The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money! sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Council Tool

Baker Products

Author Topic: monitoring environment in solar kiln  (Read 1284 times)

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
Re: monitoring environment in solar kiln
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
C Tink...
Your activities reminded me that my first job after graduating from high school was with the US Weather Bureau assembling an automatic weather station (Automatic Meteorlogical Observing Station called AMOS).  Back then we used transistors and permanently wired the computer by plugging wires into circuit boards.   The AMOS stations communicated with the world automatically using teletype machines every 30 minutes or so.

Well, on July 3, another employee and I were told to go to a station in Front Royal, VA and test a new precipitation sensor.  We took squirt guns to make it seem like it was raining. We took dry ice, which we scratched to make it seem like least the sensor thought so.  So, after our successful tests, we drove back home to Washington, DC for the 4th of July holiday.  When we showed up back to work on the 5th, our boss showed us an article in the NYTimes that commented that it had been snowing in VA in the mountains a few days earlier.  He was not too happy, as we had forgotten to take the station off-line when we did our tests, so the dry-ice snow event was sent throughout the world as an official event.  Of course, I was only 17 years and 10 months old, so what did I know?  Seems funny now.  Some day I have to find that article and show it to my grandkids.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Monitoring Temp & RH in a Solar Kiln

Started by JackLeg on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 08:31:31 PM
by JackLeg
Alternative methods of monitoring the kiln load

Started by jimF on Drying and Processing

1 Replies
Last post December 24, 2014, 09:53:35 PM
by jimF
Mental Exercise! Hybrid kiln design (solar drying concept w/o solar heat)

Started by scsmith42 on Drying and Processing

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 10:51:46 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
DC solar powered fans for Solar kiln

Started by Paddock Jack on Drying and Processing

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 07:48:26 AM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc