iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas swing blade

Started by Joey Grimes, May 11, 2018, 09:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I primarily use the lucas mill for slabbing but I had some 30" red oaks that I wanted to try quatersawing.The problem I ran into is the top third of the log making 8" deep vertical cuts the mill didn't have the power to make 6" was all it could do .The middle third was no problem with the deep horizontal cuts cause I could make them in two passes .Is there a trick to making deep vertical cuts without having to readjusting the winches ?The mill is a 8/25 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

fishpharmer

Hardwoods in particular are a challenge for full depth cuts in my experience.  Make sure no carbide teeth are missing, keep teeth very sharp, use lots of water.  Takes a little longer but half depth cuts may be best.   Also Recall that pushing the blade into wood from one end or the other can make a difference.  Just need to try both ways, I cant remember which is best.  Been a long while since I used my Lucas.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Don P

You'll have to drag back on a cut like that or it'll jump up and run away. We're using a 6" and that is a max cut on that saw in white oak or similar. It is hard on blade and belts. I think you'll need to jump up and down or try to do a series at 4" and then drop and get back into kerfs... that may not work as you relieve stress though, safer would be to do them one at a time cranking up and down.

ButchC

Nope, no magic wands for that.  Full depth cuts in hardwood will demand that your blade be in top notch shape, the belts tight and the engine running at its best. If the logs have been skidded that can mean touching it up after you remove the topside slab. It seems to me that all things considered it is best to keep the blade in tip top shape with frequent touch ups no matter what a person is cutting.  Also there are narrow kerf blades now available also that should help the situation.

As a point of interest my 6" Peterson will preform a full depth vertical cut a lot quicker and easier than a full depth horizontal cut?? Still trying to figure out why that is.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

dgdrls

The mill should be able to make full depth vertical cuts 

Perhaps an alignment or blade issue?

Best
D

Runningalucas

Quote from: ButchC on May 14, 2018, 07:29:50 AM

As a point of interest my 6" Peterson will preform a full depth vertical cut a lot quicker and easier than a full depth horizontal cut?? Still trying to figure out why that is.
I think in my lucas manual it states the vertical is faster, or near there.  It's been a long time, but I know in the manual it states the blades are designed for vertical cutting, and any horizontal cuts should be something like no more than 4 inches at a time.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Don P

My sawdoc said that chips fall towards the tips and stay in the gullets in a vertical cut where in a horizontal the upper side especially is kind of a mess with them getting all over the plate. Then gravity pulling the plate and the board down in a horizontal cut and you're into a rubbing situation. But, look at the pic in the op, there's dust stuck in the kerf to the side of the cut, it is having to lift the chips up and out of cut, couldn't clear all the chips and so was packing them on the sides of the kerf.

ButchC

Thanks, Now I cant quit wondering if I have an alignment issue when cutting horizontal ;)
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Joey Grimes

Ian with lucas mills contacted me and is in the process of talking me through getting my mill in alignment we have to rule out a few things before I start turning wrenches.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

dgdrls

Good news Joey G.

Keep us posted

D

Nomad

Ian's a good guy, and knows those mills inside and out.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WIwoodworker

When I saw vertically and have a cut over 6" I make two passes. Just seems to work out better for me.
Peterson 9" WPF

timbour

I have an 8/25 Lucas also and it will make an 8" vertical cut in hardwoods without a problem...just have to go slow.  Judging from the amount and position of sawdust on the log I would definitely think you have a blade or alignment issue.  Good luck!

Joey Grimes

The 8/25 is now making full depth vertical cuts!! I had a combination of problems including belts were slipping the alignment was out of adjustment and the blade .Lucas is a great company to deal with I bought a second hand mill and Ian with Lucas walked me through getting it in tip top condition.

Thank You Sponsors!