iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Timber Frame Home

Started by flyingparks, December 03, 2017, 08:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I have run into that here Brad. We'll get KD15% delivered for those kind of materials but the house can bottom out at ~8%emc in winter. If at all possible I like to go through at least some of the heating season on sticks before applying.

flyingparks

Need to build some stairs. Any thoughts / opinions on this? I created this in sketchup. It complies with codes. Treads are 2". Risers are 1/2". Two stringers. 3 feet apart. I guess my main question is if 2" treads are enough to span 36" Material is Doug fir.

And since we like photos, here are a few of the radiant floor heating. 

fishfighter

Looks real nice. Sure glade we don't need that here in the south. Hit a high of 89F today.

flyingparks

Quote from: fishfighter on February 22, 2018, 09:52:40 PM
Looks real nice. Sure glade we don't need that here in the south. Hit a high of 89F today.
Thanks. 12 degrees today and sunny.

jason.weir

Quote from: flyingparks on February 22, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
 I guess my main question is if 2" treads are enough to span 36" Material is Doug fir.
I'd be surprised if code doesn't require a middle stringer, even if it doesn't I'd certainly add it - maybe it's overkill but it's cheap easy overkill.

flyingparks

Floor heat in. Rough inspections done. I poured lightweight concrete upstairs and downstairs. This creates a thermal mass which increases efficiency for in floor hydronic heat. It' s a fairly complex system by my standards, but I think will be worth it. It's a 1400 square foot home and there are 12 zones in the heating system. If you don't make enough zones, radiant floor heating can get ugly quick. Some DIY friends of mine have a bathroom that is too hot to walk in when the heat is turned up during cold days. Anyway, I really like the look and simplicity of raw materials and I love the way the concrete looks with the timbers.

flyingparks

A friend's place. Helped him with some raising.  Beautiful day and a beautiful frame. Grove crane sure helps. I think the crane could lift the entire frame.

flyingparks

Finally moving again. Sheet rock and paint. Also, put some more tung oil on while I had scaffolding up

flyingparks

After the house is done, I'll get a better camera.

NorcalMatt

Great job!  You will be enjoying all this work for decades to come

flyingparks

Here's a little update. I cut down a nice straight fir tree and milled it up for stair parts. It was amazing how fast everything dried.

I planed everything last week and cut to rough size. They turned out really beautiful. Now I can show my grandpa why I didn't just go to the lumber yard (he asked why  :D).  

I hooked up the boiler just in time for summer. It's been really cold in the house and the season changed the day I installed this boiler. It's an all in one unit. It supplies the hydronic floor heat and the domestic hot water. It even has connections for solar thermal which is further, a lot further down the line.

I had a random foot of snow and some little moose stopped by. The snow was completely gone the following day.

I put in the wood stove but won't get to fire it until fall. Or maybe I'll sneak one in

The stucco crew has done their first coat. The color will ultimately be a light gray.  

I had two windows break. It was determined there was a mistake at the factory and these windows were charged with argon gas...something you can't do at 8600 feet. Luckily the window company is taking care of everything.

A few electrical and plumbing odds and ends and I can think about moving in. The dog is ready for summer.

samandothers

Thanks for the update!  Really looks good.

TimFromNB

flyingparks

Been busy with timber frame barn but the house is done...as far as the county is concerned. I'll post some interior photos when I get around to it. A friend took a nice photo of the frame with a professional camera.

Brad_bb

You're probably already past this point, but 2" DF spanning 3 ft for stair.  No.  Will flex, be creaky, not enough support.  YOu need a stringer in the middle or you need heavy timber stringers on each side and 3-4" thick treads with at least 3/4 or 1"  risers.  1/2 is too thin for riser especially in softwood.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

FP,
How are your stairs doing (3' span of 2x)?

Brad,
I've designed my stairs the same way - 3' span of 2x11 (full dimension) with 1x8 risers - and the county was fine with it.  All pine.  My cabin is going to be a bit more rustic than FP's so a little stair creak would add to that ;)

I'm not even near putting them up so I could make changes.  The underside of the stairs are not visible from inside the house so I could add more later to stiffen them up - like a 2x4 cleat (on edge) across the length, glued and screwed.  But if FP says he wished for thicker, I could do it now.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

runmca

Happy Birthday flyingparks!

flyingparks

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 01, 2018, 11:24:18 AM
FP,
How are your stairs doing (3' span of 2x)?

Brad,
I've designed my stairs the same way - 3' span of 2x11 (full dimension) with 1x8 risers - and the county was fine with it.  All pine.  My cabin is going to be a bit more rustic than FP's so a little stair creak would add to that ;)

I'm not even near putting them up so I could make changes.  The underside of the stairs are not visible from inside the house so I could add more later to stiffen them up - like a 2x4 cleat (on edge) across the length, glued and screwed.  But if FP says he wished for thicker, I could do it now.
My stairs have been fine. My structural engineer friend said they would be fine. Although he shared Brad's opinion that it wouldn't hurt to throw something in the middle. I would have thrown a middle stringer in, but I ran out of lumber. So long answer is that I don't have any regrets. I even picked up the dog and jumped around with him on the steps. I should also state that one stringer is glued and screwed to a SIP wall and I know that adds significant support. Risers I will do again... Brad said 1/2 would be to thin. I agree.
Quote from: runmca on August 01, 2018, 12:04:41 PM
Happy Birthday flyingparks!

Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!