iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So tell me about Maine..

Started by wkheathjr, November 29, 2008, 09:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkheathjr

Am thinking of buying a land up there..  wooded land with access to lake. 

1) To my understanding, can not build anything within 250' from the shore of lake.  Does that include the pier?  And can not have any opening to the lake (clearing trees).  Correct?

2) What's the rule on cutting down trees on the land?  Do you have to be licensed to do this? Or can it be done by myself for purpose of using timber to build cabin?  Some state just have law on this and not sure about Maine?

3) Can you clear some land by yourself using heavy equipment to remove stumps and all? Or is there a restriction on certain size of acrage you can do this without permit?  Here in NC, you do not need Erosion Control Plan nor permit if clearing land under 1 acre.

4) What is weather like in north Maine?  When does it start snowing? How long does it last? How bad can it get?  I used to live in Rochester NY and I can remember the winter being brutally but I have no experience living in the country during the whole winter.  I might have to be ready to leave for south if it get bad for me the first year  :D.

5) Tell me about snowmobile activities I was hearing about!

And anything I should know, feel free to throw it in!  I am still undecided on buying and I am on the fence of making it a vacation getaway or living year round.  I do have a beach property here in NC but it is family owned and I am growing weary of the sandy and salt water.  It dry up my skins and all, and the heat is slowly becoming unbearable for me I spend most of my summer indoor that I get sick of it.  I thought what better than to find a place that stay cool during the summertime so I can be more active like being outdoor and having fun than staying indoor in the AC.

Mooseherder

We have some land and cabin there and sure do miss it a lot.   It also has some of the best 4 wheeling in the country.  Very friendly area for outdoorsman.  You can drive your Wheeler/sled into towns via many access roads. 

#1. Not sure about the distance to water but I think the rules have changed to allow you to get closer.  Everyone pulls out their piers (they call them wharfs) as they have wheels and a hitch like a trailer because the Ice would work them over good when the Lake freezes.

#2. You can cut down your own trees and build your own cabin. I think the septic system may be your only requirement for permitting.  ??? ::) :P

#3. You can clear your own land.  If you are in an incorporated area you may need the Townships permit.  (they like their tax base)
If you are not, LURC (Land Use Regulatory Commission) likes to poke their nose into your business.

#4. The weather is usually cold, summer doesn't last long enough and sometimes the winter can get a little long.  If you like the outdoors and dress properly there is plenty to do.  Northern Maine set record snowfalls last year with over 200 inches.  The snowmobiling boasts over 1500 miles of trails and connects with Canada and other states as well.

thecfarm

If I was buying ANY water frontage in ANY state,I would make sure I could do what I wanted to do with it BEFORE I bought it.There's a whole bunch of different rules when it comes to water.
Mooseherder,you trying to scare the poor guy away with last years snow fall? I can remember in 2000 trying to set up stakes in March for the house we was going to build and I was running around gathering up enough snow so the stakes would not fall over.There been many easy winters in the last 20 years here.Last year was not too bad for cold though.Seen it not even get in the double digits for 2 weeks.Someone will help you out with the snow in Northern Maine.Kinda different in the Central part.I'm just about where the snow starts in the Mtn region.Make sure you check out electricity too.Some times it's worth it and others may make you really think about it.Cost us about $10 a foot to get it to our house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I'm not from Maine myself, but the weather in Maine parallels our Canadian Maritimes. I live in West Central NB and my land borders on Maine. In 2005-06 winter we had 2" all winter. Every time we got 4-6" of snow we got 2" inches of rain to remove it that winter. :D Last year we got a lot of snow and the norm for around here is 3-4 feet of snow pack. For a lot of years though you could not even snowmobile in my area. So far we only have 1" of snow on the ground and it was melting today, almost 40°F. December and January are the coldest months, February, March and April will not set any heat waves either. We average around 0°F for the coldest months, but it can dip to -40 F in river valleys up north for a few days at a time, but usually recovers to milder spells within a week. There are still people that travel in winter up here not thinking about a possible break down and being stranded when they drive in storms meant for any sane man or beast to stay home. People will dress for cool October weather because they have a car heater and forget to toss the winter coat, warm ski pants, mittens, hat and shovel in the trunk in case they have to shovel out of a drift or walk for help. A cold brisk NW or W wind is bone chilling, and an almost instant flesh freezer. If it's mixed with blowing snow it can literally cut your wind off. Lakes and rivers freeze 3 feet thick or more.

I enjoy winter myself, but if you have not lived it you might find the warm south more appealing long before May. It will separate the tough from the weak, right quick. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Winter .. thats the easy part to deal with , alls ya need is a stove and some wood .. Whats ya got to worry about is spring and summer .  ::) ...............  BUGS are here  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wkheathjr

Bugs? I doubt that's the problem for me because we get thousand of them down in the deep south! We got almost all the pest kind that seems to never go away so I doubt it is any worse up there?

The first year I went to college in Rochester NY and that was my first experience of first brutal winter I ever went through.  It was hard for me but by second year, I got hang of it and got used to it.   

I plan on doing more research before buying the land there.  Building permit, septic, electric/water connect, Phone(DSL?), any cable service(High-Speed?), etc. 

Thanks for the input and will see what happen next...

james

Mainer someone who has lived in Maine for 1 winter
Maniac some one who has lived there for 2 or more ;D ;D ;D
james

SwampDonkey

Quote from: wkheathjr on November 30, 2008, 12:29:48 AM
Bugs? I doubt that's the problem for me because we get thousand of them down in the deep south! We got almost all the pest kind that seems to never go away so I doubt it is any worse up there?

They can be, but not everywhere.

