Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: What is the best diesel injector cleaner.  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
Re: What is the best diesel injector cleaner.
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
I might have another problem. I'm now running cleaner through it but if I
pull back the throttle under anything but full throttle it drops one cylinder and
it's hard for it to pick it back up unless I give it full throttle and put it under
a load. It will smoke like crazy till it picks up the lost cylinder. If I keep it
full throttle it will run fine all day.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline woodmaker

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
I dont know if your Kubota  has hydraulic lifters  or solid lifters,but from its age I would guess solid(mechanical). If i had the problem  that you are having,I would remove the  valve cover and make certain that each valve had the specified clearance between the rocker arm and the valve stem. If there is too little clearance,a valve may not be closing completely,and without compression,a diesel wont make enough heat to ignite the fuel .  This is what is called "to run the rack",which was mentioned earlier
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Offline woodmaker

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2017, 08:52:16 PM »
Sorry,starmac called it "run an overhead" . same thing.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 06:06:16 AM »
If its an adjustment issue with the valves, it should run terrible when its cold and improve as the engine warms up, or vice versa, as the engine warms up clearances or the gap in the valve set will change.    Running the rack is pretty simple and fast to do, just pull the valve cover off and take the measurements with a feeler gauge.   

I'd suggest you measure it first before doing anything, jot down the findings so you can look at them to compare what it should be, especially for the cylinder causing you issues, and if the gap is in relation to the other cylinders, or the wear is the same across all cylinders, adjust them to spec and start it up with the cover off, if no change, go from there.   

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 06:24:10 AM »
Forgot to ask, does it drop the same cylinder ever time, or has this issue changed cylinders at all since the problem started??

A very fast and simple test for injector, provided the problem has always been on the same cylinder is to switch injectors in holes and see if the problem stays in the same cylinder or follows the injector and go from there.    If it stays with the same cylinder, then its the pump or in the head, if it moves to the cylinder you put the injector, then its certain to be the injector, if that makes sense.   Its a simple way to narrow down the problem, somewhat and really simple and fast to do.   

If this issue has changed cylinders, with no parts being changed or moved, then you have a different set of issues to content with.   

Also have you narrowed down which cylinder is causing the issue yet??

If not when the engine is cold, upon start up, the dead or not firing cylinder won't warm up as fast, and I'd use a heat gun myself, but your hand will work too, touch or point the heat gun on the exhaust manifold and the dead hole will remain colder that the rest, where the exhaust exists the engine.

You can switch injectors pretty fast and I'd do this before pulling the valve cover off to see if the problem moves with the injector or not, if it stays with the same cylinder, then its not the injector, run the rack, if that doesn't solve it, its probably the pump.      Sorry about forgetting to mention this before.   

If the problem has moved all on its own, with no parts being moved or any adjustments being made, that would change things considerably and I'd like to know right away, I'd have to think on that somewhat, its rare but happens, also how many hours have you put on it since this whole ordeal started.   

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 09:01:47 AM »
Black smoke from a diesel is partially burned fuel.  Unburned fuel is bluish white and smells like diesel fuel.  As an example; a restricted fuel filter can cause black smoke. Some how the ignition changes timing because less fuel  and the diesel starts smoking black when in fact its not getting enough fuel.  I say, with diesels, forget everything you ever new about gas engines.

Offline carhartted

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »
Amsoil AMF. Run it 50/50 Deisel. Had a friend with a JD450 running very poorly and almost changed the pump. Sent him my 5 gallon pail of cleaner and it fixed the issue.
Here's to making sawdust.

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
    • Elite Concrete Raising Co.
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »
I'm late to the discussion but thought I'd share my story.  It's pertinent. 

4 years ago, my 95' International 4700 (DT466) was really losing power up hills and just running poorly.  Long story short, I took it to my local diesel mechanic, who has a reputation in the area as being the best.

He disconnected my fuel tank, hooked up a pressure tank of straight ATF, and ran the truck on it.  I couldn't believe what a difference it made!  Full power restored, and the truck was running unbelievably well right after.  Inexpensive injector cleaning process.

He told me, from then on, to put 2 cans of SeaFoam in every other fillup (50 gallon tank).  I've been using that stuff ever since, and also in my boat (2 stroke), pickup truck, and lawn equipment, and it has made a HUGE difference for me.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Offline pappy19

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »
Marvel Mystery Oil, just use the recommended amount in the fuel.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
Looks like a good find in the junkyard just at the right time...

buda hydraulic diesel nozzle tester

Wow... One just like it on E-bay for $400.00 + $60.00 shipping.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
Do you have the pressure specs for the injectors and have you checked any of them yet?     

Offline Runningalucas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
Hopefully, I don't step on any toes, but I also frequent a truck forum.  Recently while reading their technical articles, I came across a fuel additive showdown thread.  I've been using mystery oil additive, and was shocked how far down the list it was. 

http://www.oilburners.net/threads/fuel-additives-which-ones-are-best.33429/
CONCLUSIONS:

Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities behind these poor results will investigated.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a +/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

CREDITS:

This study would not have been possible without the participation of all companies involved and dieselplace.com. A special Thank You to all of the dieselplace.com members who generously donated toward this study and waited longer than they should have for the results. You folks are the best. Arlen Spicer, organizer.

Offline Randy88

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 07:18:51 AM »
Runningalucas, thanks for posting the study test results, I've seen several similar tests done over the years and all were similar in results.     What I'd like to see and if you can find it, please post it, where those products that are so popular that contain alcohol that are used for the purpose of drying out moisture or encapsulating the moisture to get it to flow through the filters and pump to get it to burn, and what the water does to the system.     

Then a study, where you dump in multiple products, at multiple rates, because almost all diesel is treated with an additive before it reaches its final destination or end user now, then the end user dumps in his or her favorite additive at their own rate in as well. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
F250 - 6.0 Diesel Injector Stiction and Hot Shot Secret

Started by submarinesailor on General Board

13 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 07:19:38 PM
by snowstorm
xx
Diesel Primary pump from tank to injector pump

Started by Ironwood on General Board

19 Replies
Last post January 25, 2005, 08:12:11 PM
by Ironwood