iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you clean your chainsaw after heavy milling.

Started by alsayyed, February 05, 2007, 02:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Yesterday and today I did some milling using the chainsaw. Normally after I finish I take the bar and chain and get some gasoline and start cleaning using a paint brush to take off the dust. Then I take the filter and clean it with water then I clean the dust of chainsaw body. This is how I do it.
Do you have better any idea than the one I am doing.
So if anybody know something  that I did not know please teach me. Thank you as always I appreciate your help.

beenthere

Alsayyed
I'd do similar, but I don't use the gasoline. Just use the paint brush to dust off the sawdust and just use a vacuum to clean the filter.  I wipe the saw down, but do not remove the oil film.

Not sure what you  mean by "clean the rust of (off?) chainsaw body" ?  Where does rust come from? If rust, another reason I don't clean the oil film off the saw.  :)

Glad to hear that you are milling with your saw. Apparently you managed to fix the clutch (or did I miss that ).   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

alsayyed

thank you for correcting me I mean the dust not the rust.

billstuewe

I also like to pull the drum sprocket off the clutch and blow out real good and I grease the needle bearing with lithium grease.  That little bearing takes one hell-of-a-beating IMHO and I like to keep it greased up.  Ever so often I true up my bar on my stationary disc sander.  I grind the bar rails just enough to get them straight and true again.
Bill
Bill's Woodshop

Jim Spencer

I have a Logosol mill and use a Stihl 066.  I have been milling for about 5 years and have cut about 20,000 BD/FT of Oak,Beech, Cherry, and Ash lumber.
I have never had a problem with my Stihl 066.  I just brush it off and clean the carburetor filter daily after hard milling.  I would not wash my chain in gasoline because that will wash the oil out of the links and will cause premature chain failure.  The more oil you can keep into the chain the better it will preform.
I took the clutch off 1 time and greased the bearing but have had no problem.
I will generally use a Dremel tool and grinding wheel to resharpen the chain without removing the chain from the bar.  After resharpening the chain 3 or 4 times I will remove it and resharpen it with a cheap chain grinder I bought from harbor freight. This makes all the teeth equal and corrects for the variables created by the Dremel grinder.
Hope this helps you.
Jim

Tony_T

Clean the air filter, tapping or vacuuming, then with soapy water/water , the latter every few days of milling. Blow out or rinse out the dust under the cover by the carburator. Pull the bar off and clean out the groove, the area around the clutch and oiler, grease clutch bearing ca. after a week of use.  Flip the bar when I reinstall it.  Less often pull the cyl cover and make sure no sawdust has built up around the cyl cooling fins.  Check pickups in the gas/oil tanks, if dirty rinse out with some mix, if needed pull them to clean them (not very often if careful to dust off when filling btanks).

Thank You Sponsors!