TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: What is the best diesel injector cleaner.  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
Re: What is the best diesel injector cleaner.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
I was going to use some Sea Foam, but I read that it contains alcohol.

And that made it a beverage??!  :D  Sorry, folks. Just had to be done.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline Skip

• Saw hard or stay home.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »
Sea Foam in every thing !

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
I assume you are getting white smoke until it clears up and starts running fine. I generally use howes in mine once in a while, but we used tranny fluid forever. If I think I really need to clean them, I like to fill the filter with it, then crank and let it run a few minutes, then kill it and let it sit overnight, with the pump, lines and injectors full of the cleaner.
It may also be time for you to run an overhead.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
I was going to use some Sea Foam, but I read that it contains alcohol.

And that made it a beverage??!  :D  Sorry, folks. Just had to be done.
Shaken, not stirred :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
😂😂😂Because alcohol attracts water, and can cause moisture problems down the line. No personal experience, I read it on the internet so I know it's true😁
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 09:59:20 PM »
😂😂😂Because alcohol attracts water, and can cause moisture problems down the line. No personal experience, I read it on the internet so I know it's true😁

Add a cup of water to your can of gas and shake it up...
Remove the water and the junk added alcohol will be gone.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »
This winter I'm going to set up a jug to do that K.
Do you have one?

Offline bodagocreek2

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
0ne ounce of atf for every gallon of fuel, 20 year old Kubota 2900.  seems to keep it running smooth.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »
A little bit of atf with every fill up keeps the doctor away, or something like that.  I add diesel  fuel treatment a couple times a year but do a splash of atf every time I dump 5 gallons into my Kubota.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
so your saying 1gal of atf/2cycle oil  every week  is to much  never had any trouble

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »

Add a cup of water to your can of gas and shake it up...
Remove the water and the junk added alcohol will be gone.

If it's E10 (10% ethanol) gasoline you are talking about, you'll also lose about 3 or 4 points off your octane rating by taking the ethanol out, so I hope you started with some premium grade gas, otherwise you've got some garbage on your hands (not a whole lot out of engines out there that specify 83 or 84 octane).

If it's diesel, I was not aware anyone was putting ethanol in that - except possibly as a fuel additive. Alcohol in fuel additives is most commonly used to help deal with water: it combines with the water and helps move it through the system. Alcohol becomes a problem when it has maxed out as far as the amount of water it can handle. At that point it settles out of the gas. That water/alcohol mix sitting at the bottom of your fuel can or tank is corrosive. It also does not mix well with the lubricating oil in a 2-stroke engine.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
Is there a difference in on road and off road diesel other than a tax and color?

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
No it's the same

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
2 years ago I got some dirty fuel in my generator tank. The engine is a C series Cummings. It started smoking so bad it filled the valley and people where stopping because of it.  The engine started making oil. The blow by was oil mist. I pulled the fuel lines out and put them in a clean  barrel of kerosene and several brands of inj. cleaner. NO change. Next I dumped out 1 fuel filter and filled it with sea foam. This fixed half the problem and I kept sawing [and smoking ] for 2 months with no more improvement. Next with the warmer weather I went to 50% vegetable oil fuel. After a few days it cleared up completely.

Offline Runningalucas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »
No it's the same

Can you explain?  In my area the off road diesel pumps read: Off-road Diesel
                                                                                              kerosene
Or something near that, and I've always assumed it to be truly kerosene rather than dyed on road diesel; I actually assumed it would be the older more lubricating stuff.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »
What area are you in that sells kerosene for off road diesel. There is no difference between off road and on road diesel except for the die, we don't even have died fuel here. There is a difference in summer and winter blend and that is different from area to area, depending on average temps.

Offline Runningalucas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2017, 02:49:58 AM »
What area are you in that sells kerosene for off road diesel. There is no difference between off road and on road diesel except for the die, we don't even have died fuel here. There is a difference in summer and winter blend and that is different from area to area, depending on average temps.

North Idaho, almost all service stations have an 'off road diesel/kerosene' pump; it's quite a bit cheaper, more so than no tax added.  I think something like 50 cents, to a buck cheaper.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 03:52:23 AM »
50 cents to a buck sounds right as far as price difference goes, depending on the state.

Winter blend probably has some kero in it, but never heard it advertised as so. The winter blend the state uses on the north slope is mostly kero, you get terrible mileage with it.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »
I also know it that way too,snowstorm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »
If its a kubota and smokes like that, if it were me, I'd pull the injectors and take them in to be cleaned and repaired before it wash's down the cylinder and you score a bore, thinking those engines have no sleeve's but I could be wrong. 

The injectors should be easy to get out, just take off the lines and unscrew them or take the hold down bolt out and twist the injector out.     

Anything less with a diesel is just a temporary fix and probably won't last long, I've never bought injectors or had them done on any of my Kubota's as of yet, but done about everything else and most injectors are pretty cheap to fix and have the worn parts replaced and then the fix it shop can do a poppet test on them to know if the spray pattern is right and it should run as many hours next go around as the last. 

You also might have a pump issue, not sure on that model of engine, but is there a screen or anything in the pump that might be dirty or in need of replacing.    By just doing the poppet test, the shop should be able to tell you if you have a pump issue or if its in the injector itself.     

I have several Isusu engines that have a banjo screen in the system that needs cleaning regularly, but don't recall any of my Kubota's needing that done.     

As for all diesel being the same, that depends on WHO your buying from and where they are at, diesel at the pumps are inspected regularly by inspectors, most all offroad fuel isn't, so what does this mean to you, it means any diesel that can't pass inspection, goes for offroad use, same goes for any fuel coming off a truck, most is not inspected, so in theory, the best quality fuel is at a service station out of a pump, the poorest is delivered to you at your home, shop or farm because inspectors don't come to your place to pull samples.       

All diesel is clear when its first made, only offroad is dyed red and no tax is supposed to be on it for road fuel, but sales tax applies in my state for anything not farm related on dyed fuel.     

Then there are grades of diesel, premium is the best, some call it by other names and depending on what fuel additives are in it, will determine what fuel you want and when.     There is also number one fuel, which is thinner and for winter use, but lowers hp and increases fuel consumption, but tends to not jell up as much or as fast in cold weather.   Number two is standard, and some use blends of number one and number two in the winter, some fuel stations use additive packages in the winter, some use different additives in the summer as well, just depends on who your buying fuel from and who they sell to and what those customers want for additives.      Then there is also bio fuels, or blends of bio diesel, not something I'd recommend in the winter at all.   

All diesel sold today is low sulfur to my knowledge, which has lower lube levels in it due to less sulfur, which can cause issues with older diesels, which might be part of the problem with your Kubota, and the reason why I'd pull the injectors and have them checked over by a good shop.       

I'm not fond of the crap in a can cures myself for diesels, for the cost of those additives I can pull the injectors and rebuild them over the live of the additives and I know what I have is good and should run x number of hours before needing attention again, best of luck on whatever you do.   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
F250 - 6.0 Diesel Injector Stiction and Hot Shot Secret

Started by submarinesailor on General Board

13 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 07:19:38 PM
by snowstorm
xx
Diesel Primary pump from tank to injector pump

Started by Ironwood on General Board

19 Replies
Last post January 25, 2005, 08:12:11 PM
by Ironwood