iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026 or 029 vs husky 55 or 346 xp.

Started by DanManofStihl, June 21, 2004, 04:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanManofStihl

Which do you think would be a better saw for medium trees I want a saw for a 20 inch bar Which do you think would be a better saw. thanks
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

SasquatchMan

What dealer is closest to you and offers the best service?  That would be the determining factor for me in terms of brand.  
As for the saws, the 026 is better than the 29 in terms of construction and performance, though the 29 has a touch more power out of the box (but for an extra 3 pounds), and the 346xp is more popular around here for power:weight than the 55, but you could hardly call the 55 a bad saw.

Running a 20" bar I would go up a step in saw I think (esp if you're cutting hardwood - I know a guy with a 20" bar on a MS290 and it works fine, but all he cuts is spruce and poplar), and maybe look at the Stihl 361 or a bigger Husky, and everybody around here will tell you that the 372xp is the way to go.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Ed

Sasquatch is correct, 372 Husky with a 20" bar is perfect. The saw handles that bar without any problems & it don't beat you up.
I have an 026 with a 16" bar & there ain't no way I would put a 20 on it, not enough power.
Also had a 20" bar on a 036 & it didn't last long, not enough power. Traded it in on an 046, now we got power. The only bad thing is that 046 will pound you. If I have to use a medium size saw for any length of time, the 046 stays home & I pilfer dad's 372.

Rocky_J

I really get a chuckle whenever a new potential saw owner comes on and asks advice on what saw to buy. Most are looking in the 3 cube range (029 or Husky 55 or similar) and it usually takes about 2-3 days before the saw nuts start rattling on about 372's and 046's. A homeowner looking for his first saw has absolutely NO BUSINESS looking at a 72cc chainsaw! A homeowner's first saw will most likely be run dull most of the time and will be a 'learning saw' for it's owner. New saw owners have no way to appreciate a pro saw since they have no basis for comparison and won't be able to get the production out of it anyway. Does a 16 year old teen have the ability to appreciate a Lexus or Beemer 7 series for his first car? Let him learn in the family sedan before sticking him in a high dollar car that he won't know how to use.

Get an 029 or 55 and it will hold up well for you as you learn how to run it. Both are solid homeowner saws with years of proven performance. Ignore the pros who try to sell you on their $700 dream saws.

Oregon_Rob

It really depends on what kind of a person is looking for a new saw. I can really appreciate Tony's point of view. Kind of like the guy who has never owned a boat going out and buying a $100k luxury cruiser. Better to make your mistakes on a little beater 500 used motor boat first then move up. Mistakes on new, expensive equipment ain't much fun. If you are a real mechanically inclined person, who understands equipment and the finer points of things, I suggest that you get the 346xp. And spend a good amount of time on the chainsaw forum(s) and learn how to sharpen and maintain the saw. If you don't really care to know that much and just want to cut a few logs or some brush once in a while, go the 029 or 55. I know that I am about to get reprimanded for mentioning that you could get a saw and not commit your full, undivided attention to learning every aspect of a saw, but I know that's not reality for many, no matter what is said.
The other thing about bar length, it is easy to want too much bar, but in reality, it is better to stay on the shorter side. Less weight, less drag, less dangerous, less filing, more agile... If you occasionally have to cut from both sides, that's no big deal if 80 % of what you cut is smaller.
Sorry for being long winded, it just get carried away sometimes.

ROB
Chainsaw Nerd

SwampDonkey

I use the Husky 55 for my stovewood (furnace) and its great. But if your going to go be a pro logger it  don't cut fast enough for that and not enough torque. I  use a 16 inch bar, you better go a step up for 20 inches as suggested.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

;) Oregon_Bob

We all appreciate your post, no apologies neccessary. No one more of a wind bang around here than me. Well, I can think of a couple others. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanManofStihl

I already have a new stihl 066 magnum but I need a medium saw something that is not so heavy i had a stihl ms 440 but it was a litttle to much weight to haul around when all I need is something to pull a 20 inch bar through pine and cedar.

incognitive

Then why are you asking?  Get the 026 so you can share bars and sprocket covers, etc. between them.  Why by another incompatible brand?  The 029 weighs almost exactly the same as the 044 so if weight was a factor with the 044 you should forget the 029.

Bruce_A

Does it matter if I throw a rock overhand or underhand?  As long as I hit the target.  :D ;D :D

Oregon_Rob

I agree with Incognitive! does that make him cognaitive? :P
If you want to mix it up then get the 346xp. find a dealer and pick up the saws and see which one feels better. I have a 385xp and very much want a 346 as well. (I know they won't share bars) but i think the two saws would complement each over very well.

QuoteThen why are you asking?  Get the 026 so you can share bars and sprocket covers, etc. between them.  Why by another incompatible brand?  The 029 weighs almost exactly the same as the 044 so if weight was a factor with the 044 you should forget the 029.
Chainsaw Nerd

Ed

Dan,
I have a friend that has a 20" for his 55 husky & it handles it ok. He usually uses an 18". That should work for what you want to do. (cutting softwoods)
Another suggestion would be a used 254xp, nice size & weight with more power than the 55. To bad husky quit making it.

