iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crunched 395

Started by Corley5, January 24, 2007, 09:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I had a big beech fall on my 395.  I couldn't bear to look too closely at it for a few days.  Here's some pics of the damage and it's not as bad as some I've seen but bad enough.

The case is busted by the muffler and the crack goes behind the recoil cover which is also busted.  The muffler is also deformed and the handlebar is bent.  Nothing is leaking though.  It does roll over and have compression but I haven't tried to start it.

The clutch cover has a chunk broken out of it and another crack.  The bottom bolt for the dog has pulled out of the case and taken a chunk with it.

Bent handlebar and busted choke pull

The gas tank is pulled away from the main case because of the bend in the handlebar and stress on the mounts.

The bar is also bent but the chain appears to be OK  ;) ;D  The saw has only cut about 50,000 bdft Scribner and 60 or so face cords of firewood.  I'm sure it will still run and don't think the case is cracked in any vital spots.  The bright spot is after a couple calls to the insurance company things are looking up.  It's covered under the tools and fallen objects clause in the farm policy  ;)  ;D  Tomorrow I've got to get an estimate on the value before it was squashed, a cost to repair it and a replacement value.  This might not hurt as bad as I thought  ???  In fact there could very well be a new 2186 Jonsered to go keep the 2171 company  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Zack might need a go-cart motor before you know it.  ;D

sawguy21

That one hurts :(  I doubt if it would be worth repairing even if you do the work yourself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Hhhmmm  Go Kart motor  hhmmm   ;D ;D

Kevin

You might check with your insurance company, it could be covered.

TexasTimbers

Buy a new one and keep it for parts.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Todd

At least it wasn't you...tools can be repaired or replaced. (that being said...OUCH!) I hope its covered.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

KDJ

I ran over my 357 with a skid loader similar damage to yours.But by the time i purchased all the parts. I could have had a new unit for 75.00.

I also ran over a 026 with the same skid loader and again I could have virtually purchased new for the price of parts.

Ok yeah, I also one time put my 272 on the feed side for my wood chipper and hit the pto on the tractor without remembering the saw was there it chewed up part of the handle before I relized what was going on.

KDJ

DOLMAR 7901
HUSKY 272& 357
JONSRED 670 & 2159
STHIL MS380 

timberjack240

well at least it was a husky if it was anyhting eslse youd still be pickin up the pieces  :D  ;D
(all in good fun)
timberjack240

Corley5

I left some pieces laying there  ;) ;D  The saw shop declared it "totalled" today which wasn't unexpected  ;) :) and wrote up a slip for replacement cost and value before the accident.  He figured 750 bucks which I didn't figure was too far off on a 6 year old saw ;)  I also printed a shopping cart from Bailey's for the saw and bar and chain to take to the insurance co. tomorrow.  I'm hopeful that this won't turn out too bad after all.  Actually with a new recoil cover,  clutch cover and handlebar the saw would function fine.  It'd lack an inside falling dog but one on the clutch cover would do the job.  I ran my 2094 with only one for years ;)  It'd need a choke pull and maybe a muffler too.  It'd work fine as a milling powerhead too.  Once this all settles down I'll probably E-bay it.  I don't have a need for or want a 95cc saw anymore.  Something in the 85cc class is in my future like a 2186 Jonsered.  Black and red are my preferred colors  ;)  The guy at the shop said he'd work something out on a trade in for it I.E. an extra bar or a couple chains or something along that line and he'd part it out  ::)  When the time comes for the auction I'll post it in the for sale ads and the FF will get a share of the proceeds  :) 

Weekend_Sawyer

KDJ, they still let you run that skid steer? :D

I had the grapple on my skid steer the other day, playing with the logs in my yard. There was a trailer tire sitting there and my brother had said he wanted it, so I picked it up with the grapple and started over to his house (next door). Something caught my eye, I looked left, the tire fell off the grapple and I ran over it. The skid steer jumped up in the air and lurched to the right!! I had no idea what was happening, my hair must have stood straight out! Then I noticed the tire was gone. Went back, picked it up and finished my delivery. That's what I get for being lazy and not paying attention.

Almost 15 years ago I dropped a tree on my 031. I fixed it myself and the parts cost $160. The parts dealer said I should have just bought a new one but that aw is still around. one of my brothers still runs it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

snowman

The price of saw parts is a sore spot with me. Ill bet if you bought all the parts to assemble a 395 it would cost you about 5k, maybe more!

snowman

More I think about it the madder I get, I just bought a tiny part for my 395, a little piece of metal with a tiny screw that holds the choke handle to the carb. 26 bucks! >:( Can't wait till the sun comes up, I need to cut a few trees down, that always makes me feel better. :)

Weekend_Sawyer

They got it, you need it. It's the basis of our market driven society.
Having said that it still burns me up when vendors take unfair advantage.
The cost of Diesel is top on my "Ticks Me Off" list.

Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

PineNut

We here so much about our throw away society. It is not the consumers that want it. It is the manufacturers and dealers that enforce it with the pricing on replacement parts. Looks like we are stuck with it.

rebocardo

Go on e-bay, find a cover, ask the seller a question, and when a cover does not sell, recontact the seller and ask them if they will sell it a lot cheaper.

Sparty

When I was in college working for a tree service, I was 50' up in a tree trimming with a new stihl.  This was in a courtyard of a downtown public library.  I thought I clipped the saw into my harness.  I let go of it to dangle while I repositioned and it fell to the cement patio right infront of the reading room windows.  At least you didn't have 50 people looking to see why chainsaws were raining from heaven.  And yes, I did have the area roped off.

Kevin

That's why I use a lanyard with two attachment points.  ;D

Sparty

Ya, I had no experience at the time and neither did my boss.  It was dangerous....oh well, I was young and dumb.  That's changed a little-I'm not young anymore!

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jokers

Quote from: Sparty on February 01, 2007, 06:32:50 PM..........It was dangerous....oh well, I was young and dumb.  That's changed a little-I'm not young anymore!
Boy, reality sure spares no one, does she?  smiley_biggrin01

Corley5

Got the check from the ins. co today and the pain is gone  8) 8) ;D  Turned out pretty DanG good.  Much better than I'd hoped for in fact  ;) ;D :)

jgoodhart

I had a Stihl 034 that I ran over with the tractor and badley bent it and I fixed it up with another 034 that someone put the wrong gas in and trashed the engine. Ebay is a good source for parts if you have the time to wait on a good deal.

Corley5

The insurance co did very well by me and there's a brand new 2186 Jonsered in the shop that's going to get its first workout tomorrow 8) 8) 8)  I've already seen most of the parts needed to fix the 395 go across Ebay but I'm not sure I want to bother with it.  I haven't used it in much in the past couple years and probably wouldn't in the future.  The jury's still out on its fate  ;) :)

ccicora

What is the fate of the saw? I'm looking for a good jug that is clean.
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Thank You Sponsors!