iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a band saw: decisions dilemmas and delusions

Started by BeeBazaar, May 17, 2023, 05:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeBazaar

So I'm in the planning stages of building a band sawmill and I anticipate from what I've read from other people I'm looking at close to a year to do this being as I work full time etc etc.  I want to Mill wood now and in the meantime. I've looked at some cheaper options, smaller Mills.  I really am not fond of the tracks on a lot of these entry models in the 2800 range I just don't like them and all the models and brands seem to be right around that price range.  A guy just listed locally an Oscar 121 that I went and looked at tonight the mill seems nice enough I like the track better I guess it's 16 ft long and he wants 2,800 with seven extra blades and a Peavey.  I don't know if that seems high or fair or what. I figure if I get a little mill like that they'll hold me over till I get done and I could probably sell it and recoup most of my money later on or decide to keep it and have a small mill or possibly mounted on trailer I don't know.   Does anyone ever have a large mill and a small mi? I don't know if cutting an 8 or 10 inch log on a bigger mill for a 36 in bigger log if that presents other issues or if it's just one mill and that's it.
(Admin edit: craigslist ads not allowed)

My other dilemma is I'm looking at some plans I got I guess I think it's Texas bens Mill and I'm actually quite impressed with it but it's a lot of work which is fine I'm not worried about it.  Today I'm here I saw something about Linn lumber Mills and look at that out curiosity and I actually like their complete carriage that you have to build and assemble yourself.  I guess there could be pros and cons to either but the Linn kind of looks like I could stretch it and you got to build your own track anyway.  I have a donor engine with like 20 hours on it, it's 19 horsepower off of a riding mower that I am going to use with regardless of what I do.  

I think if I go to Texas Ben's plans the mill might be a little more robust but in all honesty, I'm looking at probably a year or more with the Linn I can probably have it built in 6 months or 8 months or whatnot maybe faster maybe by Christmas I don't know I still need to call and talk to them about lead times and all that stuff.  In the meantime if I get that Oscar I could literally be sawing tonight if I went and picked it up if I got a entry level mill, frontier or woodlands or whatever I've got to wait for several weeks and then build it and I already know I don't like the tracks on them for whatever reason I don't know.  But I'm getting analysis paralysis either way and I just want to cut my freaking Cherry logs....

(Sorry for the book 🙄)
Phil

fluidpowerpro

If it's a Hud-son HFE21, it's not an Oscar, its a Homesteader. The Oscar is a heavier duty saw compared to the Homesteader. $2800 is a fair price if it's in reasonable condition.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Southside

To answer your question - those 8" or so "logs" are going to give you more problems - lower quality lumber - than a 36" log - speaking in general terms here - due to the nature of the fiber itself, not the mill on which you saw it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

fluidpowerpro

If you have never milled before, I think there is a lot of value buying a lower cost mill before you build one. In addition to learning how to saw, you will get a better idea of what features you want to incorporate in the one you build.
Change is hard....

jpassardi

Good advise given above. Generally 12" is the minimum log I saw unless it's walnut or cherry.

Good luck.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

BeeBazaar

Thanks all.  I was thinking it might be nice to have a small one for familiarity and learning.  I posted a link to the add, but I guess thats not allowed?  here is the mill.

Old Greenhorn

What you have there is an Oscar 121. I have a 328 and they are quite similar. I bought mine used and it needed some TLC, but not much before I was making wood. It took a couple of years before I was making 'good wood' and I am still working on improving. When I began running an LT50 it was an easy step up and all that basic knowledge came along with me and got applied immediately.
 There are (IMHO) 3 major components to getting into making lumber. The first is getting a mill, which is the easiest and smallest part of the overall effort. The selection depends on your output goals and requirements. LOTS of good discussion points available for your reading all over this forum, do some reading. 

