iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My sawmill conundrum - Norwood HD36 vs. Woodlander HM130

Started by Everest123, March 12, 2019, 08:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I do not know the new price of such a mill, but may be a bargain.  go have a look, if the price is right, and not too much to fix, it may be a place to start.  I hear nothing but good things about Woodmizer.  can always sell or trade on a bigger more automated mill in the future.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

Quote from: Everest123 on March 14, 2019, 11:09:33 AM
I just found a used WoodMizer LT10 on Craiglist on facebook for $2,500 with a track extension.  Only a few miles from me.  Maybe I should just go for an already depreciated mill to test the waters and see how I like it / time I can spend.  Any thoughts on just a simple entry level WM?  Looks like a soild mill. . . . :)
Sounds like a pretty good plan.
HM126

Darrel

I bought my LT40 used and have no regrets. It was old at the time and need some adjustment, but I just followed the step by step instructions in the owner's manual and was very easy to do. If the LT10 you're looking at doesn't come with an owner's manual, Wood-Mizer will set you up with one, most likely a digital download. 

I'd jump on that used mill while it's available. 

Good luck. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

marcnaz

FWIW I had the same concerns on the Frontier and did some research on them and the ejection chute was redesigned and I was told not an issue on them now. Also I think that these guys were in a manual mill shootout trying to cut as much as they could, as fast as they safely could. The video was the original OS 27. They have since added a smaller and a larger model to their lineup. I can't offer opinions on the quality, but I ordered one and it's en route shipping now.  Since these are fairly new saws, there isn't a whole lot of end user feedback out there yet but I'm sure that will change over time. I simply didn't want to deal with a used mill (there are none anywhere near me anyway) or spend too much on a mill that will primarily be used as a hobby venture. A warranty is also a little more piece of mind also. Keeping my fingers crossed on it's quality and performance, but so far the folks at Norwood have been great on the phone and via emails answering my endless questions... time will tell I suppose, so we'll see!
USAF Retired

Dana Stanley

24" is limiting, but you would likely get all your money back on resale!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Warren

Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2019, 09:18:43 AM
If there is a possibility that you will sell or upgrade the sawmill, then I would be looking at resale value.  A Wood-Mizer LT10 is $3,995, an LT15START is $5,295, and an EZ Boardwalk Jr is $4,700.  All within your price range.  There are also other possibilities so check out the Sponsor list on the left.  Do plenty of research and do not make a hasty decision.
Some very sound advice right here ^^^^^.  I started with an LT15 as a hobby.  Later sold it and purchased an LT40 when I got more serious about sawing.  An LT15 will saw everything that an LT40 will saw.  Just not as fast.  

When one is first learning to saw, the "not as fast" can be a good thing.  Gives you more time to think thru your next move.  More time to size up the next cut.  More time to avoid boo-boo's...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Delta66

Quote from: marcnaz on March 14, 2019, 02:50:29 PM
FWIW I had the same concerns on the Frontier and did some research on them and the ejection chute was redesigned and I was told not an issue on them now. Also I think that these guys were in a manual mill shootout trying to cut as much as they could, as fast as they safely could. The video was the original OS 27. They have since added a smaller and a larger model to their lineup. I can't offer opinions on the quality, but I ordered one and it's en route shipping now.  Since these are fairly new saws, there isn't a whole lot of end user feedback out there yet but I'm sure that will change over time. I simply didn't want to deal with a used mill (there are none anywhere near me anyway) or spend too much on a mill that will primarily be used as a hobby venture. A warranty is also a little more piece of mind also. Keeping my fingers crossed on it's quality and performance, but so far the folks at Norwood have been great on the phone and via emails answering my endless questions... time will tell I suppose, so we'll see!
I bought an OS27 with an extension, trailer, and trailer extension.  The manual is needs work (wrong part numbers, "?" in places where part numbers should be, etc.) and I am constantly calling Norwood with questions.  They are helpful, but there is only one employee that seems to know anything about the Frontier line.  Everything is built really well, but they obviously rushed it to market without taking the time to provide a sufficient manual.  The trailer is even worse.  There are parts missing from the drawings that are integral to assembling the trailer.  I was also shorted the complete trailer extension in shipping.  Really regretting not buying from Woodland at the moment but once I actually get this thing assembled and run it, I may change my mind.  I expected that a company like Norwood adequately trained their employees on each of their products.  That does not appear to be the case.  

