iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sealing hardwood logs?

Started by hogs4hobby, June 01, 2009, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogs4hobby

my neighbor has given me a big hickory log about 40 - 48" thru. about 16' log before any limbs. what is the best sealer that i can seal the log with when i cut to mill? also what products are avalible in the southeast & where can i purchase?

brdmkr

Visit Bailey's (on the left).  They sell end sealer and will ship.  It has been a while since I bought any, but I don't remember it being too expensive.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

backwoods sawyer

Anchor seal works very well for me. You can even get a winter mix that is a bit thicker. No matter what brand of wax based end sealer I am using I like to double coat all my logs. As soon as I make the cut on the end of the log I brush the sawdust off, and apply the first coat, about a half hour later I put a second coat on. Stay away from using old paint it don't work the same way as a wax based sealer does. You get what you pay for so, get the good stuff and you will not be disappointed, use the cheap stuff and you may find yourself trimming logs back and applying the good stuff on a now shorter log anyway, or just making firewood out of what was a good milling log.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

TheWoodsman

2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

hogs4hobby

thanks for the info! contacted anchorseal & got some on the way with free shipping!!!

Thank You Sponsors!