iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Length and width of band saw bed

Started by Grappletractor, March 20, 2006, 06:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grappletractor

I am getting much closer to ordering my steel for a homebrew mill and am looking for suggestions on length and width of mill bed . Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Grappletractor

My local steel supply yards only carry 3 x 6 x 1/4" up to 24' long but I measured a friends TimberHarvester to find it being 26' long . What do you think of a 24' version ?

thecfarm

Mine is 41 inches wide by 24½feet long.I bought it to cut a 20 foot log.I bought it from a machine shop and wanted the option to cut a 20 footer.Never have yet.Little did I know that it's a lot easier to cut a 16 footer on a 20 foot track.I have 2 feet on each end,no need to make sure it's in the middle of the mill.I have no hyd to help me.Have you got a motor yet?Get a big one if you can.It does help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grappletractor

Yes I have a Vanguard v twin 31 hp that I got off ebay.I need to put new rods ,rings and pto bearings in but the engine has less than 200 hours on it . The last owner forgot to tightin the oil filter . :'(

thecfarm

That wiil power the mill and than some.Good for you.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

The first time you have to offbear 20'-- 2" X 8"s, you will quickly forget about 24'ers.  ::) ;D :D

You can always fabricate some extensions  ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Minnesota_boy

I don't recall ever having to offload a 20' 2x8, but I had to do a whack of 20' 2x12s.  I did have a helper for them.  Kid in his mid teens.  I think his butt was dragging before sundown.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

I'm reminded of a story from the dark ages of the forum.

Working with Tom

Dan_Shade

if I did that to my brother, he'd have first taken my peaches, then my spoon, then the truck and left me to myself the rest of the day!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

getoverit

I had a guy last week ask me if I could cut 8x8x16 beams... when I told him I could, but I would need plenty of help getting it off of the mill, he changed his mind... I guess he didnt think of how much a beam that big would weigh :D

right now I'm cutting 1x6x16 pine, and that sure does get heavy when you are the only one cutting and tailing... I couldnt imagine tailing 2x6's or 2x8's by myself.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Brad_S.

Quote from: Grappletractor on March 20, 2006, 06:07:50 PM
I measured a friends TimberHarvester to find it being 26' long . What do you think of a 24' version ?

Although the TH bed is 26', it will only cut a 20'6" log, the rest of that length is taken up by the carriage head. If your carriage has a shorter foot print than the TH, 24' would be fine.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

highpockets

Grappletractor,

1. Just be sure to stay with the 3 x 6 x 1/4 square tubing. You'll pat yourself on the back later.

2. Give a lot of thought to where you place the log turner and clamps. 

3. To me the feed design is the most important part in cutting good lumber. 

That is my two cents worth.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Grappletractor

Saw my Timber Harvester owner friend today. Told him about my 24 foot  beam dilemma and he said that if I add an extension to the frame that I should do it on the control end of the mill seeing as the carriage doesn't cut anything at that end location . So I think I'll just order another 4 foot section then cut it in half and weld em to that end of the mill. I am also going to make the mill 6 inches wider than his , at his suggestion .

Grappletractor

Quote from: highpockets on March 21, 2006, 05:37:35 AM
Grappletractor,

1. Just be sure to stay with the 3 x 6 x 1/4 square tubing. You'll pat yourself on the back later.

2. Give a lot of thought to where you place the log turner and clamps. 

3. To me the feed design is the most important part in cutting good lumber. 

That is my two cents worth.   

I will be using the 3x6.

I will be using his TH as my pattern so I'll just put the turner and clamps where they have them .

Thank You Sponsors!