The second part is material handling, this can be a much bigger nut to crack depending on your situation. How do I get logs on and off, or even up to the mill? What do I do with slabs, sawdust, and other 'waste' products? Where do I stack and sticker wood, how do I keep it dry? How do I turn logs on the mill? So that part can take a bit of work and/or expense 

The third part is the big one, and that is milling knowledge. Understanding how to read a log, predict what it might do, plan your cuts for the best yield, and how to get the most useable lumber out of any given log. Also learning your mill, it's maintenance requirements, repairs, spare parts. Blades are another whole set of 'classes'. Wood drying and behavior, insect control, and a ton of other stuff comes up that you never thought you would have to take time to learn. Some folks spend several decades learning this stuff. There is no school for it, except maybe right here. :) (I note that a bunch of us from all over NA just drove/flew/walked/swam or waddled all the way down to GA last month to share 2 days sharing such knowledge and learning at no small personal expense. This is what some of us do just to get a little bit better.)

I tell you all that so I can say this: Choosing a decent entry level manual mill is not a bad place to start, especially for someone new to sawing. Some of the reasons have been mentioned in the replies above, some of the things you need to learn I mentioned already in this reply. A manual mill puts you closer to the work. You can see and feel how the mill responds up close. You gain and appreciation for handling logs, selecting cut patterns and working thoughtfully so as not to waste effort and time. In addition, you very quickly learn where your plans have holes that need filling or adjusting. With a small mill modifications become easier and less complex to do. If you want to build down the road, you will learn a great deal about what you want, what you need to improve on, and maybe what you want to copy as is. The learning benefits alone can save you lots of time, materials, and money when you start building your dream machine.

I don't think that 121 is made anymore, but not to worry. Hud-Son uses similar parts on most of their machines and all parts for that should be available with a phone call at a reasonable cost. There is always an English speaking person answering the phone. Many of their parts can be replaced with standard hardware available most places. They are pretty easy machines to work on. If you do pull the trigger, run 4° blades on that mill, you will be happier. Took me almost 2 years to learn that one. ;D
 I did find a video of that mill in action. Caution, this fella let's some salty language slip in here and there. He's up in Newfoundland and his accent kind of gives that away. :D

Best of luck to you, keep us in the loop. (BTW, if you read the forum rules you will understand why that link was removed.)

BANDSAW OSCAR 121 MILLING LUMBER - YouTube

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BeeBazaar

makes sense... walk before you crawl I suppose.  I do think it would be a good reference for a build too.

I am picking it up tomorrow.  I have some White Ash and Wild black cherry to mill and I cant wait.  This can do everything I have sans 1 24" ash log thats 9' long.  I may take it and have it slabbed by someone in the mean time, idk.

He has 7 or 8 extra blades. Is there an easy way to tell if a blade is sharp before you put it on the mill?  or is it just see how it cuts?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: BeeBazaar on May 18, 2023, 09:31:43 AMHe has 7 or 8 extra blades. Is there an easy way to tell if a blade is sharp before you put it on the mill?  or is it just see how it cuts?
Let the blade loop slide down your leg. If you start oozing a lot of blood, it's sharp. If it just leaves a little white scratch, not sharp.😉

When I saw HF I was thinking Harbor Freight and $2,800 was too much.

Good luck with your new toy!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fluidpowerpro

Congratulations on your purchase. Based on the pictures, that mill looks to be in really good condition. It is as you said an Oscar which is a better design. The main difference is it has 4 posts in addition to the 2 that the saw runs up and down on. This makes for a very sturdy frame. 
If you also got the base that under the track, that is a huge plus. The steel angle iron tracks from Hudson are pretty sturdy, but I have found that it's important to have them well supported. I suggest keeping a spare drive belt on hand. They do last quite a while but sometimes if a blade breaks it will damage the belt.
I expect that you will be happy with your purchase and you will be able to do more with it than you expect. Make sure and keep us posted on your upcoming journey.
Change is hard....

BeeBazaar

thanks for the insight all.  I picked it up last night and milled a small pine log i had just because i wanted to cut something lol now I need to figure out what im doing.  overall 1st impressions were good.  i think the blade might be dull.  Im going to change it.  motor needs a tune up im sure.  i dont have anything to compare it to, but i think the log dogs I think they are leave something to be desired on that track.  but I think this is easily enough remedied.  if the weather cooperates I can see some of this cherry and ash today.

