iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

older Stihl

Started by foresthawk, January 31, 2007, 07:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foresthawk

I came into an older model Stihl, a model  O8 S.  Am wondering the years this model was produced.  And what would be the best length bar for this size engine, which is about 55cc.?  Thanks for any info.

Ianab

Chainsaw Collectors Corner

After 1969 for the 56 cc version.
I see they came with bars between 13 and 21", so a 16 or 18 is probably sensible.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

leweee

The 08 series Stihls were the "Do ever thing"power head . ;D
they powered ever thing from brush cutters,posthole augers,concrete saws & even hedge trimmers. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

What leewee said. That saw was an orphan but extremely popular with the farmers and orchardists. It was around for more than 30 years.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bernhard

.... It was around for more than 30 years.....

and is still in production in Mexico or Brazil. ;D

SawTroll

Quote from: Bernhard on February 01, 2007, 01:54:29 AM

Production is in Brazil, but I have problems understanding why they still make that one - it was outdated pretty soon after it came out...... :D :D :D
Information collector.

Eccentric

Quote from: Bernhard on February 01, 2007, 01:54:29 AM

Here ya go...

http://www.stihl.com.br/default.asp?Pagina=HomeNova.asp 

Sorry, but I can't translate Portugese!  ;D

-Click "Produtos" (That one's easy).

-Click "Motosserra" (motor-saw I guess).

-Click  the little picture icon above "Versatil".

-Click on the "MS 08S" and Bob's-Your-Uncle.  You can also see that they sell the 051 (MS 051) as well!!!
-Eccentric.

Don't tune old saws with a tach!
Tune the H side so that it '4-strokes' (burbles) at WOT unloaded.  It should just 'clean up' when under load........and revert to '4-stroking' when you lift cutting pressure.

sawguy21

Tried your link but could not get beyond Produtos.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Eccentric

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 02, 2007, 09:38:01 AM
Tried your link but could not get beyond Produtos.

After you click "Produtos" on the left hand side a whole bunch of faint little words will drop down in a list below it.  Look very closely for "Motosserra" amoung these words and click it.  Then a number of picture icons will appear in the lower middle of the screen.  Click on the picture above the word "Versatil".

I tried the link again after your post and it still works.  I'll be willing to bet that you just didn't see "Motoserra" as the words are tiny, faint, and hard to read without squinting (for me anyways...).  When I first went to the site I found the right word to click on in that list purely by trial and error.
-Eccentric.

Don't tune old saws with a tach!
Tune the H side so that it '4-strokes' (burbles) at WOT unloaded.  It should just 'clean up' when under load........and revert to '4-stroking' when you lift cutting pressure.

Thank You Sponsors!