For instance in my area the bugs are bad enough. But to go up the Tobique, be prepared to be fleeced. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Most of the questions you ask ( setbacks, doing your own logging ) are regulated by the Town, not the state.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

rebocardo

Buy some land inland, off I-95, in central Maine on a big lake, on a hill. That is what I did.

0 degrees is not uncommon in the winter, it can start snowing in Sept.

Only 2% of the property has paved driveways.

Safest place to send your kid to school and every household has a shotgun probably :-D

They have snow mobile trails all over. Because of the laws, property owners are encouraged to let people pass over their land. You can drive practically anywhere by snow mobile.

moonhill

I don't have a shotgun.  Had a double barrel but sold it.  I have some other goodies here and there, though.   

I live in an unorganized township which is under LURC,  I have to send everything to Augusta. 

Don't get caught riding an ATV or snowmobile over Blueberry ground, that's a big no-no.  There is an extensive trail system.  If you go off the trail system, one needs permission.  If confronted by a land owner you are required by law to stop. 

There is a local organization called The Black Fly Breeders Association,  their slogan is "you feed 'em we breed 'em".  So, visitors are welcome.   There are only black flies, no other biting bugs, none, zilch,  and you can take that to the bank, for what it's worth.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

You can add midges, deer flies, moose flies, mosquitos....  :D

Tim L

I have heard it said Maine is 9 months of winter and 3 months of dang poor sleddding !
Do the best you can and don't look back

wkheathjr

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 01, 2008, 07:00:00 AM
You can add midges, deer flies, moose flies, mosquitos....  :D

Are you okay?  Did I caused you to get new obsession over the bugs?

And down in the south, the spring/summer season is awful long..  it starts in March and end in November.  Thats looooooooong bug season!  You got horsefly (almost like housefly but they bite bad than mosquito), mosquito and it swarm all over real real bad right after it rains, housefly that never goes away and like to bother you when you are sleeping, and so on.  It's just a torture sometime in a loooong season so I am not worried about bug. I am used to it and insect of all kind doesn't scare me off..  We got snake down here and do you have any?  We have got all 4 poisonous snakes in the USA (Rattlesnake, Copperhead, Corral, and water moccasin).  We even got bear.

So really, I am not worried about bug and I aint letting it stop me from moving somewhere new or buying a vacation getaway.  Sorry!

wannabeonetoo

I'll gladly take our FRIENDLY bugs and VERY FRIENDLY bears  ;) ;D
  You keep those NASTY SERPENTS down there , thank-you very much !!!!!!
   As for snow and cold ? I'll take it over the stiffling heat any day  :D
Seriously though, you'll love the the nord in all seasons  ;)
Steve

SwampDonkey

Quote from: wkheathjr on December 01, 2008, 08:31:34 AM
housefly
Got them to, all winter in the house. Bring good vacuum cleaner. :D

Quotethat never goes away and like to bother you when you are sleeping

We call them blow flies, they are metallic green on the body, some not.  ;D

We have snakes, just the bug, frog and rodent eating kind though.

I seen something floating in the brook the other day and realized it was a 5" long water boatman beetle probably chasing the leeches.  ;)

Don't mind the bears, they'll just crawl in the camp with ya 'til spring. I found 4 bear dens this summer.  ;D

pineywoods

What them Maine folks don't tell you is they got skeeters as big as horse flies, and they bite just as bad. They can suck out a 1/4 pint of blood before you can swat them. :o
I tried to stay in a campground in Bar Harbour, finally just gave up and left. Swarms of skeeters so thick, couldn't get out of the camper..Least a rattlesnake will warn you before he bites ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Maineloggerkid

ONe thing to keep in mind isthat Maine has for seasons: 

Almost winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction.

Last year we had 4 feet of snow on the ground from late Feb. thru March.  Up north they had about 10 feet on the ground.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Brad_S.

I live near your alma mater in Rochester. Recently took a job with a company that has me spend more time in northern/central Maine than I do at home. My co-workers all live within 50 miles of Rochester as well. They're comment to me was that "you haven't seen winter until you've experienced a Maine winter". Okaay!
Company outfitted me with Ice Armor long johns and Arctic Armor outer wear in anticipation of a fun winter in Maine!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Maineloggerkid

What area, is it that you work in???

stonebroke

I think Brad S is going to be working in one of the windier spots in Maine, maybe.

Stonebroke

Warbird

Quote from: Brad_S. on December 01, 2008, 08:12:24 PM
I live near your alma mater in Rochester. Recently took a job with a company that has me spend more time in northern/central Maine than I do at home. My co-workers all live within 50 miles of Rochester as well. They're comment to me was that "you haven't seen winter until you've experienced a Maine winter". Okaay!
Company outfitted me with Ice Armor long johns and Arctic Armor outer wear in anticipation of a fun winter in Maine!

Hmmmmm.  Perhaps I need to live in Maine for a while and compare winter there to winter here in Fairbanks.  You guys may have higher humidity there and that can make the cold hurt a lot more.

Brad_S.

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on December 02, 2008, 07:23:07 AM
What area, is it that you work in???
Houlton to Oakfield, Stinkin' Lincoln, Lee & Winn. Finishing up my end of things there and turbines will be going up there soon. This coming year looks like I'll be getting to know Rumsford/Black Mountain area and somewhere north of Ellsworth.

Warbird,
I only meant to compare a Maine winter to a Rochester winter as a Rochester winter was the standard being used. I think Alaska is in a different league!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

SwampDonkey

I'll take a Maine winter over Alaskan. ;D

A few private windmills down around Oakfield in the Amish community there. I don't know if they use them for anything serious though. Last time I was down there a year ago a  couple had been broken to bits.

Maineloggerkid

Lee and Winn are about 20 mintues from my house. Are you familiar with Kingman?

Thank You Sponsors!