I also really like the working model i can examine.  the basic structure is rather simple.  so i still need to ponder full build vs a Linn.  but ive got time now

Stephen1

A nice mill that will help you learn to saw wood. Soon you will forget about building your own mill and just buy a bigger mill with hydraulics so you can even more sawdust!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

BeeBazaar

had a crash course in mill maintenance today.  i am changing the blade.  and noticed the drive belt is about 90% broke.  so I changed that.  but then sonce i had to loosen the pillar block to change the belt, I checked and the idle side inside of the sheave was ~1/2" off a 6 foor level.  so how do you knwo wheich side isnt straight?  or does it not really matter as long as the level touches both side on the same plane?  its straight edge good now.  but it was the diel side that seemed off even tho I loosened the drive side....

Ljohnsaw

I'm not sure what you are saying or trying to show. The wheels need to start out in the same plane but as you test and adjust your tracking, they will likely no longer be in the same plane as you tip the wheels independently as needed for the blade to track on each wheel.

Hope that makes sense.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

BeeBazaar

I put the blade on per manual.  And turn the whole thing by hand 4 revolutions.  The blade is off the back of the sheave about an 1/8"  when I took the old one off it was even on drive side and 1/4" in on idle side.  After aligning the wheels and new blad both sides track the blade the same but it's hanging off in the back just a bit.  Is that ok? 

I ran the mill and had no issues but that's with no load.  

BeeBazaar

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 20, 2023, 04:20:25 PM
I'm not sure what you are saying or trying to show. The wheels need to start out in the same plane but as you test and adjust your tracking, they will likely no longer be in the same plane as you tip the wheels independently as needed for the blade to track on each wheel.

Hope that makes sense.
QuoteI don't know what's supposed to make sense yet  the videos and what I have read, the Oscar wheels are set first.  But I can't say if that's right or not.  I'm not 100% sure what proper tracking is either if I'm being honest.  I have read that saw mills need a slight amount of toe in.  But Oscar has this double bar on ea side of the wheel.  But then again the wheels can still be twisted inside of it so ... 🤷🤷
Collapse Quote

fluidpowerpro

I have an Oscar 18 and typically I set it up so the back of the blade is even with the side of the wheel. If the blade is riding the same on both wheels, I would think your ok. Just make sure you adjust the blade guides so the blade is not touching the bearing on the back of the blade. You want about 1/8" clearance. It shouldn't contact that bearing while sawing. 
Change is hard....

BeeBazaar

Thanks.  I set it that way initially but it set itself after turning it buy hand.  But didn't move after running with no load for a few minutes.  And I have the guide set like that per the manual, so should be good.  Couldn't cut today.  Had to get a honey bee swarm.  I work tomorrow and after work I have to tend to bees.  Hoping Monday I can try it out.  If I have issues I'm sure I'll be back 🙄

Southside

Are you checking the tracking with the band properly tensioned?  That makes a difference. Was that a cut out swarm or hanging in a branch? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BeeBazaar

this was after I tensioned the belt.  I don't have a feel for it yet and the book says 30-35 ft/lbs.  But there wasn't any sag or deflection as they indicate to check.

This swarm was on a branch.  This is at a buddy's who has 45 acres and a lot of wooded area.  I imagine its a good area for wild hives.  2 days ago he saw a hive in a black locust tree and asked if I would remove it.  He wants to build a barn and that tree is in the way.  it would be a cut out.  But Ill make a trap to remove them and requeen.  then yesterday he calls and has a swarm on a branch not 20 yards from the tree hive.  i'm not sure if its a coincidence, or if the tree hive swarmed.   Then 4 days ago I noticed a swarm moved into a hive of mine that didn't make the winter, so I got lucky this week with bees.  Ill go back this week to set the trap for the tree and when he cuts it down Ill take the comb (and the wood)

Thank You Sponsors!