iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Accidents

Started by timberturner, September 07, 2002, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have a lighted star during Christmas in the top of one of my oaks (About 60 foot up). A fishing pole cast wouldnt work, to much line arc which tangled up in the limbs. I connected the fishing line to an arrow and shot it up with the bow. I have a little 30 lb childs bow for just such occasions. Works good if you secure the fishing line well to the arrow.

Oh, dont look away when the arrow is in flight. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Apparently, Jeff, you've been neglecting your fishing.  You gotta practice a lot.  I grew up fishing the creeks and rivers in our jungle-like terrain, and have pretty much perfected the "line of sight" cast. I'm also quite proficient at working my line out of limb entanglements. My  Dad always accused me of fishing for squirrels, when I ended up in the trees. :D

Besides, when we played Cowboys and Indians, I was always the cowboy. I can't figger out how to put a line on a limb with a six-shooter, though. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

firtol88

Some good stuff in this thread.

heres an updated link to the OSHA site http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/mainpage.html
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Hunter

Some great info. I really like the idea of the fishing pole and really like the bow and arrow.
I have been using an expnsive sling shot, but these other ideas are great.
Thanks
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

oldsaw-addict

There is at least one safety related thing that I have not seen anyone mention here yet, when operating a chainsaw or any other dangerous tool for that matter, you must and I mean MUST be SOBER, NO alcohol before working, maybe after but not before. I only try cutting trees when well rested, on a full stomach, totally sober, fully alert, and completely aware of my surondings. A safe worker is the one that comes out of the woods with few or no injuries at all, an unsafe worker either comes out on a stretcher or in a bodybag because of his errors/ unsafe habits.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Engineer

Question about boring the backcut, a few posts back -

How do you bore a leaner that is considerably longer than the bar?  Go in from both sides, hope they meet in the middle?

beenthere

That should work okay, as long as you don't destroy the integrity of the hinge or the depth of the strap holding the tree (until you are ready). The bore cuts one over the other will split out between the cuts when the back strap is cut. Just will not be as pretty a butt cut, or stump cut, as most of us like to see (unless you meet both bore cuts perfectly  ;D)

I recently had a leaning white oak, that I bored until the 20" bar just poked through, but in doing so didn't leave enough of the back strap holding this leaner. Before I finished the cut towards the hinge from the 'other' side, the back strap ripped loose, splitting the tree up the first 8 feet. Made the decision for me that it will only be firewood now.  Bummer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oldsaw

Never had a real one, but had a tree chase me around the trunk a couple of times.  Was about 8000 ft of elevation and took down a fir on a fairly steep slope.  When the tree started to tip, a strong gust hit and pushed it back over, where it rolled against another tree, and another, followed by another gust which caught it again, sending it another direction.  By this time I was pretty dang tired of running up and down the slope dancing with the tree, and still didn't know where the thing would end up.

In the end, it fell about 30 degrees off of where it was supposed to, in what was actually probably seconds, but felt like an hour.  There had been no wind all morning, and the winds died down minutes after the tree fell and never returned the rest of the day.  That was probaby the 5th or 6th tree of the morning, every other one was textbook.  My partner just stood and stared, he hadn't seen anything like it either.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

redpowerd

;Dnice

seen something like that in the woods, cept cant talk about the dead :'(
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

firtol88

QuoteNever had a real one, but had a tree chase me around the trunk a couple of times.  Was about 8000 ft of elevation and took down a fir on a fairly steep slope.  When the tree started to tip, a strong gust hit and pushed it back over, where it rolled against another tree, and another, followed by another gust which caught it again, sending it another direction.  By this time I was pretty dang tired of running up and down the slope dancing with the tree, and still didn't know where the thing would end up.

In the end, it fell about 30 degrees off of where it was supposed to, in what was actually probably seconds, but felt like an hour.  There had been no wind all morning, and the winds died down minutes after the tree fell and never returned the rest of the day.  That was probaby the 5th or 6th tree of the morning, every other one was textbook.  My partner just stood and stared, he hadn't seen anything like it either.

It was just tryin to make a point, and remind ya who should respect who. :D   I'm not laughin at ya I'm laughin with ya on that one.
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

redpowerd

well, shucks
who respects a saw? ???
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Stan

I had the wind come up on a windless day and set the tree back on my saw. I got off the flat, and about 30 feet into the woods uphill from the tree. While I was heading back to get my other saw, I heard it crack. DanGed tree fell exactly the opposite way I wanted, and knocked the carb off my log splitter.  :-/ I was scared enough, I didn't need the $100 loss to boot.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

iain

some trees are not ment to be taken down

wood dwers need some where to go

iain

Larry

Nothing bloody for me yet ;D.  Few saw tracks across the boots when cleaning brush out of fence rows.  Found myself in the bottom of a ditch one time when I didn't pay attention to tension in the tree when I cut the top off.  Cutting the top off the tree is always the scariest thing for me to do.  

