iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

one ton sufficient?

Started by redcedar, April 29, 2010, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logloper

Against my better judgement, I will join in again.
                                                                          As previously stated,I have hauled many loads just like the one in the picture posted above.Not dangerous or stupid, just trying to make a liveing for my family. For big equipment, I do use a lowboy. For loads I can haul (and I mean safely) I do it myself. Sure, I know all these regs are put in place to protect us. Any one of us on here know what we can do safely without someone else telling us, or we should. Is it legal? A whole different story than the original question. I bet very few of us do Everything legal every day. The truckers around my area leave an obvious infraction in order to appease the DOT guys. They say that they(DOT) will find something wrong no matter what, so leave something in plain view. Then get back to makeing money. I guess finally, I don"t advocate others to be illegal in any way, but just because you are illegal doesn"t make you unsafe.

captain_crunch

In Oregon pick up plates are for 6000 gvw Now my Quad cab Ford 4X4 weighs 8100 empty so caught with trailer I am already in D_S with out trailer. But I also can pay thru nose with Farm plates(tripple price per year) and redgester it for 26,000 which should come with a pre written ticket for Manslaughter. Much of anything over 20,000 NEEDS a TRUCK under it not a 1 Toone which only will haul 800 lbs more than a 3/4 ton(look at door sticker) GVW and as far as towing weight dead heat there  30,000 max
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bobus2003

Quote from: captain_crunch on May 11, 2010, 01:12:37 AM
In Oregon pick up plates are for 6000 gvw Now my Quad cab Ford 4X4 weighs 8100 empty so caught with trailer I am already in D_S with out trailer. But I also can pay thru nose with Farm plates(tripple price per year) and redgester it for 26,000 which should come with a pre written ticket for Manslaughter. Much of anything over 20,000 NEEDS a TRUCK under it not a 1 Toone which only will haul 800 lbs more than a 3/4 ton(look at door sticker) GVW and as far as towing weight dead heat there  30,000 max

Depends how the trucks are optioned.. My '99 F250 Ex-Cab Long-Box 4x4 6spd Powerstroke has a 9900 Door Sticker, When I bought my '06 F350 Crewcab, Long Box, 4x4, 6spd, Powerstroke, Single Rear wheel  I optioned it to have the 11,200 GVWR, Dually was around 12500ish

stonebroke

Where di you get tires that will take that load with single rear wheels?

Stonebroke

T Red

Quote from: Gary_C on May 09, 2010, 10:46:08 PM

But all of this does not mean that you could not get a ticket for this load if you met up with a sour DOT officer who went by the GVWR on the pickup that the pickup manufacturers lower for liability reasons. Most DOT guys will just check tire ratings and compare those to actual load.

This is a question we ask our dot.  They stated they would go by the manufacturers rated GCVWR or towing rating of the truck.  It varies a lot by truck.  If you follow this most pickups are overloaded very easily.  My last ford was rated by ford to tow only 15000, by the time you add the weight of the trailer (goose-neck 7000) you can only haul a 8000.  My skid steer weights 9200 without a bucket. >:(
Tim

Bobus2003

Quote from: stonebroke on May 11, 2010, 07:21:37 AM
Where di you get tires that will take that load with single rear wheels?

Stonebroke

Cant say they were rated for that.. I was running Stock wheels and Tires on my F350 (Steel Budd Wheels, BFG 265/70/17's) when i got my aftermarket wheels i made sure they were of the same load rating.. I run G rated tires on my trailers

Ironwood

I LOVE "G" rated tires for my 16" needs. Even my single axle trailers I use them on. Full steel casings and NO SWAY.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Gary_C

Just for a rough guide, the E rated tires (235/85-R16) are rated just under 3000 lbs per tire. So a rear axle with singles would be able to carry about 6000 lbs and a dually about 12,000 lbs. though they downrate them to about 2800 each when used as duals.
Those G rated tires that Ironwood is referencing are nice if you need higher ratings as they are rated at 3750 each. But they are not cheap and only come in a trailer tread so far.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ironwood

Also becoming more common are 17.5 trailer tires rated fairly high, I believe 5000 or 6000 lbs each. I want to put some new axles and 17.5 tires on one of my former flat bed frames, pierced deck 25'er. It would be nice NOT to have 8 tires back there.

Also, the 16" G series tires ARE available in steers OR drive tires. We have local State trucks that run "loaded" and use them (I know because that is how I get my retreads carcasses) I never pass them up when I see them.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bobus2003

Quote from: Gary_C on May 11, 2010, 03:43:20 PM
Just for a rough guide, the E rated tires (235/85-R16) are rated just under 3000 lbs per tire. So a rear axle with singles would be able to carry about 6000 lbs and a dually about 12,000 lbs. though they downrate them to about 2800 each when used as duals.
Those G rated tires that Ironwood is referencing are nice if you need higher ratings as they are rated at 3750 each. But they are not cheap and only come in a trailer tread so far.

