Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Cast Iron Mattison behemoth...  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Cast Iron Mattison behemoth...
« on: December 25, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
Had a glance at a many headed moulder that needs a serious forklift/crane to move....8-10,000 pounds  according to the owner. All the motors work but its old. Can get it for a couple grand Canadian. I dont know nothing about these machines cept not wanting a lighter duty Logosol/baker etc. Am I wasting my time here ?? Or can these machines produce??
THx.
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline longtime lurker

• Share Post
Re: Cast Iron Wadkin behemoth....
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 09:55:03 PM »
Depends on what model it is.

No such thing as a bad Wadkin, they're a "built to last forever" machine of outstanding quality.  The wadkin moulders are up there with Weinig and Rex and Pinheiro in the top tier of manufacturers, parts tend to be available after a search and what you can't buy a good machine shop can build.

Bad side is that the earlier model machines can be finicky as with most machines of that generation. Setup times are longer and require a degree of precision the modern digital stuff doesn't. Not impossible - but it's operator level care rather than trained monkey stuff.  Find out a model and number of heads and I might be able to give more than general advice... im pretty familiar with the GD and GA series from the 80's

If the bed isnt worn and depending what tooling comes with it, probably worth a look. The real old dolls with a cast iron bed you really need to look at the bed with care. Beds are rebuildable but the dollars start to add up to more modern second hand values quick.

Weight in a moulder is good.  Those modern lightweights suffer for want of steel which is why they don't last long. 

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
Depends on what model it is.

No such thing as a bad Wadkin, they're a "built to last forever" machine of outstanding quality.  The wadkin moulders are up there with Weinig and Rex and Pinheiro in the top tier of manufacturers, parts tend to be available after a search and what you can't buy a good machine shop can build.

Bad side is that the earlier model machines can be finicky as with most machines of that generation. Setup times are longer and require a degree of precision the modern digital stuff doesn't. Not impossible - but it's operator level care rather than trained monkey stuff.  Find out a model and number of heads and I might be able to give more than general advice... im pretty familiar with the GD and GA series from the 80's

If the bed isnt worn and depending what tooling comes with it, probably worth a look. The real old dolls with a cast iron bed you really need to look at the bed with care. Beds are rebuildable but the dollars start to add up to more modern second hand values quick.

Weight in a moulder is good.  Those modern lightweights suffer for want of steel which is why they don't last long.
Thanks. Ill get some model numbers etc.....

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »
I agree about the bed plate

Another costly concern is knives.

It is likely that bearings need replacement for fine work. Does it include indeed and outfeed tables?

Appreciate that the reconditioning costs can be covered if you have a lot of production.

Is the mill that is selling making 2x4s, hardwood flooring, molding? 

Do you need 220 v. Three phase?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
I agree about the bed plate

Another costly concern is knives.

It is likely that bearings need replacement for fine work. Does it include indeed and outfeed tables?

Appreciate that the reconditioning costs can be covered if you have a lot of production.

Is the mill that is selling making 2x4s, hardwood flooring, molding? 

Do you need 220 v. Three phase?
I have only had a passing glance at this machine but will investigate it more carefully in coming days. The relativly low price makes me worried about things you mentioned like the table etc. It is three phase, I have an idle 50 kw unit but not sure if its enough for this particular machine. The owner is emailing me model numbers etc so I can research abit before going to view/make offer....heh....

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
Not knives so much as cutterheads... make sure at least a set of straight cutterheads come with it otherwise you are looking at several grand right out of the box.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Re: Cast Iron Mattison behemoth...
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:14 PM »
Well my bad. Apparently its a Mattison 229. I found 5 heads/side heads are 7.5 hp each and the bottom and two top heads are 20 hp each. The motors look propriatary. Its been in the weather for a couple years. Lost of rust everywhere. Covered in snow right now....is that a deal breaker?? Looks like alot of work

Offline trim4u2nv

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:15 AM »
I have 3 mattison 229s all 4 head 15 hp top/bottom. 15hp and 4 head was much more common than 20hp.   It probably weighs closer to 11000 pounds.   If left outside the horizontal heads can rust to the point you cant adjust thickness.  It would take a 20hp dust collector to clear chips also.  I have run 2 machines with a 3rd for parts for 14 years.  They are a really robust machine.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
I have 3 mattison 229s all 4 head 15 hp top/bottom. 15hp and 4 head was much more common than 20hp.   It probably weighs closer to 11000 pounds.   If left outside the horizontal heads can rust to the point you cant adjust thickness.  It would take a 20hp dust collector to clear chips also.  I have run 2 machines with a 3rd for parts for 14 years.  They are a really robust machine.
Thanks for the info. I may pass on this machine. Will need a 100 kw genset to run it. The you tubes Ive seen on these machines is impressive though. Just this one is more work than Im up for and prolly larger than I need.

Offline trim4u2nv

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
I saw 2 of those setup to make cabin siding.  I think the ran on 150kw generator setup.  If it has hydroloc safety heads 2k is a good price.  If it has slick steel heads 1000 to 1200 usd would be more in line.  Open the pb switch panels and look at the starters make sure mice didnt get inside.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
I saw 2 of those setup to make cabin siding.  I think the ran on 150kw generator setup.  If it has hydroloc safety heads 2k is a good price.  If it has slick steel heads 1000 to 1200 usd would be more in line.  Open the pb switch panels and look at the starters make sure mice didnt get inside.
i don稚 know what a hydroloc head is or a slick steel one. I知 a newbe when it comes to this kinda stuff. Please explain if you have the time. Thanks

Offline trim4u2nv

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
Hydrolock heads have a grease fitting and clamp by hydraulic pressure to the motor shaft.   Usually more modern and have grooves like a sawtooth ground in the head and cutter blade.   The grooved heads are referred to as safety heads.  Slick steel heads usually have a collet and large ring nut to tighten onto the motor shaft.  The slick steel blades are flat on both sides and retained by a gib like a jointer head typically has.  The oldest type of head is square with slotted blades and low profile nuts holding the blade in. (Dangerous).

