Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: battery vs. ez start  (Read 765 times)

Offline woodmaker

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
battery vs. ez start
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »
Hi all. I would like some input from some members with experience in a couple types of saws. My dad is 93,and is having trouble pulling his little stihl ms250 over fast enough to start it . My thought is either a battery  saw or one of the Stihl saws with ez start.
 Any thoughts?  does anyone have experience with ez start?  thanks
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
Re: battery vs. ez start
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
I now have a ms 180 c-be with the easy start its easy to pull and get it to crank its less then 10 lbs but if I was going to get one for someone that was 93 or had problems pulling a starter rope I would go battery. I've actually been thinking heavily about a small battery saw. HolmenTree has a 1 man tree service business and loves his top handle Husqvarna battery saw, if its good enough for him, its good enough for me.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Maine372

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
those battery saws aren't to be scoffed at. you cannot go into it expecting a gas saw, its a totally different animal. used one to trim cants at a sawing contest. kinda nice to not need ear protection. another advantage is that the chain stops about like somone who as their chain to tight on a gas saw. cuts down on the injuries from the coasting chain.

Offline upnut

• Wood Tick
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:08:38 AM »
My 70 year old sister, cancer surviving farm gal, owns and uses an E-Z start Stihl. She cuts most of her own firewood and loves it. If your dad is going to work on firewood, or cut volumes of wood, a gas saw is best. I own a Stihl 120 C-BQ which is designed and sold as a trimming/pruning saw, not intended for felling/bucking saw logs. I have used it for trimming back trails, cutting up limbwood and small campfire wood, and find it quite useful. Not knowing your dad's physical conditions or requirements, I'm guessing a battery saw would work great. When the saw needs a recharge, so would he! Good luck!

NOT!.... :D....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
My battery saw is a 40v "Brushless" Ryobi and it is crazy how it cuts.  :o  I already had the hedge trimmer and weed whacker that uses the same battery so this was an easy choice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »
Not sure if any of you have needed to repair a Stihl Easy Start, but basically it is just a large spring that you load up when you pull the rope.
So, how fast you pull it is irrelevant .

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
The intended use for the chainsaw after it is running has to be taken into consideration.  Size of logs and duration is important.  I sawmilled for an "older" customer (late 80's) that had an Easy Start and he handled it very well.

I use my battery saw for "wifely" stuff around the house.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »
Magic are you gonna get the 40v snowblower and push mower next ? Keep us updated on how well that 40v chainsaw works or doesn't work. I already have the multi use trimmer and nearly all of the add-on attachments that work with it and the 40v turbo leaf blower that works rather well.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2nd battery in car?

Started by Furby on General Board

19 Replies
Last post May 07, 2003, 03:50:19 AM
by ADfields
xx
New battery's

Started by Bruno of NH on General Board

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2015, 04:40:34 PM
by whiskers