Darrel

How many times have we seen reputable companies make the decision to make some or even all of their product line in Asia?  How many times have we seen results like the ones described above? It's pretty sad really. 
1992 LT40HD

marcnaz

Quote from: Delta66 on March 21, 2019, 05:49:51 PM
I bought an OS27 with an extension, trailer, and trailer extension.  The manual is awful (wrong part numbers, "?" in places where part numbers should be, etc.) and I am constantly calling Norwood with questions.  They are helpful, but there is only one employee that seems to know anything about the Frontier line.  Everything is built really well, but they obviously rushed it to market without taking the time to provide a sufficient manual.  The trailer is even worse.  There are parts missing from the drawings that are integral to assembling the trailer.  I was also shorted the complete trailer extension in shipping.  Really regretting not buying from Woodland at the moment but once I actually get this thing assembled and run it, I may change my mind.  I expected that a company like Norwood adequately trained their employees on each of their products.  That does not appear to be the case.  
Well my OS31 is scheduled for delivery today. I didn't get the trailer or any extensions. Please let us know how things go once you get it assembled and cut some logs. I was told before mine shipped that the manual/instructions were upgraded/fixed. Getting shorted parts would be pretty frustrating. I would expect a new line to have it's minor issues when first rolled out, but not major ones or unhelpful support staff. Especially from a company who has been making mills for years and has somewhat of a rep for quality.  Once I get it I'll take a couple photos as I attempt to assemble it and post my thoughts and results on a new post/thread. Although I'm mechanically savy, this is my first mill so maybe my input will help other new folks looking for a first mill with their decision.
USAF Retired

mmprestine

Please post as much info as you can.  I am looking to order something by May and have the frontier on my list.  Just so little info on it.

Delta66

A Norwood rep called me yesterday and told me that the parts I'm missing won't be available for at least a month to 6 weeks. I'm going to set the saw up in it's 11' version and do some cutting. 

I am working on getting some videos to Youtube, but don't have much free time to devote to video editing in the coming weeks. I have one up already that's just a general unboxing with a few of my thoughts.  I am not a video professional so there are a few mistakes in it.  Feel free to ask me any questions as you go through the process.  

mmprestine

Care to share a link to this video?

I would think they could at least give you a few blades for the headaches.

Jeff

=
Delta66 we are here to ask for help not to hear bellyaches.  I don't see any requests for help so, tread lightly.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Everest123

Well, that LT10 was gone in a flash.  The  guy had 3 offers for it and I called him 18 hours after he posted it.  So in terms of resale, that's a BIG plus for Woodmizer.  WOW.  

Per all of the advice I've stepped back from "rushing into" a purchase.  I'm strongly leaning towards the Norwood HD36 when I do pull the trigger though.  In the meantime I'm building my new storage shed / lumber yard where the mill will ultimately go.  It's a 48' x 14' pole barn of my own design.  Only have front 5 and back 2 corner poles in, but those are the hardest.  This will take me at least two months to complete :)

I'll post back here when I do pull the trigger.  Again, likely going to go with the Norwood HD36.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Everest123

Well, given that the Norwood sale ends in a week or so, I threw caution to the wind, and in an fit of impulse I ordered an HD36 with a 4' bed extension and the trailer package.  I added a carriage cover and a 10 pack of blades.  So with that decision made - what elese should I be ordering?  :)

btulloh

A cordless impact driver if you don't already have one.
HM126

thecfarm

A Logrite pevey or cantdog. Sponsor on the left,nice people,made in the USA!!!
Congrats on the mill. You will like it!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hacknchop

Congrats on the purchase of your mill you will enjoy making boards out of trees .
Often wrong never indoubt

Everest123

Quote from: btulloh on March 29, 2019, 07:01:03 PM
A cordless impact driver if you don't already have one.

I do not have a cordless impact drill, but I do have a corded one.  Is this for assembling the mill?  What's the main use case?

btulloh

Lot of bolts to tighten. Anything to make that go faster and easier is a good thing.

Plus, if you don't have a 1/4 impact drver it's a good excuse to get one.
HM126

Everest123

Gotcha.  Thanks, I did order a bunch of 9/16th bits and socket / extensions.  I'm trying to get all the tools I'll need in advance of the delivery to make assembly as easy and effective as possible.  I will add this to the tool list.

doc henderson

I use and am overall happy with dewalt batt. stuff, you can get a drill/inpact combo with a case @big box stores on sale occ.  I have a ton of the 18 volt stuff, got my wife some of the newer 20 volt stuff to keep in the house.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Everest123

Quote from: doc henderson on March 31, 2019, 03:36:09 PM
I use and am overall happy with dewalt batt. stuff, you can get a drill/inpact combo with a case @big box stores on sale occ.  I have a ton of the 18 volt stuff, got my wife some of the newer 20 volt stuff to keep in the house.
I have two of of their drills, an older 18v and a newer 20v - both are going strong after many years of semi-regular use.  I recently added a cordless circular saw to the mix and I'm pleased with it so far.  I'm 100% sold on Dewalt.  I ordered up the 1/4 " impact drill, very compact.  Looks like a great tool.  I bet I'll put all three of my drills to good use across my "work crew" when we assemble the mill :)

doc henderson

the impact is what I use to drive screws and tighten nuts and bolts. it starts to hammer/slow down when it meets resistance so you do not strip screw heads or torque your wrists when tensioning.

Thank You Sponsors!