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »
Okay. Thanks. The one head I did get a look at was the last top head or the fifth one. I recollect grooves in it and there were grease fittings I noticed that were directly in line with head centers or possibly motorshafts all though on the opposite side of the motors.

The table was covered in ice so I  could not inspect it closely. There were about 4 more electrical switches in addition to the five head switches. I also noticed an air cylinder on the input end. There were levers with rulers behind them and a couple of 1/2 inch ratchets, one on each side about midship with about a 1.25 socket on it. I知 assuming something Thst is adjusted often.

Thanks again for your help. I知 reconsidering thanks to your input although I have no idea how I could power it. Sigh

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 11:22:46 PM »
That could be made to be a great machine, question is how much work will it take and is it worth it?  Back in the 70's and 80's I operated a 229 looked just like it (minus the snow). If properly set up, it will do way better than the logosol or any of its knockoffs. Side heads both tilt to 45ー to the top side and I think 15ー to the lower side of the stock.  All five heads adjust horizontally and vertically. Jointers attach to all 5 heads.  If you have a choice, go with the hydraulic heads.  They are quick and easy to lock heads to spindles and even quicker to unlock.  I've never had a hydraulic head come loose which is more than I can say for standard heads.

If I had the power to run a machine of that size, it would be my first choice of any American made moulder. I've run other Mattison machines but the 229 is by far the best imo.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 08:35:14 PM »
That could be made to be a great machine, question is how much work will it take and is it worth it?  Back in the 70's and 80's I operated a 229 looked just like it (minus the snow). If properly set up, it will do way better than the logosol or any of its knockoffs. Side heads both tilt to 45ー to the top side and I think 15ー to the lower side of the stock.  All five heads adjust horizontally and vertically. Jointers attach to all 5 heads.  If you have a choice, go with the hydraulic heads.  They are quick and easy to lock heads to spindles and even quicker to unlock.  I've never had a hydraulic head come loose which is more than I can say for standard heads.

If I had the power to run a machine of that size, it would be my first choice of any American made moulder. I've run other Mattison machines but the 229 is by far the best imo.
Wow! Thats quite a recommendation. The guy wants 2K for it and the local scrap metal guy is paying a little over 100.00 per ton. My guzzintas say I can recover about half my money if its a dud/too much work. Thats a 1000 dollar risk....hmmmmmm

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:53 PM »
Take a dial indicator and check all five spindles. If any one of them is more than .003 out, walk away.  If the bearings are bad, they can be replaced without breaking the bank.  I'd plan on replacing the bed plates or at least getting them surfaced, again, not a bank breaker and you may get lucky and not have to do it. The feed system most likely has what is called a lagbed (spelling) on the bottom instead of rollers, it's a wide chain, about 8" in width.  These would wear and start moving up and down a bit, causing the stock to move up and down under the first top head.  Two solutions, the Cheaper of the two will work if you are only using the first top head to size stock and using the second top head to finish or put on a profile.  Bad surface from first top head gets cut off. The better solution is to ditch the lagbed system and replace it with bottom feed rollers.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Wow! That's quite a recommendation. The guy wants 2K for it and the local scrap metal guy is paying a little over 100.00 per ton. My guzzintas say I can recover about half my money if its a dud/too much work. That's a 1000 dollar risk....hmmmmmm
I thought the guess was 11,000 lbs?  At $100/ton, that would only get you $550. (11,000/2,000*100).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
Wow! That's quite a recommendation. The guy wants 2K for it and the local scrap metal guy is paying a little over 100.00 per ton. My guzzintas say I can recover about half my money if its a dud/too much work. That's a 1000 dollar risk....hmmmmmm
I thought the guess was 11,000 lbs?  At $100/ton, that would only get you $550. (11,000/2,000*100).
Thanks for the math correction. I知 a metric guy and get confused easily. As Jethro said 的 done graduated highest in the class. Was a foot taller than the rest of them.🤡🤡

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
Having bought a 10,000 lb Vonnegut when steel was at 12 cents thinking "How can I go wrong". Eh, some boat is going to need a new anchor one day  :D

Offline longtime lurker

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Yeah I've bought a few boat anchors in my time too. If the scrap guy is paying a hundred a ton and he's the only other buyer in sight then its worth about $150 a ton is my new "non working antique" pricing system. Theoretically speaking... I always end up paying more.

I'd probably buy it if I had the $ spare, subject to the spindle wear being acceptable. Personally I've always had a preference for that last generation of "mechanical systems" equipment (to differentiate it from the next generation which was the start of the digital controllers). Pretty simple, without the techno worries of the newer stuff or the need to be an engineer headaches of the older stuff.

Work it backwards. If a similar vintage Weinig or similar sells for $x this thing is worth $x minus a bed surface and a set of bearings and the lagbed replaced, and a quick sandblast and respray. Worst case it is more interesting then a collection of garden gnomes or pink flamingos on your lawn anyway.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
welding cast iron

Started by LeeB on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post January 15, 2005, 06:53:21 PM
by Al_Smith
xx
Cast iron circulator

Started by Central Boiler 6048 on Firewood and Wood Heating

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2015, 11:42:32 AM
by WmFritz
xx
Cast Iron Pans

Started by TreeStandHunter on General Board

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 05:33:36 PM
by loggah
xx
What's the best way to season Cast Iron

Started by Chuck White on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:11:20 AM
by pappy19