Chain brakes – I thought the only purpose was to prevent kickback until I took GOL.  When making a felling cut as soon as the tree starts to go the brake is on with a flip of my wrist.  I can keep an eye on the tree as I go on my escape path.  Walking around a big tree where the bar won't reach through – brake on.  Trimming fences when I walk – brake on.  After a while it becomes automatic and easier than putting on a seat belt in the car.  Maybe a small thing but I hate stitches.  Sorta funny the older I get the safer I get.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

oldsaw-addict

QuoteNothing bloody for me yet ;D.  Few saw tracks across the boots when cleaning brush out of fence rows.  Found myself in the bottom of a ditch one time when I didn't pay attention to tension in the tree when I cut the top off.  Cutting the top off the tree is always the scariest thing for me to do.  

Chain brakes – I thought the only purpose was to prevent kickback until I took GOL.  When making a felling cut as soon as the tree starts to go the brake is on with a flip of my wrist.  I can keep an eye on the tree as I go on my escape path.  Walking around a big tree where the bar won't reach through – brake on.  Trimming fences when I walk – brake on.  After a while it becomes automatic and easier than putting on a seat belt in the car.  Maybe a small thing but I hate stitches.  Sorta funny the older I get the safer I get.
Hey, safe is better than sorry right? I  hate stitches too, they arent fun. I'll take a minor inconvenience over a major injury anytime, the one that gets me the most is trimming along canals and getting the saw stuck in a tree right above the water, all you can do is get the hatchet out, start chopping and hope the saw doesnt fall on you. I've done things like standing on a tree slip and fall right on another branch that is right below me, its not much fun to do that and hit yourself there, if you get my point.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Larry

QuoteThings that can get you in trouble fast if you don't know the proper techniques are leaning trees and hollow trees.

Noble,
Think this one is hollow enough?  Black oak always gives me trouble because the hinge wood is brittle and when you get one that is hollow it's real trouble.  Been doing TSI in Arkansas and run into a lot of trees like this up to about 3' dbh.  

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Stan

Larry I used that brake on method with a Poulan that was hard to start, Wore out the brake band. Had to buy the whole side cover.  :-/ My Husky starts by the third pull hot or cold, I've been turnin it off to move. I think it is just as safe although a bit more tiring.  :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

rebocardo

Try using the lean calculator on the left hand menu. I did one to figure out what I would need to correct a leaning tree I had.

Turns out if the cable is below the center of gravity, the load on the line is almost doubled! In my case that would be almost 8,000 pounds! Well beyond the working liits of 1/4 cable.

Only way to get the load to about 3,000 pounds on the line was to put the line almost at the top of the tree at 60 feet.

re: hollow log
Those are the trees that really scare me. Can look okay and straight on the outside and totally rotted on the inside. A killer for sure.

sawguy21

A fellow I worked with, an experienced logger, is now a paraplegic because of a "widow maker". He got careless showing someone how to drop a big spruce and the top hit another tree, snapped off and drilled him. His companion was supposed to be a minimum of 100' from the tree but was standing beside him. Mistake #2
 I am left handed and had a bad habit of drop starting the big saws until one day I noticed a hole in my jeans just below the  bulge in my pocket created by keys and chainge. Never did that again.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bruce_A

If you fall timber, you will make a mistake sooner or later.  I have small scratches on the bones on my leg and a couple scratches on a couple fingers from those accidents before the days of chain brakes and chaps.  However we used to figure  that if you didn't make a mistake once in a while, you wern't doing anything.

leweee

Interesting fact : More people are injured from coasting chain than chain under power.
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rebocardo

> More people are injured from coasting chain than chain under power

In that case, chaps are a good argument.

Stephen_Wiley

[size=22]CAUTION........CAUTION[/size]
This procedure should only be performed by a professional saw operator.  If you are learning find a qualified cutter to demonstrate.

Failure to do so, will result in injury, death or property damage.  The tree will barber chair badly if cut wrong.

Other 'unknowns' may also be detected by a professional in 'tree structural weaknesses' which will not be notable to the begginer.

Jeff, has stated this caution very well.......... as another professional I want to emphasize his point.  Get training by a qualified operator before attempting any falling techniques.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Stephen_Wiley

Ooooppsss.......

Late at night and I did not finish reading all the posts before posting the above reply.

Sorry guys if the info is redundent. ::)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!