iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New frame

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 04, 2003, 07:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Here are a few photo's of a cabin I am building down on the White River.  It is setting on cedar stumps and 6x6 power poles.   I cheated and made connections with home made sockets.  The people are pleased so far and I should get it dried in next week.  Goes slow when you are working alone.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

dewwood

Looking good!

Maybe you can come up and help me put up a garage-barn type building.   I would love to do a timber frame but not sure time constraints would allow, still thinking on it.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Wade

Arky,
 You're a jack of all trades! Where do you get the time to do
all this? I'm asuming you cut all the lumber for this also?
Are those brackets joining the rafters to the posts? Just re-read your post. ::) I guess they are.Cool. Looks great. Keep us posted with the progress. Thanks. Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

ARKANSAWYER

Dewey,
  If you are making a open space like a garage or barn it goes really fast.  I have only worked about 24 hours by my self to get up what you see.  It took most of the time to level and square since I could not pour a footing.  I had to level 12 concrete pads and the cut 12 stumps to the right heigth and fit and notch the 6x6's.
    Yes I sawed all of the lumber for this and what I am doing is trying to saw out 1,000 bdft of lumber (for other orders) before lunch and then go work on the cabin till dark.  It is about an hour drive from here.   I welded up the connectors and will get a close up picture of them.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

We need a bigger sawshed. I think it's about an 8 hour drive - one way... :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Well I am topped out.  I got up there to put up my evergreen limb as tradition dictates and dropped it before I got to the top.  I had to climb down and get it but it is up there now.  I should be dried in this week.   The folks are very pleased with the progress so far.   Makes my wife nervous to know that I walk around up there like that.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Greg

QuoteWell I am topped out.  I got up there to put up my evergreen limb as tradition dictates and dropped it before I got to the top.  I had to climb down and get it but it is up there now.  I should be dried in this week.   The folks are very pleased with the progress so far.   Makes my wife nervous to know that I walk around up there like that.
ARKANSAWYER

Its hard to tell from the pics, but the structure doesn't appear to have any diagonal bracing. This is stiffen the structure for wind shear.

I'm not an engineer but most if not all timberframes I've seen have some bracing between the posts and the cross beams.

Good luck!

Greg

Jeff

Thats can't be the Arkansawyer, that guy has a blue shirt on. That must be somebody with one of those blue saws.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haytrader

Jeff,

And no orange cap. Cannot be the famous "Arkansawyer" can it?
That guy on top of the frame must be part monkey the way he is standing there. King of the mountain.
 :)  :)  :)

I personally think he needs to add more helpers to the scenario as he has plenty of ideas and expertise to keep several busy. These connectors he makes are the way to go and add much strength to the building. Me thinks he is an injun ear too.

;D  ;D  ;D
Haytrader

ARKANSAWYER

Greg,
  If you will look below where I am standing on the bent you will see a temperary brace.  On the bent behind me you will see a yellow strap pulling the bent in and it has two 2x6 braces in place.   In the back wall you can see the infill studs in place and several of them are solid 2x6' the run the full spread so as to tie it all in.  I only like a few hours of having a Civil Engineering degree so I know a little bit about structures and forces.  What I have learn most has from been going and looking in old barns and buildings that have stood the test of time.  When Hurricane Hugo came through SC I was living there.  I went and spent alot of time looking at the houses the made it through and the one's which did not.  What I learned most was that stapled OSB does not hold up.
     Renee' wanted to go see what I had done and we were going to several places in town so I did not wear an ARKANSAWYER shirt or hat as I do most of the time.   Because when I do several people will stop me and start talking sawing and such.   She just wanted to go spend some time with out kids, Granny and my groupies.   ???  Got to through her a bone from time to time.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Here is a close up of Arky on top my spy lab had enhanced.

I bet he took that shirt off'n one of these guys.
Sawing since '94

Wudman

Arkansawyer,

Where were you living in SC during Hugo?  Hugo kept me busy for about 18 months down there......What a mess!

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Jeff

I knew it, I just knew it. tisk tisk tisk. DanG Arky, dont let Wanda see that shirt. Thats almost like breaking a commandment for you aint it? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Maybe that's why he's way up there! :o
Sawing since '94

Mark M

Arky you should have a cape - you look like some kind of superhero up there :D

dan-l-b

Lets see them brackets Arky 8) 8)

Tom

Mark M

8) It's a Bird, it's a plane, it's Arkansawyer!  8)

Haytrader

If he ever gets down off of the roof and takes time to look at his puter, he is gonna be pithed at you guys for dressin him up like that and pokin fun at him.

:D  :D  :D

Do you think you should add a hat and a mask?

;)  TEE HEE   :D
Haytrader

ARKANSAWYER

I am beging to think Bibbyman is in cahoots with Baker.  After all they are from the same neck of the woods. ::)
  And a pink cape! DanG it Tom You have no more respect for a man then that.  DonT you guys keep any thing Holy. :(
Ya'll have gone from picking on Wanda's butt to putting me in a pink cape.  Thats OK I will see Bibbyman next week at the show in Mt Vernon.
  Wudman,
  I was living in Socastee and rode the storm out.  I worked in Pawleys Island and the island was split in half from the storm surge.  I left there in "90" and have not been back.  I think often that I should go see how much it has changed.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Wudman

Things have healed up pretty well down there.  I make a trip back to Santee every now and then.  Some of the stories from the storm are pretty interesting.  I salvaged some timber for an old fellow near Manning.  He was about 90 years old when the storm hit and was  living in a little cabin with his wife.  She was very worried about the storm and stayed up during the night.  He went on to bed.  During the night, the front door blew open.  He got up and closed it and went back to bed.  It blew open once more and he closed it again.  The third time it happened, he got some 16d nails and nailed it shut.....and went back to bed.  Their house sat in a grove of large pines.  It looked like a bunch of toothpicks around there after the storm, but none fell on the house.  I guess they were living right.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

dail_h

Is that pink cape what helps ARKY be able to fly over fences? :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ARKANSAWYER

After the storm I went to search for people who were missing and to look at buildings.  I saw a house that the windows were all blown out and  pretty much gutted.  But on the kitchen table was half a cup of coffee where it had been left before the storm.  I was talking to a guy about it out front and we were looking at the house.  When we noticed the address on the front.  The house was from 3 blocks closer to the beach.
  Here is a picture of a connector.  I bolt them with 3/8 x 3 inch lag bolts.  I cut them from 1/4 x 6" square tubing at 30 degrees with a cutting torch and weld them back together.
   The ones for the top have angle iron welded on so that the top perlin can be bolted on.  Some times I put on angle iron for the side walls to be hooked on and perlins on the edge.
  You really have to watch out for your cape when leaping barbwire fences. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

johnjbc

Anyone know how big a span you could have using  6x6 brackets. ??? ??? A calculator that allowed you to plug in different sizes and spacing would be nice. :P :P
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Bibbyman

I'd suspect the process is a little more complicated than just cross-referencing spacing and span.  Such things as wind and snow load and what type of wood the beams are sawn from, etc. come into it.

Here is a link to SocketSystems that is similar to Arky's building.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!