The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Fur Seal? What Fur Seal?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
Fur Seal? What Fur Seal?
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:44:15 AM »
Was a stinking hot evening tonight, wondering what to have to dinner. I've been sorting and stacking some wood, and Lil's been catching up on computer work for the next term at Kindy. So Lil says "Lets got to the beach". Kids are away for a few days, so why not. Pick up some Hell Pizza and head around to Back Beach in New Plymouth.

So we take care of the Pizza, Lil suggests the extra Jalapenos might have been a bit excessive, but we decide to walk it off.

About an hour to wander down the beach and back, and I say to Lil, "hey, there is a seal laying on the beach". I'd walked past it along the shoreline, and turned to head to the track back up to the carpark, and there it was.

Crazy thing, when I went back and looked at a picture from an hour before, what's in the lower right corner? A sleeping seal that we had wandered right past.  :o :D We had walked maybe 10ft from it.

Now this one was only small, and sleeping, but if you have never been up close with a fur seal, imagine a Rottweiler with flippers and fish breath!!! They are fine as long as you keep a safe distance, but accidentally disturb one, and they can put you in hospital. (happened to an old guy last year on the coastal walkway, accidentally disturbed a sleeping seal and it gave him a nasty bite)

But this one just yawned, stretched and went back to sleep.

And Bonus pic from the carpark when we got back.

It was around 8pm. still 26c and some keen folks are still swimming down below.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
Re: Fur Seal? What Fur Seal?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »
That is just beautiful. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:47:43 AM »
Good thing that you did not mess with it and seal your fate. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »
Good thing that you did not mess with it and seal your fate. 

Very good fur sure!

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
Nice experience!
Thanks for sharing
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
   Neat pictures. Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts on fur seals go back to around July/August 2010. My wife and I did a private tour of southern Africa. We left Botswana and were touring the Skeleton Coast of Namibia. Went up to Cape Cross where there was a big colony of seals. Left there for Swakomund (Where Angelina Jolie went to have her baby and was very popular with local populace) and had a problem with a mechanical seal in our Bakkee (S. Africa term for our small 4 door pick up) and we had to overnight waiting for parts and repairs. The Nissan dealer loaned us a new SUV as our guide told them he was thinking about buying one. That evening about sunset we drove down to the coast and watched the flamingos and a salt works then to the beach itself. Koos, our S. Africa guide/driver drove right off the hard packed dirt road on to the soft sand to test the traction and 4WD and we immediately go well and thoroughly stuck and spun down to the axles. It was cold and windy and there was no traffic likely till daylight so while Koos jacked up the vehicle and packed sand under the wheels I looked for anything to put under the wheels for traction. I was hoping for driftwood or brush or such but the only thing I could find was 4 dead and widely scattered seal carcasses. They were just sun dried skins full of bones. I dragged them back to the SUV and I put one under each tire as Koos lowered each corner to the ground. Becky drove while we pushed and the seal skins/carcasses gave us just enough traction to make it back on to the hard road and out of there.

Becky took a picture of me dragging the skins to the car and the next year we went back and she gave Koos a coffee table book of pictures from our adventures. Our timing had us at Koos house for Christmas dinner and we gave him the book there and it was a big hit but when they asked about the picture of me with the seal carcasses Koos had to explain about us getting stuck. Evidently he had not told his wife and kids and they all jumped on him in Africaans about always going places he should not and getting the client stuck. It was great fun and we all had a blast. Evidently Koos had been guilty of such in the past but we sure had a great trip with wonderful memories.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
Don't know about dat Seal, but Lil's suggestion to go to the beach was spot on.  Beautiful.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:30 PM »
I need to make a trip to Kiwi Seal land.  fly_smiley
Where's the Spoon?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
To seal or not to seal? That is the question.

Started by kevin19343 on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 05:52:57 PM
by BCsaw
xx
TJ 230 hub seal

Started by Mooseknuckle on Forestry and Logging

23 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 06:22:06 PM
by John Woodworth
xx
Seal Malfuntion