iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky L65 help please

Started by parrisw, January 15, 2007, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parrisw

Hey, I am wanting to try to fix my old Husky 65, last time I used it it quit on me, so I took it apart and found that the cam that opens and closes the points was free to spin around the crank.  Now how is it supposed to be held in there, is the woodruff key seperate from it or is it built into the cam itself.  Here are a couple pics of it.  Thanks for looking.

Kevin

parrisw

Simonian

I checked IPL for the 65 and could not find a key only the cam which not possible to get.
If the flywheel has 2 magnets, you can switch to electronic ignition. If it has 3 you have to stay with the points.
YOU may have to weld or braze a new key to the cam. this is where your craft skill comes in. Like the way cars were built before mass production

parrisw

Yes, thats what I though, it looked as if the key was part of the cam and it broke off, and yes the local dealer told me its unavailiable, how would I convert to electronic ignition??  What parts would work off of what saw?? 

Thanks allot

Simonian

How many magnets are on the flywheel?

parrisw

There are actually 4 magnets on the flywheel.

Simonian

I do not think the Nova electronic ignition will work
What metal is the cam made of?

parrisw

It is made of steel, but unsure of how well, I can weld a key to it, its a tight fit over the crank, and if I weld on a key, the weld build up will interfere with the fit over the crank will it not???

Thanks

Simonian

it may be best to silver braze something about the size of the keyway. then grind it to a good fit. This will be more accurate than a weld

parrisw

Yes, I suppose I could try that, I have regular bronze braze will that work??  or not strong enough.

parrisw

Im thinking this may be difficulet, I m looking at the piece here, the thing is so small, that once I weld or braze inside this thing, there is no way to grind it out, the only thing I could get in there is a points file or something.

Simonian

How good does it flow?
silver braze runs like water on a property fluked surface.
there are different flow temps. Easy flow should work about 900f is where it flows. Try a jewelry supply or a lapidary shop

parrisw

Bronze braze flow really well.  But the dam thing is so small, and the size of the key is tiny, much smaller than I am used to working on, this is like jewlery size stuff, I m used to automotive stuff, welding and fabrication.

Simonian

will think on it for a bit
You may have to take it to a jewelry repair shop  Give him the key that you find or make and have him braze them together. you still may have to file a bit to get them to fit

parrisw

Ok, thanks allot for your help thus far, I actually though when it first broke, to just weld the cam to the crank ::)  I know I know, but it would work, and when it dies again, to just scrap the saw.

Simonian

what would work too. If you can do it very fast.

parrisw

Yes I could do it, I would use braze since it flows at lower temps then welding, and if I ever had to take it off, I could just reheat and pull it off.

Corley5

Watch E-bay for a parts saw.  They show up there on occasion  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

parrisw

ya, I ve been looking there for   some parts.

Kevin

parrisw

that looks like it, but the keyway that is shown there is for the flywheel, the small points cam goes on farther in that that keyway.

Thanks

Simonian

a braze may take too long. too much heat transfer.
a wire feed welder would be quicker. just need to tack it in 2 spots.

parrisw

Ya I think your right, I was thinking of that, if it would damage something else, oh well, I got a wire feed welder too, thanks for the help.

parrisw

Anybody know which way around the cam goes, I can't remember, ther looks like there is an arrow on it, but one side of the lobe has a steeper ramp on it, I would think that would be the backside, so the points would open quicker.

Thank You Sponsors!