iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing grinding wheel and replacing cam The easy way

Started by Jeff, March 17, 2006, 11:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

GET CHET TA DO IT! ;D

Chet and Judy stopped by for the evening on their way to da youngest Son's house to help him and his wife move into their new home.  We had them trying out the Carriage House Inn for the evening, so Tammy and Jude went over there to relax in front of the Fireplace and Chet and I stayed here for a bit. Chet CAN NOT be here with out tinkering with something. Lucky for him I got the flapper valve in the toilet working fine, so I showed him the way to the Wood-Mizer sharpener where it waited with its box of new goodies.  I was going to wait for pictures from when it gets back from chrome and powder coat, but these will have to do.   :D  (Chet loves to take things apart and put em back tagedder)

There is a short video clip here as well. You can hear on it that I am going to have to order some more parts pretty quick and tear it apart again.  sounds like motor bushings. :-\

Anyhow, after drinking a couple beers and getting our hands dirty, we went on over to the carriage house (I FEGOT THE CAMERA :-\)  with the girls and inspected the upcoming contest prize. ;D (Keep yer eyes open for that later today!!)

VIDEO CLIP WITH SOUND OF BAD BUSHINGS
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I wanted to point out since the camera froze the grinding wheel in place while Chet was dressing it, that we did follow the instructions for the directional mounting on the wheel. :D

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

:D

The plan is that he is going to pick it up on his way back through and take it home to play with. He was real impressed with DanG's diagnosis of the problem and figured it was going to be a simple fix as:

"It ran right up until it quit"  :D

He didnt have room for it because he had a packed blazer. He built Chris one of his wonderful oak beds and had that in there plus every other nook and cranny filled.   I will come back and post a link to some of Chet's furniture. He is a master. From tree to heirloom is what I say.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6415.0

jpgreen

Great! I'd like him to swing over and set up mine..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Good thing we got poor Chet to keep this dodgy outfit running even after all the abuse and fussin about. :D :D :D :D  (tongue in cheek)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Has anyone out there ever had to replace bushings in thier grinding motor? Wood-Mizer only has brushes as parts, so I would like to source some parts before I tear it apart again. Its working, but it dont sound like it'll work good for verylong if you listen to that video clip.

BBTom

Jeff,

I got a new motor when mine got too bad, $120 worth.  I am going to tear the old one down and replace the bearings in it to keep as a spare.   I am guessing it has ball bearings. but dont know for sure,  I bet BDI will have what we need.  If you want to wait a couple weeks till I get back from my trip out west, then I will tear mine down and take the bearings in to BDI and let you know what bearings they come up with for replacement.  A good motor shop should be able to look up what bearings/bushings it uses,  it is a Leeson motor. 

I have found this little mod to work real nice.  I was not happy about the coolant missing the wheel most of the time and not really cooling the blade.  I cut a little bit of aluminum, and made an angle out of it,  drilled and tapped a small hole in front of the blade holder to attach the aluminum on so that the water shoots back and climbs up the blade for a total flood cooling.

Also, If you want to use the sharpener in freezing weather,  This mod helps out.  I have a small bucket inside the cooler with heat tape wrapped around it, and the pump inside.  the heat tape keeps everything from freezing, and I can sharpen in cold weather.  You do have to knock off some Icicles when it gets down to about 10 degrees. but it keeps running. 

Tom
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

chet

The older black motor uses 2 small sealed bearings. NTN #Z809
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

gmmills

Jeff,

The  sharpener motor bearings are NTN 608ZZ / 7.938. These bearings are not standard 608's. A standard 608 has a bore size of 8mm. A standard 608 will fit loose on the shaft, fall right on. The 608ZZ/ 7.938  has a bore size of 7.938 and will fit tightly on the shaft, press fit. They are special order at my local bearing dist. I usually order 4 at a time to keep a couple in inventory.

It looks like you have the old style motor . If you order a brush set from WM make sure you tell them you need a brush set for an earlier style motor. They are different than the current style motor brushes
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

mometal77

Dang jeff would love too introduce you all too hardware sales here.  Even in the neighboring town we have grizzley corporate here.  Lots of tools.  Those parts you need are easy to get.  Further note that powder coating is pretty neat stuff.  Expensive but well worth it in the end.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

gmmills

I purchased mine from Applied Industrial Technologies. They have a local branch store in town. I think you would be able to find them at any commercial based bearing distributor.
Sawing since 1995

chet

My sources are showing a price of $10 each. Is that about what you got them for?

Tom

chet

My catalogs show the standard bearing costing about 3 bucks, but dat same bearing with the under size bore is a little over 10 bucks.  :-\

gmmills

$20 for a pair of bearings vs $120 for a new motor.  The bearings still seem to be an economical choice in my book.
Sawing since 1995

isawlogs

Is that motor the same one as the up down on the mill  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dana

I have the same woodmizer sharpener/setter like the one Elly had listed for sale. I have never used mine, because it looks difficult to set up. Norwood offers one that uses a Dremmel for the motor. I have been thinking of buying one. Anyone have some advise on which way to go?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Tom

Yes. I have an opinion. :D

Set the woodmizer sharpener up and learn to use it.  It isn't that difficult.  Sharpening is a finesse' thing regardless of what you use.  You already have one of the best little sharpeners available.

jpgreen

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

SwampDonkey

That would be just like letting the bull loose to ask for the 'real opinion' :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mometal77

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!