The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Timberframe Cutting Timeline  (Read 1594 times)

Offline jaciausa

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Timberframe Cutting Timeline
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
I believe the over the top full length wpine will work fine for saving time for me. Wouldn't the joists be laterally braced with the flooring? The joists in my case will be wide in relation to size.

Also is the idea of dovetailing full depth of joist over the beams bad, as in end grain and shrinking?

Is there a simple lap joint that would be appropriate in w pine so I could keep with the simple approach in milling the w pine with bandsaw mill, cutting "that joint" that will be over the beam and leaving long at the outside of structure until erection of structure?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
I was writing too much, that applies to rectangular timbers but sitting here with the log standard there is nothing about blocking a log beam, so use good judgment.

From that standard
Section Properties for Sawn Round and Unsawn Round Timber Beams shall be in accordance with table 302.2(2)

This calc is using that table and the log design values from that standard.
http://www.forestryforum.com/members/donp/logbeamcalc.htm

Because you are not damaging the fibers along the bottom and sides of the log it has much higher strength design values than a sawn beam. #2 Eastern white pine in a top skimmed log joist has a bending strength of 925psi. The same grade in a rectangular beam would be 525psi in bending.

This is the part on notching rules for log beams
Notches on the edges of bending members shall not be located in the middle third of span. Notches in the outer thirds of span shall not exceed one sixth of the actual member depth and shall not be longer than one third the depth of the member. Where notches are made at the supports they shall not exceed one fourth of the actual log depth.
The last sentence of that is something to be mindful of when you are looking at taper in your joists. You need to be able to create a nice flat over each bearing without overnotching or blowing the joist height in relation to its neighbors... figure out the range they need to be within at each end. You can tune some with your flat on top but it is limited to 3/10 of radius at any point max, and that is excessively deep in my mind.

I was looking this up for another thread not related to this exactly but if someone is looking for info later. The log standard is silent on round columns, the NDS has this;
Round Columns; The design of a column of round cross section shall be based on the design calculations for a square column of the same cross sectional area and having the same degree of taper
(use the small end and you can forget the taper)

If the midbeam is wide enough for bearing of each joist landing on it I've simply butted them over the beam and lag them down. If more tension restraint is needed you can run steel strapping across the tops of the joists underneath the flooring to tie them together.

LOL, too much again

Offline jaciausa

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
Excellent job in explaining.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

clip
Cutting time for a timberframe?

Started by Satamax on Timber Framing/Log construction

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 02:02:17 AM
by Satamax
xx
Big Timeline Table

Started by YellowHammer on General Woodworking

41 Replies
Last post June 12, 2018, 05:54:14 PM
by btulloh