iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Jack show at the Big E

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 24, 2019, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

This past Saturday, 9/21/19, we traveled to the western side of my state to go to the Big E. (eastern states exhibition). A very large state fair type of event for all the New England states.

One of the events we saw was the lumber jack show.

Here is the stage as we saw it before the show:

I wasn't sure exactly what they were going to do but we saw one guy doing some chain saw carving on the side of the stage:

He was carving some little bear cubs to use as score keepers and to sell to the crowd.

The did some standard stuff like cutting off a cookie off the end of the log with a one man cross cut saw.
And there were two "lumber jacks" racing against each other. Our man came from camp #9. He's on the right side of the stage.

Then they did the spring board chop:

After that they did a race up the two 45' tall poles on either side of the stage:

Camp #13 won that one.

Next came the log rolling in the short pool up front. Winner had to knock the other guy off three times.

Here is a shot of my daughter with our lumber jack from camp #9

And as we were driving home the next day, we all said what was our favorite part of the trip to the fair. My wife said she enjoyed seeing the "lumber jack show."

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Old Greenhorn

Looks like a good time Jim. The Big E is 2 hours east of me. I go there occasionally for machine tool shows in the spring. I had not heard of this one and assume it is a general fair type thing and the 'lumberjack' show was just a piece of it? Or was it a wood products/forestry show? That I would have made the drive for. ;D
 The Catskill Forestry Assoc doe a summer even with all sorts of products that come out of the Catskills. There is lots of forestry stuff, consultants, loggers, wood products, milling demos and a small GOL competition. It's a lot of fun, but I missed it this year. I have thought of entering the GOL thing, but I am an old man and I don't want to make the kids look bad. ;D I understand the fella that won here this summer went on the the regionals and did well. I'll meet him at a class I am taking next week.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 24, 2019, 11:23:58 AM
 I had not heard of this one and assume it is a general fair type thing and the 'lumberjack' show was just a piece of it? Or was it a wood products/forestry show?
The "lumber jack" show was just a part of the "state fair" type event. Not a wood products/forestry show.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!