iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ham in the pot, nine days old

Started by Tom, February 09, 2010, 09:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I don't know how old it was, but it was a healthy bit of ham, left on the bone.  A baked, smoked ham that I convinced Gael didn't need a bunch of sugar, maple syrup and other sweet stuff on it.

I put the ham in a big pot, filled with water, dusted with cayenne, put in a teaspoon of salt, put on the lid and brought to a boil.  In another pot, I heated some water and a pound of butter beans, then let them sit.  I turned down the ham to low and left it to boil for a couple of hours.  The beans had absorbed the water and softened by this time, so I poured the water off (it reduces flatulance supposedly) and put them in with the ham along with a coarsely chopped onion.  About 30 minutes later I dipped up some mighty fine butter beans and ham with a medium thick broth, added a little black pepper and sat at the computer to eat it and read.  Man!  Was it good.

I have enough left over for at least 5 more servings, though it could use some more beans.

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WDH

Now it is time to make some cornbread  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ErikC

We had a ham on Sunday, and I was going to make beans with it tomorrow, or the next day. But I guess I have to wait until this time next week :D (maybe it needs to ripen ?  :-\)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

:D :D

I think it's been about 3 weeks now we were to a restaurant and I had to come home to get something to eat for supper to fill the void. I had slow cooked a pork roast, onion, taters,carrots, and parsnip and a handful of barely with a couple dumplings at the end cooked on top. I seasoned with salt and garlic powder, might even have been a dash of Cajun mix in there, oh and a couple OXO boulion packets (we can't get the cubes no more). Talk about good and the carrots and parsnip were nice and sweet. mmmmmmmm I ate that for 4 days. :D

And yes, I had corn bread on the side. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Ham Bone Soup tonight.......With YELLOW Cornbread...... musteat_1

Yumm Yummmm
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WH_Conley

Don't mean to hijack, but.

My wife has been on my case about GOOD corn meal, we had some at celebration/ trade days a few years ago, it was good, and fresh. Anybody got any good info on the hand powered grist mills on the market today?
Bill

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on February 10, 2010, 11:17:11 PM
That looks delicious 

I was, and was again today for lunch, and will be again tonight.  Good soup, like chili, gets better every day.

Is too much soup bad for you  ???  Nah.....no such thing as too much soup..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pappy19

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 11, 2010, 12:39:52 AM
Don't mean to hijack, but.

My wife has been on my case about GOOD corn meal, we had some at celebration/ trade days a few years ago, it was good, and fresh. Anybody got any good info on the hand powered grist mills on the market today?

I have tried many and this one is the best IMHO. Their grits and pancake mix is the only thing I use now.

http://www.fallsmill.com/store.html
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

No, you cannot have too much soup, unless you are Beenthere. 

NO SOUP FOR BEENTHERE!

Magicman

I just finished another bowl......and more fresh YELLOW cornbread.... musteat_1

LOGDOG

It's hard to beat a good soup. I could eat soup everyday - of one kind or another. I had made a big pot of tomatoe vegetable beef soup a while back. We froze what we had left. I tend to cook like I'm cooking for a family of six even though it's just the wo of us. Pulled that soup out day before last and it was just as good as could be.

This year I'm going to pick up a "food mill" for putting up the excess tomatoes from the garden. It'll let me juice them and keep the seeds out. It's nice having homegwon tomatoes on hand for a soup base year around.

My mother-in-law makes a mean cornbread and an even meaner cornbread dressing. You guys from the South know about cornbread dressing. I had never seen nor tasted it until moving here. It's out of this world good. I could sit and eat a pan of it at Thanksgiving and nothing more.

LOGDOG

Magicman

Quote from: LOGDOG on February 11, 2010, 09:58:18 PM
cornbread dressing...... I could sit and eat a pan of it at Thanksgiving and nothing more. LOGDOG

Are you saying that there is something else  ???   :D :D :D

LOGDOG

You hit it on the head Magicman. The notion of a "stove top" type stuffing like they make up north just wouldn't even be entertained in my wife's family. They've one me over that's for sure.  ;D I'm not complaining.

LOGDOG

SwampDonkey

Stovetop?? That's a new phenomenon. Traditional dressing up here is made a bit differently and baked.  8) There is also Oyster dressing, which I'm not too fond of.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

SD ... When I say "Stove Top" I'm not really referring to the brand or actually cooking it on the top of the stove. I mean the bread crump type stuffing. I've eaten plenty of it over the years and enjoyed it too. But this cornbread "dressing" (they don't call it stuffing here) it's something else. I'll have to get the recipe and post it here.

LOGDOG

Magicman

Quote from: LOGDOG on February 12, 2010, 06:58:56 AM
I'll have to get the recipe and post it here. LOGDOG

Bet you're gonna have trouble with a recipe.  Good cooks have them.......but don't use them....... :D

Kinda like cornbread, biscuits, dumplins, and other stuff that taste good.....  food6

LOGDOG

You might be right. I may have to make it with my mother-in-law and keep track as we go.  ;) How's that sound? Might even get a pictorial out of the deal.  ;D

LOGDOG

Texas Ranger

One of the things brought by when Sue was down was navy beans, ham, onion and celery in a soup.  The liquid was spicy V-8 juice.  Mighty fine.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ErikC

Made it today-9 days old just like Tom told me too. :D Beans, a chopped onion, two heads of minced garlic, a ham-bone, bacon ends, a little molasses and some spices. I will be eating it for the rest of the week, happily. This batch is GOOOD!!
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Raider Bill

Bag of 15 beans, last nights ham, chicken boullian, 2 onions, garlic and some adobo seasoning.
digin_2

Lunch today, supper tonight and lunch tomorrow! 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!