iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fun

Started by Peter Drouin, November 28, 2014, 06:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

You guys in the south are missing it :D

Snow on the logs, so you have to stop and clean them so you can see what you're doing

Snow, and more snow

Snow on the forks so the lumber moves so you can pick it up over and over again. :D :D 8)

Just look at all the fun you're missing :D :D :D

Does this look like a Gunstock timber in the pic or just a beam? I might have to stand it up to see the taper.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

reswire

Pretty, pretty, and more pretty.  No snow here, just freezing rain and sleet/mud.  I would trade some mud for some snow though.  ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter....I have to agree with you on this thread.....yes...we in the South are missing it!
Thank goodness!  :)
Good pics though.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

We got about a foot of wet heavy stuff. Looks about like your yard. It's not frozen underneath, so it's settling, and muddy underneath. A lot of broken branches, and big trees down around here. I hope they all broke for this winter. :D I had one come out of the hedgerow a couple of nights ago as I was going out to fill the boiler. I jumped behind the OWB, but it didn't get me, or the boiler.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clww

I wish it was cold here so the ground and all the mud would freeze. You can keep the white stuff up there, though. :D
Great pictures you shared with us. smiley_thumbsup
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

The snow pictures don't bother me at all. I just look at the Wood-Mizer all cozy under that roof. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

Peter
18 inches in Springfield  NH
No fun plowing with the soft ground !
Jim/bruno of nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tree Dan

as long as you can get out of the wind, the cold and the snow is now problem.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

drobertson

You guys get your share of the white stuff for sure,, but really, getting out of the wind and cold is the ticket.
the best thing is, we only have 4 more months of it ;D  the wind is the worst in my opinion..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Banjo picker

I had it real bad here today.  I had to wear a coat over my vest.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

loggah

Snow on cold iron sucks !!! you cant control anything. I only plowed out where the snowbank from the plow was, then i just drove around a bunch packing the snow,that will allow the ground to freeze a bit and the packed snow will hold up the plow a bit. Peter you dont have a lot of room between your mill and the log pile,when you have a lot of snow you must have to move it quite a distance. I got a pile of Hemlock by my Belsaw but it aint getting cut untill after maple syrup season next spring. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

AnthonyW

Jim, Peter,

Fun? It's day 3 and I still have no power.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Bruno of NH

AnthonyW
No power gets old after 3 days !
Do you have a gen set ?
Jim
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

slider

No snow here Peter but we did get over 7 inches of rain in 3 days here in south georgia.
al glenn

Sixacresand

For you guys who have a lot of snow, it don't seem to slow you down much.  I think you all like it.  ;D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

YellowHammer

The one accessory I do not want for my sawmill is a "snow broom."   :D :D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

FarmingSawyer

I haven't tried milling any since the snow fell, but it sure makes skidding logs out of the woods easier! And it's nice that it's not deep enough to have to wear snow shoes in the forest yet........ Logging with snow shoes or cross-country skis drops production quite a bit......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Swatson

Man it looks cold.  We may be a little spoiled here in Arkansas.  Its going to be 67 degrees today (sorry but it is  ;D).  We don't usually get a whole lot of snow that is measured by the foot...only twice I remember and it was 2 ft...but we do get the nasty ice storms.  Had one in '09 that plastered 2-3 inches of ice on everything and I was without power for ten days.  After the sixth day we were so tired of board games that when it got dark around 5:30 we would just go to bed.  But Arkansas weather is fickle, wait a few hours and it will change.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Dave Shepard

You may not have a lot of snow, but in the summer you guys have heat. I can't take it. 67? That's borderline too hot. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 29, 2014, 10:40:51 AM
You may not have a lot of snow, but in the summer you guys have heat. I can't take it. 67? That's borderline too hot. :D

You would melt like butter on Grits in S.C. and Georgia during July and August.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Swatson

Yes sir, it is amazing what you get used to.  If we swapped places where we grew up we would be making the same argument...only in reverse.  But I will say in the deep summer when we have 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity I do cast a wistful eye north...but then winter comes. :D :D
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

StimW

I've worked outside ALL DAY after a blizzard when the high for the day was -15 F, overnight down to -30 F .
It didn't get above zero F for 3 weeks! Now ask me why I live in Florida?
I talked to a friend in Birmingham, Al. after a snow storm some years ago and ask her if they got any snow?
She told me "It's Butt Deep at the wood pile!" (firewood)
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Peter Drouin

When I put up the mill building I put it facing south. So in the winter with a low sun it shines in. I did give it some thought when I put it up. :D :D

And Logger I do push snow a ways.

It drops off out there. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawguy21

Snowed last night, about an inch, and now a bright sunny day. It is really quite beautiful but at around freezing the roads are quite slick and it appears some of the locals are learning to slow down the hard way.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

johnnyllama

Looks similar to what we have here. We were lucky though, west of us got over 8' last week, north of us got around 5', we only got around 10-12". We average around 12' a winter, hopefully this will be a below average winter, although it doesn't look promising so far. I'd rather work in a snow storm than a downpour though.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Thank You Sponsors!