iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What settings to kill PPB?

Started by Brad_bb, April 23, 2017, 12:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brad_bb

Yes, PPB in Iowa.  I would imagine that they are everywhere. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

MbfVA

We have entertained a bunch of "bugs" in the basement supporting members of our National Register listed log cabin over the years, with plenty of pin sized holes to prove it. Every exterminator has told us that they will not bring the building down, that they are merely a nuisance, aesthetically.   The only truly effective removal strategy is to tent the building & use a gas not much different from the Nazi death camp variety, three days with security posted.

I wonder if heating up the basement to 150° for 24 hours would do it?   That's a lot less risk than a dangerous gas, and a lot cheaper.

31+ Years here, and we're still standing.  FYI the building was built in stages from the late 1920s to the late 30s.  The construction ranges from pure log, to slab sides, to conventional framing.   Because of leaks in the HVAC ductwork the basement stays dry and conditioned.  Mostly dirt floor.
www.ordinary.com (really)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Each crop of insects, if they are still active, makes tunnels in the wood.  These tunnels have a combined effect of weakening the wood, little by little.  If the structure is built six times stronger than needed, you can indeed lose a lot of strength.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kbeitz

Quote from: MbfVA on July 12, 2017, 08:19:15 PM
We have entertained a bunch of "bugs" in the basement supporting members of our National Register listed log cabin over the years, with plenty of pin sized holes to prove it. Every exterminator has told us that they will not bring the building down, that they are merely a nuisance, aesthetically.   The only truly effective removal strategy is to tent the building & use a gas not much different from the Nazi death camp variety, three days with security posted.

I wonder if heating up the basement to 150° for 24 hours would do it?   That's a lot less risk than a dangerous gas, and a lot cheaper.

31+ Years here, and we're still standing.  FYI the building was built in stages from the late 1920s to the late 30s.  The construction ranges from pure log, to slab sides, to conventional framing.   Because of leaks in the HVAC ductwork the basement stays dry and conditioned.  Mostly dirt floor.

They will bring a building down. I have proof of that...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

Why not spray the place with insecticide like Timbor or similar? It will not kill the insects in the wood, but will kill the ones who emerge, or the ones who come up to lay eggs, and will interrupt the life cycle of future infestations.

I would probably also treat the earthen floor, as well as spray with a long lasting professional grade contact pesticide.

The folks who are telling you the critters won't bring the place down are the ones who don't own it.  I have seen old barns and other structures brought down by bugs.  That's what they do. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lookin4GoodLife

So if you heat sterilize the boards when you kiln dry them, what stops bugs from getting in them later, say if you build a barn with these boards?

Edit:  Ah, just googled Timbor.  I'm guessing after the structure is built, you would treat it with Timbor to prevent future infestations.  :)

WDH

Yes.  If you saw the lumber, spray it right off the saw before you sticker it.  Then, you can air dry or kiln dry it.  They will not get in the wood.  However, if you plane it, you might have to re-treat because the borate does not penetrate too deeply in the wood and you can plane much of it off.  Bora-care is meant to penetrate more deeply, but it is quite expensive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I would not say all, but almost all lyctid powder post beetles come from wood that is infected and stored adjacent to uninflected wood.  So, with good concern and appropriate action, about where the dry, sterilized wood is stored, there is no risk and so no need to treat the wood when it is very wet with the mentioned borate.  Once dry, applying borate treatments are not too attractive as they rewet wood and that means only an outside barrier is treated and the rewetting can make checking quite a bit worse.  Also, note that the lyctid PPB F. 

Note that borate treated wood will leach out a lot of borates if exposure to liquid water.

Thank You Sponsors!