iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 15 engine id help needed

Started by h2ofwlr, February 23, 2019, 08:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2ofwlr

I am trying to understand what the engine id plate  means on my 172 ford industrial.  It is  the gas version.  Search of the web has lead to many dead ends.   The plate  reads: (top line) 3748-A30 KC      second line   B8PD-6002-BE   then in an individual box labeled  "options" reads SO-1201.  Any direct knowledge or leads  are greatly appreciated.   Love this site!!!  Mark  

krusty

I have the 172 gas in my TJ200.....there is a casting number under the dipstick but I have no others visible. Rebuild planned this summer.

What questions/issues do you have with it?

Gary Davis

it probably identifies its size 172 ci , gas or desiel and how it is tuned for hp  the 172 gas came out with different hp ratings with the one in the treefarmer gas was 68 hp diesel 59 hp some of the other industrial 172 were rated with less hp     

h2ofwlr

thanks guys   since i posted this am i ventured out to the shop and ran a compression test. 2 holes were around a hundred  one 115 and number 3  was low and had oil on the plug.   with those results  the decision to rebuild made sense. End result is the power train is in pieces on my shop  floor.   I am sure   i will need lots of help as i go through this process. thanks  mark

starmac

Just curious, are those sleeved engines?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

h2ofwlr

Starmac  I believe the tractor versions are sleeved but the industrials used  in heavy use  were not.  I have not opened mine up yer but i dont expect it to be  sleeved.  mark

logman81

I have the same engine in my c4b not a bad engine not the most powerful but it's cheap to run.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Highhood

A few years ago, I tried to find the same info for the numbers on my tag but came up with nothing. On the other side of the block near the oil filter I think, there is a ford date code casting number that I did find an intrerpretation online. My casting is 6E12- 6 is 1966, E is May (January A) and 12 is the day. These engines were put in several ford tractors models 2000, 4000, 971. I ordered a valve grind head gasket set for mine and did a lot of research but it seemed one gasket set covered them all. Standard bore is 3.90" but when I removed my head, it had .020 stamped on all piston tops so somebody rebuilt at sometime. Compression was 130 on all cylinders after new head gasket and stuck valves fixed. Jim

h2ofwlr

Thanks  for the info on the  block number!  mine is   conn 6015 J    The o is throwing me? so is the j october?     conn?

Highhood

From my research that is the engine block part number, not the date code. My block also has the CONN6015J casting number. It seems I found some of this decoding info on the tractor forum Yesterdays Tractors. 

millwright

When you are doing the rebuild take a good look at the timing gear, they were known to fail

h2ofwlr

thanks guys both of your comments are  very helpful! i will take another look at the block and try to figure out the  manufacture date. also will change the gear

old-iron-habit

Quote from: starmac on February 23, 2019, 09:53:29 PM
Just curious, are those sleeved engines?
Many are not. I had one that a wrist pin had warn a groove. Our local machine shop bored it and pressed in a sleeve. Worked great as we ran it for years after that before we sold it.

Thank You Sponsors!