iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can't believe these were $32 each

Started by Patrick NC, June 16, 2021, 01:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I needed a couple of 2x6s to form up a short piece of curb and gutter today. Concrete was on the site and we were a couple boards short. There's a supplier about a quarter mile from the job site, so I called and they said someone would bring them right over. Sure enough, 10 minutes later a truck shows up and this is what he had. Hands me an invoice for $64 plus a $50 delivery fee. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Southside

$200 / mile delivery fee on top of that fine quality material.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

well, if you consider the situation, and in your mind decide that the delivery/time is worth 100 bucks, that knocks the board price down to 7 dollars each.   :D :D :D  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Yeah no this is why I ordered a sawmill, I don't care if the prices go even lower than before, I'm done, I'll do everything myself.
A1

mike_belben

Just how cheap can the dollar get?  Stay tuned. 
Praise The Lord

DocGP

JMHO,

I do think wood is about to bust.  Futures seem to be indicating that.  I think it will outrun the dollar on the way down, but with the herculean efforts they are putting in to destroying our currency, I am sure it will soar again soon!!

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

mike_belben

It is rather diabolical in its brilliance.
Praise The Lord

JRWoodchuck

Did they warn you of the we'll send a guy right over fee? If not I would knocking on the managers desk
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

mike_belben

Yeah to send the errand boy back to finish out the 3 or 4 hours of chores you got billed for!
Praise The Lord

sealark37

Hold on to that picture.  You may need it in the near future to show how cheap lumber was in "the good old days".

firefighter ontheside

I bought a 2x8x16 treated for $46 last week.  My hometown lumber yard has no control over that price, but their price to deliver it across town would have been $0.  They deliver lumber to me 10 miles outside of town for free.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Patrick NC

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on June 16, 2021, 04:33:14 PM
Did they warn you of the we'll send a guy right over fee? If not I would knocking on the managers desk
The delivery fee just added insult to injury. The salesman from this place has been stopping by the job once a week trying to get me to buy from him. (Regional chain. I won't mention the name.) Well, this was the first and will be the last. The place was so close that I could have had a laborer walk over and carry those 2 boards back. Lesson learned. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

HemlockKing

Pretty much anytime I go to a cashier or a payment it's a gut punch, I quickly scan and add up my tally in my head to make sure I'm not getting scammed, it's that bad, prices are so ridiculous it got me thinking "holy dang, there's NO WAY, let me count this up" . Bottle
Of pop, chips and a candy bar? 10$ lol 
A1

mike_belben

Yup.  Its funny how a dollar used to buy the soda a coin or two covered the tax.  Now the tax alone on a little snack is a dollar and a coin.  My rounding up went from 1s to 5s to 10s.  

I try to stay home as much as possible.  Leaving is very expensive. 
Praise The Lord

Patrick NC

Quote from: mike_belben on June 17, 2021, 10:58:00 AM
Yup.  Its funny how a dollar used to buy the soda a coin or two covered the tax.  Now the tax alone on a little snack is a dollar and a coin.  My rounding up went from 1s to 5s to 10s.  

I try to stay home as much as possible.  Leaving is very expensive.
I can remember asking my grandfather for 35¢ to buy a candy bar and getting 2¢ back in change. Of course that was about 1979 or so. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

btulloh

Ok, you're opening a dangerous subject now. :D 35 cents for a candy bar is outrageous inflation when I used to pay a nickel.  :( :(  The first fast food joint that opened here charged .15 for a hamburger and .10 for a coke. No sales tax back then either. Lumber wasn't on my radar back then, but I'm pretty sure they paid you take something like you've got there. 
HM126

D6c

Was in the local lumber yard the other day and the owner was complaining that it's the lumber producers that are getting rich and he's not getting any of it. By all accounts the lumber companies ARE getting rich, but if the retainer is still making the same percentage markup they're making three times the profit too.... something he was not admitting to.

Woodpecker52

What happens when you flood the economy with trillions of paper dollars.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

SwampDonkey

Recently heard from AP news, Bezos' ex has been giving out fortunes to charities, no strings attached. Some people have a conscious. I do buy some stuff on Amazon, but have time and time again found better products and price from other sources. I don't care if it is third parties doing a lot of selling on there, they still run the show, it's still their house so to speak.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Last nights TV news showed lumber trading price was down 41% -this was during an inflation discussion- the inflation that "wasn't happening" only two weeks ago?   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!