, put one in my own self. Luckily it stopped before the engine was submerged: pulled it out with the backhoe, so no harm done except to my pride- wife wondered why I had two "tools" in use at the same time...

Got a zero turn now and that helps a lot but not on the water side of the dam. It won't climb to the top or even close on the down side, though. Slips a lot which tears up the sod making things even worse.

Gotta be some low cost and effective way to do this. Probably DoD has funded a laser powered version that is a military secret? Or Elon Musk has one that's battery powered?

How about this: three point hitch mounted rod held perfectly at 90 degrees but able to rotate up and done. Put an electric winch on it down to a push mower attached to the rod with a circular clamp that's bigger inside diameter than the rod so it can move up and down the rod. Every pass forward and backward, winch the mower up toward the top for another cut. Might be slow but seems like it might work. Any engineers out that for comment?

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
:D Well if the story gets told you might be surprised how many mowers of a sort have taken a dip in a pond .Guilty myself .

Guilty, and have photographic evidence that a Craftsman GT5000 is not, in fact, amphibious:
(my apologies to the OP for this topic drift, but hope you find this entertaining)

Back in December 2013 I was snow-blowing the pond for use as a skating rink. Prior to going out on the ice, I punched a hole in it about 6 feet out from shore to check the thickness. It was about 6" thick - plenty to support the little garden tractor (7" will support a car). I started snowblowing, spiraling in towards the center. As I got near the middle, I saw the ice change color. It was then I remembered that I had just turned off the bubbler a couple of weeks ago, which kept a hole open and the pond water oxygenated for the fish and amphibians. Just as I was thinking "I'd better call it quits here", the left rear wheel broke through... I thought "no way I'm driving out of this; better get the tractor and pull it out." then the right rear wheel broke through... and the tractor rear end started slowly sinking. As my seat approached the level of the ice/water, I rolled off and over to the shore. Fortunately, the machine hung from the snowblower on the ice, otherwise, it would have stayed on the bottom of the pond until the next summer. Even so, it took a bit of doing to get it out.

Hanging off the ice from the snowblower (pond is almost 15 feet deep at this spot)

Attaching the chain (it's about 15˚F/-9˚C out - fees even colder when you have to have your arms underwater searching for a place to attach the chain):

Could not pull it directly out. The ice was too thick. Had to use my rock bar to break a path:

The incredible Amphibious Craftsman GT5000 emerges from the deep (fortunately, it came to shore wheels down):

Fresh from the swimming lesson:

I was advised not to let it freeze, so it went in the garage with a heater aimed at it all night. The next day, it went in to the small engine shop in a neighboring town. Within 24 hours, he had it running. After draining all the water out of the engine and replacing gas an oil, all it needed was a new ignition switch and a starter.

Took this photo the following winter after the first pond clearing:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
Kbietz: I love the design but there seems to be something missing? Or is it just me?

I actually thought of a slightly more elaborate version of this design, using front and rear mounted pipes tied to one of the old riding mowers siting in the barn now... As to the riding mower suspended down slope- I need a way of shortening or lengthening both front and back connectors the same amount without having to jump off the tractor every time. Ideas?

Since it's all hinged, how about a small electric winch to crank it in and let it out? Not sure how well the mower deck would slide sideways, though, unless you replaced the wheels with some sort of pivoting caster. Or maybe it would pull sideways if you were rolling as you pulled?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
It will slip sideways before it flips.

Which could get interesting when there is a pond at the bottom of the slope. :D surfer-smiley
Yeah, there have been some heart stoppers, especially since the other side of the dam is bordered by a barb wire fence.  I kind of did an unexpected power slide down that side and got the mower stuck into the fence a few weeks ago, and had to pull it out with the 4wd. However since there were no witnesses, except the cows who know they better not spill the beans, it never happened.   ;D

