2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JuniperBoss

Beautiful to see such a pleasant work environment! Great post 'tree farmer' and good luck with your project. By the way I love that truck! Looks like a great home made log truck perfect for what you do.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

snowstorm

move the load back on your truck. you have way to much weight on the front axle.

nedly05

Looks like a nice piece of land. Post some more pics of your rigging when you get a chance!

keen

Looks like a nice cut, and some good timber. Hows the oak market there? Good work

treefarmer87

snowstorm, if I move it back dot might give me some trouble. keen, the oak market is ok, but it could be better. I was getting $400/1000 for the butt logs and second cuts. it is now $360/1000 :-\  poplar veneer was $300/1000, now $275/1000
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Stephen Alford

Hey TF, nice to see you doing well, you have come a long way. That skidder upgrade has made quite a difference. Those are tough trucks with the exception of the cab corners and under the doors.  Drilling a drain hole and spray a mix of winter chain oil and diesel in there helps. The more stakes,straps , reflective tape and flashing lights the better the odds for a new saw on the floor instead of paper in the ash try.  Hope that doesn't sound snarky, but the lads that tell you the ice is thin are the ones that want you to get to shore.  :)  Minus 31 with the wind chills this morning with a big storm this weekend. Just  looking at some pics from last fall , thought I would share this one.

logon

lumberjack48

On the first picture when you get one laying at a 60 degree angle, I'd measure two logs and saw it off. I did this so it would swing easy with out knocking trees down.
I'd hook the second choker from the end on the butt, then run the number one choker to the top, when hooking it put a roll on it so it'll kick the butt cuts over.
If i had trees 25 to 30' on the right or left hand side of my skid trail, I'd fall them right across my skid trail and saw it in two, the to pieces swing out with out knocking small trees down.  There were times i'd buck the logs up in the woods to keep from scaring or knocking trees down. I would also do this if the landing was muddy or the trees got full of dirt while skidding. Skidding 6 to 8 logs at a time adds up quick, this all depends on size. I cut a White Pine, the first log was 1200 feet, it was all the C5-D wanted to pull.

You need a air tag under the truck. It would pay for its self in a few trips with the extra amount of wood you could haul.

TF87 i like the looks of your job, nice clean work, your doing an excellent job  from what i can see.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

Quote from: treefarmer87 on February 07, 2013, 07:38:50 AM
snowstorm, if I move it back dot might give me some trouble. keen, the oak market is ok, but it could be better. I was getting $400/1000 for the butt logs and second cuts. it is now $360/1000 :-\  poplar veneer was $300/1000, now $275/1000
unless the dot is a lot more lax then they are here. you will get a ticket for over axle on front. it cant handle well. looks like nylon tires? 9.00-20?? you can be under gross weight and still be over axle. 10.00-20 or 11-22.5 front tires are allowed 12000lbs with a 12k front axle

lumberjack48

The bunks aren't spaced right, to get the load where it belongs. The back one is to far back, and the front one is to far forward.

The thing I'm worried about TF87 is you having a blow out on the front. At 55 i don't think it would be to pretty.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JuniperBoss

I think you guys are giving him a bit too much crud. He's doing a fine job and his truck is fine. Quit looking at all the imperfections. He's doing great.

Tree Farmer did you make that truck yourself? It looks totally home made.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Jeff

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 07, 2013, 06:30:24 PM
I think you guys are giving him a bit too much crud. He's doing a fine job and his truck is fine. Quit looking at all the imperfections. He's doing great.

That looks far sight better than a lot of things you used to see on the road up here. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

snowstorm

Tree Farmer did you make that truck yourself? It looks totally home made.
ok i am not picking on the guy just trying to keep him outa trouble. i have run trucks hauling wood gravel and over the road since 1978. so i know a little bit about them and what works and what dosent

lumberjack48

Quote from: Jeff on February 07, 2013, 06:55:46 PM

That looks far sight better than a lot of things you used to see on the road up here. :)
Jeff, i don't feel like i'm giving the boy any crud. When i see something that looks dangerous and i can save a life or lives i'm going to say something about it.
The only thing wrong with the truck is the load is about 3 or 4 feet to far forward. 

Bert

Looks like fine operation to me. Similar to what we do. A 2 man crew and few key pieces of equipment is a great way to run.
Saw you tomorrow!

JuniperBoss

I do see where all you boys are coming from. There are some things that could have been designed better, and maybe it would be safer to move the logs down or re-do the bunks. Still you gotta hand it to him for making such a nice rig. It inspired me and I might just make one just like it.

treefarmer87

if someone is going to give me advice espacially lumberjack and snowstorm, im going to listen, you fellas have been doin this longer than me, i want a tag axle bad :) i can get one for $800 now with everything. the pins arent where id like them. and the truck is a single frame, only downfall :( juniper, i put the middle pins on, thanks everyone :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

unless it has air breaks a tag will not work

treefarmer87

it does have air brakes, i love the truck, so far i have made 8 loads with it this week, plan on getting 10 this week, my BF avg for logs is about 1700-1800.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JuniperBoss

I'm even younger than tree farmer so I guess that's why I think I know everything :D. You senior loggers are smart, you gave some good advice ;). A lot of good info here and thanks for saying how many BF it holds, that helps me get a perspective for how much MBF is.

Great post tree farmer and happy logging to snowstorm and lumberjack and everyone else :).

snowstorm

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 07, 2013, 08:57:45 PM
I'm even younger than tree farmer so I guess that's why I think I know everything :D. You senior loggers are smart, you gave some good advice ;). A lot of good info here and thanks for saying how many BF it holds, that helps me get a perspective for how much MBF is.

Great post tree farmer and happy logging to snowstorm and lumberjack and everyone else :).
i knew you were just a kid.....i could tell

JuniperBoss

Yes, just a snot-nosed kid that likes to play in his woodlot 8). You were that age too.

loggah

Nice tall trees ,not much limbing going on there!! ;D What the other guys said your load needs repositioning, those little trucks will haul a bunch of wood. You will get better scale with small truck loads.The guys with the scale sticks don't adjust them as much as on a tri-axle or trailer. ;D ;D  Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

hillbillyhogs

Quote from: treefarmer87 on February 07, 2013, 08:43:08 PM
if someone is going to give me advice espacially lumberjack and snowstorm, im going to listen, you fellas have been doin this longer than me, i want a tag axle bad :) i can get one for $800 now with everything.

You're first sentence says a whole lot about you, NEVER be afraid to listen to advice, doesn't mean you always have to follow through but, at least LISTEN

ClarkF66

Beautiful pictures! The C6 looks like it wants to pull someting heavy, right now. I really enjoy seeing the pictures from your hardwood logging. Nearly all we do is spruce and pine, not nearly as nice logs as oak. 

Thank You Sponsors!