Striker

My thoughts(after running a two screw 026 for the last eighteen months) is stay away from the 026-260, unless Stihl has added the third screw to the carb. Stay away from the 270 also.we have problems with the one we have.The 390 is a good saw if a bit heavy. Wish I had gotten the 036 instead.

I run a 16" bar on a husky 55, prefer that saw to the 026,but it is my personal saw so I don't use it at work much.

Jeff

incognitive

I have an 036 and it's a very good little buddy to my 066.  The 036 loves a 20" bar in this central Indiana hardwood.  The MS361 is probably even better than the 036 and I'd heartily recommend either in this case, but they weren't up for nomination.  Sometimes I wonder if the 026/046 wouldn't make a more reasonable combo for me, but I'm not complaining much.

SwampDonkey

My Husky 55 I keep 'singin sharp' and I cut rock maple, beech, yellow birch and ironwood for stove wood in my yard. It goes through the logs like a knife through cheese, but I notice that it will stall out from lack of torque. The saw is well maintained and I go through 3 cords in 5 hours of cutting, loading the trailor and piling over behind the house. Then that's good enough for that day. ;) I do all my winter wood in 2 days, plus two days piling down cellar. A pro saw would not loose power, so that is why I stick with the short bar on the 55. By the way, I measure my bar length from where the bar leaves the housing, to the tip. SO I got 16 inches or cutting surface, but the total bar length is 20 inches.;)

Erick

just my two cents I have a ms260pro AKA 026 (if you want the carb adjustments you have to get the pro model and you want the carb adjustments) I would highly recomend this saw 3.5 HP for only 10.5 LBS. it's the pefect saw for all around limbing and bucking large limbs and small trees. I have a 021 a 036 and a 046 and I use the 260 more often than any of them. I run an 18 inch bar on mine and cant see any reason it wouldnt run a 20. I would recomend replacing the "safty chain" with somthing a little more agressive. If you already have the bigger saws you really dont need more than an18" bar its much better for limbing and when it gets to be too small get a bigger saw. Any way sorry for the long wind just wanted to say love the 260pro and think you would not be disapointed. :)
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

DanManofStihl

No I got a used 036 pro I had a 026 regular and I thought it was under powered for cutiing with a 20 in 3/8 pt bar I traded it off pretty quickly for a bigger model.

sawguy21

The 026/MS260 and the MS290 definitely won't handle 3/8 chain. The 55 will. I can't keep them on the shelf right now. SD, what are you doing that yours lacks torque? Only one under 59 cc I have seen that will handle real chain
Like others have said, it goes back to intended usage.  The MS260 and 346xp are built for professional daily use. The 290 and 55 are for the farmer/rancher/weekend woodcutter.
Our distributor does not stock the 346. Seems nobody here will pay the bucks for a saw under 50cc. The 353 is a hot item, though
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Erick

Never tried the 3/8 chain bought the saw with .325 pitch .063 gauge bar and chain and just left it that way I use the stihl RS chain and have had no problems.I use this saw for everything (thinking of selling the 021 and 036 but I just cant bring myself to sell a perfectly good saw)  but like I said I am using 325 pitch chain and an 18" bar that might the all the saw can handle??
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

abeyanko414

The newer MS260 pro I believe has 3.75 horsepower, and weighs only 10.5 pounds. I don't think you have much better power to weight ratio out there. I've held the thing and it's almost like  you have a toy in your hand, lightweight, nimble, a perfect saw for limbing, and such, plus with 3.75 horse you could run a 20" bar on softer wood all day long. If you already got the bigger saws, well then you're set with the 260, but it's pricey.
    I have the 270 that's got some of the pro features and it's a little easier on the pocket book. I run a 20" bar on it and for medium to soft wood it is great. It'll cut through hardwood too, just not as fast. I am not competeing in the timbersports competion either though ;0)

slowzuki

I went through the same q's last fall.  I got the MS260, I like it a lot now I got the normal airfilter that is supposed to come on them.

The husqys mentioned are nice saws too, a friend has one.  Can't see the use of a 20" bar on this size saw, 16" is a good match, the saw runs out of power when its pulling the full 16" in wood.

Another friend has a husqy 262xp or something like that?  It seems to have a bit more juice than my MS260, if he'd sharpen his chain more often it would cut faster too :D

Ken

ivel

i prefer to use a Jonsered 2050 and a Husky 272 or 268 combo.  i like the little jonsered limbing saw, they have a lot of plastic on them making it nice and light.  also i run both my 50 CC saws with .325 pitch chains instead of 3/8.  the smaller kerf and links makes it cut faster cause it's easier for the little saws to pull through the wood.  i have ran a 20" bar on these saws and it does work fine, but it's nicer with a 16".

Sameless Plug:  If anyone is interested i have a Jonsered 2050 with both a 16" and 20" bar (with several 20" chains) i'd be willing to part with.  It's a nice medium saw - 3.1 HP @ 10 Lbs.  I have had smaller saws, but cause of the power and lightness of this saw i've gotten rid of all the rest of them.  Like i said if anyone is interested in a nice used saw please drop me an email or private message me.

Hope this helps,
-ivel

Thank You Sponsors!