Here one of our farm road embankments I mow with the zero turn.  For certain  reasons, it gets priority every fall.  I took this photo about a week ago.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
There's a reason the pro's use a hydraulic motor powered mower on the end of a boom to do this kind of mowing. An old push mower sounds like a good idea, BUT after a hour or so, the old briggs goes bang bang and seizes up. Most small gas motors, when tilted more than about 15 degrees, the splash lubrication for the con rod ceases to do the job. Unless you can find one of them REAL old lawn boy's with the 2 stroke motor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »
On that splash lube the 18 HP twins can be tipped to the left but to the right it will hang in a very short time .Snaps the connecting rods like tooth picks .I knew that but the former owners of two blown twins at my shop did not .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
An observation on zero turn mowers .It seems to me by design those that have the caster wheels in front will hold a slope much better than those with trailing casters .My Toro does good .My father had a Grasshopper that didn't .He'd get that thing stuck in a ditch bank and had to get his Jeep to pull it out .
Having said that just this past summer my buddy put about 3 feet of his Toro in his pond .He had a 4 wheeler on hand to save the day .
Another thing why pray tell they ever put tubeless tires on a lawn mower I'll never know .I tubed mine and as of yet never had a problem rolling the bead loose on a slope .Prior to I had a lot of problems .

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 06:33:52 PM »
On that splash lube the 18 HP twins can be tipped to the left but to the right it will hang in a very short time .Snaps the connecting rods like tooth picks .I knew that but the former owners of two blown twins at my shop did not .

Al - Are you referring to a specific brand of engine? How do you tell which way is left and which is right on a vertical shaft engine? (On a horizontal shaft, I'm guessing left and right are as view from the output side of the engine?) I'd love to get it straight so I can favor the best side when operating on a slope.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 06:20:45 AM »
Briggs vertical shaft flat head,14 to 19.5 HP .The grass blows out the right side referenced by being in the seat .You have to blow the grass up hill on a slope .
If I'm not mistaken the Kawasaki and Kohler engines are pressure lubed while the Briggs is a splash .
On that though the only thing I've personally seen the flat head used on was tractor type mowers not zero turns .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 06:24:11 AM »
Now talk about small engines my dad had an old Ford rider with a 16 HP Kohler single .That thing had a piston about the same size as a 350 Chevy .It high grass all it did was get louder .I think it's still sitting in the barn,has to be 40 years old .

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
An observation on zero turn mowers .It seems to me by design those that have the caster wheels in front will hold a slope much better than those with trailing casters .
We bought our Kubota Zero Turn for the purpose of mowing slopes that were way too steep for our tractor.  They are very low center of gravity and extremely stable when side sloping.  However, when they slip, the best maneuver is to spin the castors downhill, and simply roll and mow downhill.  However, when both back tires are slipping when going down hill, its too steep. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
Yep... Been there ... Done that...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
I got plenty of time mowing steep banks.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline LittleJohn

• I am not a professional, I just pretend I am...
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
Saw one of their ads the other day for these guys, Brielmeyer https://www.brielmaier.com/en/brielmaier-in-action/am-berg, not sure of cost or if they are even in the States.  But they sure do look pretty INTERESTING

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 11:30:18 PM »
Interesting....I'd say, looks like the sicklebar mower to have for the zombie apocalypse. It would give a literal meaning to mowing them down.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »
I put atv flotation tires on my zero turn because of the many times I slid into the pond. Best $60 I ever spent on it. Only thing is you cannot do a 180 degree turn unless you are rolling. It will tear a small circle in the grass.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
Saw one of their ads the other day for these guys, Brielmeyer https://www.brielmaier.com/en/brielmaier-in-action/am-berg, not sure of cost or if they are even in the States.  But they sure do look pretty INTERESTING

Well that is quite a bit more fancy than my 2 wheeled Gravely with sickle bar!  I might have to add dual wheel adapters.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »

They make "hill side" mowers .I've seen both tracked versions like a skid loader and wheeled versions .They hydraulically tilt the cab and engine portion of the machine and likewise the mowing part .No doubt they are probably very pricey .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
controlling weeds and grass

Started by Barney II on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 12:10:52 PM
by Barney II
xx
How do I keep weeds down in a new tree planting?

Started by Al on Ask The Forester

13 Replies
Last post December 28, 2007, 09:04:55 PM
by customsawyer
xx
apple trees and weeds

Started by marty on General Board

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2001, 12:05:48 PM
by Jeff
xx
What kind of weeds are these Dallas, TX

Started by ilzho on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2016, 08:00:16 PM
by Magicman