iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 132 Forwarder

Started by lostyooper6, July 13, 2011, 12:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostyooper6

Started out looking for an Iron Mule, ran one when I was kid and they were built within miles of where I grew up in the U.P.  , well found a Franklin 132 out of pure luck in the outskirts of Detroit, got a hell of price on it.  I've been doing some small scale logging, mostly clearing hedgerows for farmers in the area for firewood and sawlogs.

I am really having a tough time finding information on the machine.  Can anyone help me out, looking for specs and repair manuals, has winch on the front that will spool and freewheel but no torque.  Looking for original pics and options that were available.   

Freedom6178

Welcome to the FF.

You came to the right place, some one will have those answers.
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!  My  brothers and I ran a 132 pack-a-back in the early mid 1980's in Northern WI, it was a brute, had a hawk loader, no winch though.  It was equipped with a A-C 100HP turbo diesel.  We bought it new from the dealer then in Marinette, WI.  Never had to work on it much, other than standard servicing, it was pretty break-down free!  Prior to that, we had a 4501  'mule, that we got from the local Gafner dealer (ISON equip), I am sure they are no longer in the bizz.  Can't help you too much on manuals except to scour the internet, check out manuals.us   That is where I got an engine manual for my current machine of choice  They have alot of different manuals on that site.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lostyooper6

It's been a great machine in the short time I've had it, I built a large rock retaining wall with it and have skid quite a bit with it.  Also use it to plow snow when it starts to really pile up.  I'd like to recondition it and would really like to find more information and pics of similar models.  The only complaint I have is it is to tall due to the roof mount loader, on most lowboys it is over height by several inches.  Then crawling out of the woods with a load on of corse makes her taller yet and folks around here get sensitive about damaging tree branches that weren't being taken out.  Thanks for the tip i'll check the site out. 

lostyooper6

Cool web site, lot manuals, but...nothing on Franklin

mad murdock

You will probably have to settle for a separate engine manual, a winch manual, a loader manual, etc. from the individual manufacturers of the various components, if you can't find the "franklin" manual, at least it will get you some good info on what you have.  What engine do you have in it?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lostyooper6

It has a 3-53 Detroit that is a common enough engine, but the winch is Franklin (34,000 lb, I think), it has the Franklin logo cast right into it.  My understanding is Franklin manufactured their own axles and winches, the gear boxes on the other hand I'm not real sure about.  The winch is my primary concern right now, it spools in both directions but with no torque.  I bought the machine as a repo so I have no background on it, when I got it the control lever for the winch was removed, I assume it has been a problem.   

Thank You Sponsors!