The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Building stuff knowledge i don't seem to have  (Read 2150 times)

Offline 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Building stuff knowledge i don't seem to have
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 08:01:18 PM »
Bracing the poles and beams is going to be the trick both in the plane of the beam and also in the plane of the trusses

I wonder if he needs all of his 20' spans @ full height or just at the log loading area? Even 2 of the spans with some stout 45's for bracing would do a lot, and for the truss plane. End walls would be just perfect along with maybe an added LVL (front to back) with another set of 45's.(diag. brackets/bracing/gusset) pick your local terminology :D in the middle.

Offline Holmes

• Senior Member x2
  • 1840 house
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
 I am not a big fan of setting something 18" tall on top of the posts unless it sits in a full depth welded steel saddle.  The beams could be place between the posts with " joist hangers" or welded hangers. You would be handling less weight, make them up yourself , set them with a lift. You just need to cut the poles higher. 
  When they put the trusses on my barn they preassembled 4 trusses on the ground and raised them in place with a crane, 4 lifts took less than 2 hours to put all the trusses up.
Think like a farmer.

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »
711, i want a consistent ceiling height throughout so that i can drive loader/forklift/truck/whatever anywhere in the building. I also want 20ft openings everywhere for the same luxury of hauling wood wherever. Or at least until i start closing in the walls. But you had me thinking there for a while until i realized what i just said.

Holmes, good point. My carpenter was going to notch the poles and create a saddle of sorts but i'll see if he wants something stronger. With your idea of hanging the beams between the poles ....... I don't have 20ft logs to mill my own beams but i could get my rafter guy to make that style of truss to sit in that gap and into the fabricated truss hangers. And that could be a fair bit cheaper than LVL. I'm gonna check that out.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »
I am not a big fan of setting something 18" tall on top of the posts unless it sits in a full depth welded steel saddle.  The beams could be place between the posts with " joist hangers" or welded hangers. You would be handling less weight, make them up yourself , set them with a lift. You just need to cut the poles higher. 
  When they put the trusses on my barn they preassembled 4 trusses on the ground and raised them in place with a crane, 4 lifts took less than 2 hours to put all the trusses up.

My daughter roughed this for me. Now, if that idea seems workable all I need is someone to help design a floor truss style of beam that I can build to go in there. Currently drawn for a 4" wide beam but can be done for almost any width.

2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Online Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 12:31:26 AM »
I used to own a float house  on ten mile lake , Oregon coast that was about 40' long  25' wide and had a 20' free span center beam for the front room.  the beam was 40'. The structure was over 40 years old when I sold with no sag. The Beam was made using 20" x 8'  3/4" plywood sandwiched between 2"x10"s one above the other, glued and screwed together on each side of the ply, very stiff . we did not have much snow but high winds most winters. I would not be afraid of a 20' span between posts with a sandwich beam made like that. If you wanted more put 1/2" ply on the outside mismatching the ends.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
Kinda hard for me to draw but If you could mount some 1/2" thick angle iron in a saddle of the pole and sit your beams on top of the angle and bolt everything fast to the pole that sure would make it strong.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
In your mind push on the pole in each direction like a roof on an unenclosed building in the wind. Start welding bracing on that angle :(

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:18 AM »
In your mind push on the pole in each direction like a roof on an unenclosed building in the wind. Start welding bracing on that angle :(
I agree 100 percent...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
looking for my first saw, looking for knowledge

Started by moose207 on Chainsaws

26 Replies
Last post October 14, 2017, 09:56:53 AM
by moose207
xx
All those with Blackbutt knowledge...

Started by sigidi on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post March 19, 2005, 05:38:23 PM
by sigidi