iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chip n saw

Started by kelLOGg, April 17, 2014, 10:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Can anyone give me a link to see this in operation? A Google search showed a few Utubes but they wern't very revealing of the chippng and sawing operation.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

I think there are a variety of "chip n saw", but the idea is to chip an outer profile and then remove dimension or boards with a band or circular blade.

Sometimes logs are presorted by size to go through the process set up for all the same pattern.

Summary here about where it all started.
http://www.forestnet.com/archives/Feb_05/sawmilling1.htm

Here is a youtube that shows some of the patterns possible using chippers to remove the wane edge to produce a profiled cant. At about 3 min there will be patterns illustrated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iki0sgOowYw
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

While it's hard to see exactly what is going on because of all the guards and machinery in the way, this clip shows it pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRL0Xyyw8Y

Small logs get fed in one end.
Instead of sawing slab wood off and dealing with that, they chip it on the spot, and it goes off via conveyor or suction.
This leaves a small cant that then gets re-sawn to make whatever, usually 2 x 4s. 2 or 3 of them in this case.

Idea is to process low value logs in the least possible time. Poke them in one end of the machine, chips come out one chute, boards come out the other end. A continuous operation. You can see the production they are getting by this sort of system. The logs are going through the machine about the same speed as a normal sawmill makes one cut. But it's one pass and the log is done.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kelLOGg

Thanks,
I sorta thought safety features may impede the view but the diagram helped. (If I understood Japanese it would have helped more ;D. )
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on April 17, 2014, 11:07:49 PM
Here is a youtube that shows some of the patterns possible using chippers to remove the wane edge to produce a profiled cant. At about 3 min there will be patterns illustrated. 
ここでは の一部を示す、パターン裁断機を使用してプロファイリング カントを生成するために衰退エッジを削除することが可能です。約 3 分で示すパターンになります。

That is what I thought.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jwilly3879

I read recently that some of the chip and saw operations are processing wood up to 13" diameter at almost 700 lineal feet per minute.

Thank You Sponsors!