I purchased my trailer tires through these guys and run the ATD tread pattern..
https://www.treadwright.com

I also run there tires on my pickups and jeep also

T Red

Quote from: Ironwood on May 11, 2010, 05:04:31 PM

Also, the 16" G series tires ARE available in steers OR drive tires. We have local State trucks that run "loaded" and use them (I know because that is how I get my retreads carcasses) I never pass them up when I see them.

Ironwood

I have tried to find 16" G tires for trucks and had no luck,  All I can find are for trailer.  What brand are you buying?

Thanks,
Tim
Tim

Ironwood

I talked to my commercial tire guy before posting that response,  and did not ask him brand, but I will.

Ironwood

ljmathias

Mostly on-topic post: my son had a 3/4 ton Chevy single rear wheel pickup he used for his plumbing business.  Occasional he rents a mini-excavator to do rough ins.  Loaded it up one rainy morning, put his two boys in their car seats (one in back and one in front- should have been in back too in hingsight) and started off.  Came to the railroad crossing which is at the bottom of a not-so-steep hill, and with the wet pavement, small tire footprint and all, couldn't slow down- was slipping and sliding all over.  Decided to just run the crossing guards- mostly all we get are freight trains slow as molassas.  Not this time- at the last minute he's able to see down the tracks: Amtrack doing 70.  He manages to get enough gription to start a skid toward the side of the road, skids into the rocky 12" embankment just as the engine goes past- thinks he dodged this bullet when every car after slams in and through his passenger side fender, shearing it mostly off.  His 3 year old is staring out the window 8" from the cars zooming past: another 6-8" skid and he'd have been a goner.  Lesson learned: use a big enough truck to be able to control, brake and slow.  All this discussion has been great, but my son's experience shows one thing: no matter how experienced or careful (he was only going 30 mph, witness verified), you WILL get into a situation that exceeds what you have if it's not the right vehicle and trailer.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

woodmills1

as stated earlier

I towed my little ox(7 ton) with a chevy one ton 11,900 gvw

it did it, but I live at the top of one of the biggest hills in town.  Each trip loaded was a total concentration event, i could see possible loss of hauling or braking almost every trip.  It never happened, but I could not continue at the level.

the 4500 has much bigger tires, more weight, and massive calipers

and it is legal
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mahonda

Sorry I've been gone logging on the coast. I talked to the DMV here and asked what i needed to be legal to haul behind my pickup. She said As long as i have a ten dollar tag in the window with the accurate weight that I tell them it weighs I am completely legal and don't need a cdl even if I'm over 26 thousand. So based on what she told me I would be legal if i had the paper in the window, which is there since you can't see the front window. I have passed lots of cops and none have looked more than three times, but not pulled me over yet.
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

woodmills1

It's not the regular police,  it's not the regular state police, it's what we call here the registry/weights and measures/DMV police.  I have had regular town police cars pull me over just to ask what kind of liscence I need to drive my set up.

getting home is one thing.................. :P getting home and making money with out having a problem ona regular basis is another thing
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

T Red

This is straight off the Chevy website.  For a 3500    http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-3500hd/features-specs/

Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)          18500 lbs

Maximum Trailering Capacity                         13000 lbs

So you can only tow 13000 lbs legally.  Trailer and load. 

Tim

stonebroke

Duallys have the same gcwr as the single wheels, go figure.

Stonebroke

Bobus2003

Quote from: mahonda on May 20, 2010, 04:47:26 PM
Sorry I've been gone logging on the coast. I talked to the DMV here and asked what i needed to be legal to haul behind my pickup. She said As long as i have a ten dollar tag in the window with the accurate weight that I tell them it weighs I am completely legal and don't need a cdl even if I'm over 26 thousand. So based on what she told me I would be legal if i had the paper in the window, which is there since you can't see the front window. I have passed lots of cops and none have looked more than three times, but not pulled me over yet.

Those are just temp Commercial tags.. I get them for my truck so i'm lisenced for 17ton.. But you still have to play by the same GVWR and CDL rules.. cant exceed what the truck/trailer combination is rated for and if you do and get caught by the Carrier Enforcment or a Highway Patrol.. your gonna get just as big or bigger ticket.. cause they know you know the rules (Or enough of them to know you should be smart enough to learn the rest of them).. So going down and getting a Paper tag saying i can haul 20ton, and putting it in the window of my F350 with a 20,000 trailer behind it doesn't mean i can haul the 20ton.. Its exceeding the GCVWR of the truck and trailer so your pushing the limits of legality.. Plus a truck trailer combo that has a GCVWR of over 26K lbs needs a CDL (By law, i know many guys that don't have a CDL and get away with it), but if they ever get caught it'll be a fine, why take the risk? Spend the 50 Bucks and get the CDL and be legal

Thank You Sponsors!