iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk Hunt 2012

Started by Magicman, June 01, 2012, 08:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This was my 17th year to apply for a special limited Elk hunt area in Colorado, and I FINALLY drew.  I do not have the license in hand yet, but looking at my ID# on the Colorado website shows that I was successful.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

This looks GOOD to me.   :)

Draw Species    Draw Results    You will be mailed    Pref Pts              Year

ELK    SUCCESSFUL    LIMITED LICENSE FOR 1ST CHOICE    17         2012
ELK    UNSUCCESSFUL    REFUND CHECK                           16            2011
ELK    UNSUCCESSFUL    REFUND CHECK                           15             2010 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom L

congrats, how long have you been applying, is it 17 years for 17 bonus points?

wwsjr

Is that an either sex tag? Which area did you draw for? Some of the guys I have hunted with got either sex for Area 26.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Yup, 17 years.  One point for each unsuccessful year.  Mine is a Bull Elk tag in area 61, which in in the Uncompahgre National Forest West of Montrose.  8)

fishpharmer

Sometimes it pays to be unsuccessful ;) :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Cypressstump

Unit 61 is a good choice,,,, hopefully between now and then it does not catch fire like what is going on in my most favorite elk area ever, the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico,,,,,,big fire.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Axe Handle Hound

Nice draw MM, I'm jealous.  That's beautiful country over that way.  Make sure you post pictures of your monster bull this fall.  Is that an archery or rifle tag? 

Magicman

It is the second rifle season.  I still did not and would not ever have enough preference points to draw muzzle loader or first rifle.

Autocar

Better pack your long johns and a snow shovel  ;D
Bill

Magicman

We go every year second season, just not in this specific area.  Hopefully we will get some weather.

doctorb

Magic, I am absolutely sure you'll have some weather! :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

:D  Yup, we will.   :D

I am busy studying maps.  A friend in Grand Junction, Co. sent me a couple that came in the mail today.  Since this is absolutely a "once in a lifetime" opportunity, it's also an "all of my eggs in one basket" situation.  There can be no coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Clark

Congrats Magicman!  Myself and two friends are applying for the same unit but for the muzzleloader season.  Only when we were about five years into the project (that is, last year) did I fully realize how long of a process this was going to be!

It's a truly great area to work or hunt.  I worked out of Montrose for the FS one summer and spent most of the time on the Uncompahgre Plateau.  For Colorado it's about as flat as can be and that unit has some enormous bulls.  I was seeing what I thought were huge bulls at the beginning of July!

Have gun and I expect to see some pictures this coming fall.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Magicman

I thought ML, and then 1st Rifle, but the preference point creep was faster than my birthdays.  I finally had to face up to reality and apply for what I had a chance to draw.

sandhills

Good job!  In my mind anyway, just have fun, forget about the coulda woulda shoulda stuff  :).  I've never hunted elk out there and don't have a clue how hard it is to draw a tag just know that some of the best hunts (deer) I ever had never amounted to anything but a lot of fun and no deer!

thecfarm

Finally.  ;D   Last year you and your son,I think,went? I enjoyed following that thread. Good luck. When do you go?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thurlow

My pastor just spent a week in and around Montrose (one of his cousins lives there);  first time he'd ever been 'out West' and he is just ecstatic about the whole experience.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

The license is finally in my hands.  Well actually, it is now locked in the safe.

PatD laid it on the kitchen counter so that I would see it as soon as I walked into the kitchen.

I'll be spending an hour each day on the elliptical, plus squats, lounges, etc.  I've gotta get these bones limbered up.  That plus going from 300' to 9600' is a shock to the system.

WDH

You could just come over and saw on my manual mill.  That will limber you up, fast  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

That is exciting.
How are ya gonna work on the elevation exercise....climb the tallest tree several times a day?  :D

Lets see, 62 times up a 150' tree will make the 9300', right?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Gaiche

MM, just stay out of the pear tree for the exercise. Besides it not tall enough to climb. Them ole bones will work just fine. bg

jdtuttle

Good luck on your hunt Magicman. Do you get a mule deer tag too? I just received my elk tag for a bow hunt in the Idaho Panhandle. Joined the gym to work on strengthening my legs & cardio. I lived in Montana for 8 years & still remember how rugged those rockies are. Nothing like the sound of an elk bugling at daybreak 8)
jim
Have a great day

petefrom bearswamp

Congrats on drawing and good luck MM.
The times I have hunted at altitude when in my mid 60's to early 70's I acclimated by about the 3rd day.
Did do some moderate conditioning before the hunts.
Perhaps my work as a forester helped.
Drew Muzzle gun in 2004 in the Routt NF south of North Park 9,000 to 10,000 ft.
Luckily got both Elk and Muley then.
Had to wait only 3 years to draw Muzzle loader tag in 2009, but had no success.
Son Mark and i are off to Jackson Hole WY to hunt cow elk and antelope in late Sept.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!