iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood identification

Started by scleigh, March 27, 2016, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Well, hickory doesn't grow around here in my area. So there is no way for me to see.

Cedarman

Some hickory nuts are bitter like pignut.  I like the big shagbark hickory nuts.  Also love pecans.  The nut meat is really good to eat.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

fishfighter

Quote from: Cedarman on March 30, 2016, 08:15:45 AM
Some hickory nuts are bitter like pignut.  I like the big shagbark hickory nuts.  Also love pecans.  The nut meat is really good to eat.

Last year pecan crop was very bad here. I normally get around 15K pounds a year. Only got 3200 lbs last year. :(

Lumber Grader

I was a hardwood lumber inspector for years and still occasionally grade hardwood lumber.  I worked for the NHLA as a "National Man" for almost 2 years.  I have graded millions of board feet of hickory, both Southern and Appalachian. I can tell you that once the lumber is sawn and edged, it is next to impossible to tell a hickory board from a pecan board. NHLA rules state: "A National Hardwood Lumber Association will not make any distinction in species between Hickory or Pecan."
This lumber looks to be either Hickory or Pecan and if you can tell which one for certain, then you deserve a medal.  It is much easier to tell the logs apart by the bark, especially fresh cut logs. That is my 2 cents worth.

WDH

Thanks for the insight, Lumber Grader. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

Thanks for all the help and discussion, I will just call it Pickory :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!