The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Surfacing equipment for slabs  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Surfacing equipment for slabs
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »
if looking at cnc routers you have 2 different type.

you have flat table router style that has a sacrificial MDF table that vacuums that suck the part to the table through the MDF. These work very well for large items. The only time I have had issues with them is when I start with a 4x8 of white melamine and start cutting drawer parts out of it. The more cuts you make through the stock the less vacuum there is to hold it in place. These can be had relatively cheap and have a bunch of tool holders. the last one I used had 8 positions. The biggest cutter we used was a 6" flycutter for smoothing the MDF when it got to rough from cutting cabinet parts.

The other style is point to point. this uses a series of vacuum pods that hold your piece in place. These work very well you just have to be much more careful if you are penetrating the board so you don't hit the rails or pods.

The flat table is quite a bit more versatile especially with what we would all be thinking of using it for. you can get lots of different configurations. 1 table 2 tables this gives you the ability to load one table while the other is running. The sizes have gotten pretty large to.

Another great feature of the flat table is sign making. throw a slab on the table, surface it, then cut whatever the customer wants. That is where the 8 head toolholder comes in very handy.

I was exposed to all these fancy tools when I used to work for a bunch of cabinet shops. The general construction was adjustable shelf holes with dowels and then clamped together. Just basic casework. but the flat table router really excelled being able to throw a 4x8 on the table cut all the parts to size and then drill all the adjustable shelf holes in one step. The guy we had running the cnc also did our plastic laminate layups. he could layup 2-3 sheets in the time it took to cut 1 sheet of cabinet parts. Worked out very well for use. the guys building never had to wait for parts.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »
About 2 years ago I sketched up a router sled I will be making to fit on my mill someday when I get the time and extra money. It will be a cnc setup controled by GRBL using steepers that will be a belt drive and use an Infinity planer bit in a big PC router. Just drop it on the mill, tension the x drive belt to the mill tracks, set 0,0 on the slab corner, choose the proper  lenght x width code and watch it run. Self contained and runs on 120 volts and will be between 300 to 400 pounds. It will also be useable to make large signs just like a 12 foot x 24 inch cnc router :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a Logrite cant hook.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
About 2 years ago I sketched up a router sled I will be making to fit on my mill someday when I get the time and extra money. It will be a cnc setup controled by GRBL using steepers that will be a belt drive and use an Infinity planer bit in a big PC router. Just drop it on the mill, tension the x drive belt to the mill tracks, set 0,0 on the slab corner, choose the proper  lenght x width code and watch it run. Self contained and runs on 120 volts and will be between 300 to 400 pounds. It will also be useable to make large signs just like a 12 foot x 24 inch cnc router :)

I am really interested in following the progress on that. I have thought about something very similar. Now that I have a 50" mill bed that would make life quite a bit easier.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
I can't say much on CNC in that price point.  Much more $ than I could budget and haven't investigated.  (My current CNC router is a homebuilt 2'x4' model for about $1k.  I use clamps and T slots instead of vacuum hold down.  My dream setup is either 4x8' or 5x10' from CNC Router Parts would be about $6-8k all told.)

For commercial models though, I hear good things about Thermwood and Laguna.  Thermwood also has a program where people can use their FREE design software and send the file to participating Thermwood owners to cut on contract.  Like hitting the print button, but for cabinets.   ;)

Shopbot Tools is middle of the road for price, has a great reputation, and is US built.  If the weight capacity of their table matches what you have planned, it could be a great option.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline redbeard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • whidbeysawmill.comwww.whidbeysawmill.com
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 02:34:56 AM »
http://yasengineering.com/
Here is a Australia product slab master looks to be well built.
Custom Commercial Sawmill - Whidbey Island, WA | Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling   06 B-20 Timberking 30hp gas.  Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill    86 F-700 boom truck    JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Surfacing 6 x 6 x 20'

Started by JRC on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 08:08:26 PM
by laffs
xx
What do you charge for surfacing lumber?

Started by WoodenHead on Drying and Processing

4 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 12:56:07 AM
by scsmith42
moved
MOVED: Wanted: Crotch Slabs & Wide Slabs with natural edge

Started by Tom on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2006, 01:02:35 PM
by Tom
xx
Anybody selling any green slabs or mainly dry? (flitches - not slab-slabs)

Started by btulloh on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post May 11, 2016, 11:00:49 PM
by WIwoodworker