iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Teacher Workshop

Started by Ron Scott, April 04, 2011, 05:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Teacher Workshop. Being offered by the Michigan Forest Foundation

Our workshop for teachers to introduce them to the principles of forestry and sustainable forest management will be held August 8 – 12 at Higgins Lake. Registrations are coming in. This workshop is being conducted by Trees for Tomorrow, Inc. of Eagle River, Wisconsin. They have a long history of such projects; we are capitalizing on their experience.

The cost for the week is $800. Teachers are asked to pay $50; the rest is to be
covered by sponsors. If you would like to sponsor a teacher or a portion of a week for a teacher, you may send donations to Michigan Forest Foundation at 6120 S. Clinton Trail, Eaton Rapids, MI 48827 and mark it "Teacher
Workshop". Donations to the Foundation are tax deductible.

MFA Newsletter
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Ron, I have a cousin who is a teacher and she went out to MI in 2004 I think to some kind of forestry conference for teachers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Our county Forestry Association sponsors two teachers each year to the Teacher's Conservation Workshop.  We also gave scholarships to two students that were entering college majoring in Forestry.

We must continually promote Forestry Awareness.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

I attended one of these teacher tours of the forest and forest products industry several years ago.  It was run by the temperate forest foundation and the Florida Division of Forestry.  Now, it is done entirely by the Florida DOF.  It was targeted to regular classroom teachers and librarians.  I was one of a few agriculture teachers to attend.  The training was intense, we spent about 12 hours or more a day learning about the forest industry or touring various sites.  We went to a 40 acre clear cut, a ply wood mill, a paper mill, a chemical company (where they used turpenes from pines), a research site owned by a paper company where they were planting 1200 trees per acre, a hunting lodge/forest and the DeeDot Plantation.  DeeDot is a plantation of about 8,000 acres which is owned by the family that started Winn Dixie and is in Jacksonville.  They were proud of their long leaf pines and quail. 

I enjoyed the tour and learned quite a bit.  It was more interesting to watch the reactions of most of the other teachers.  Most of them were not accustomed to being in the woods.  Most thought, initially, that logging and cutting trees was bad for the environment.  Most were also not aware of the role fire plays in Florida's forests and the beneficial effects of fire.  I reccomend this tour to teachers often.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!