iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine ID

Started by PA_Walnut, August 18, 2017, 07:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

As you may have noticed in my previous posts, I'm doing some timber management and lot clearing at my place and selectively taking down some gems. (kinda pains me, but good wood comes from good trees.)

Have a serious of pines I'm taking down and very unfamiliar with the varied species. Took some pix and perhaps the experts here could assist me in ID'n them. The previous owner said they had a friend from Maine who would bring seedlings to them here in PA every year. Some are 30+ years old.

Thanks!

Have some other varieties I'll post soon. Much appreciate the assist!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

PA_Walnut

Thanks. Is spruce in the pine family?
Thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Texas Ranger

Different Genera, but in the same family.  This is probably red spruce.  Picea rubrens.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Thanks. I have a few pretty large ones. Does is saw well? Dry like pine?
Thx
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ianab

With a band mill you need a sharp band and everything running sweet because the band can wander when it hits the hard knots that spruce has.

But apart from that you can dry and use it similar to pine.

"SPF" is a lumber category that stands for Spruce, Pine or Fir. So when you buy that grade, it could be any of several species, but they are used the same.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_Walnut

Thanks. All good info! I'm going to saw some into material for a timber frame I'm breaking ground for next month!
Thanks
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

I think that's Norway spruce.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

Thanks. It made a BEAUTIFUL 8x8 for an upcoming timber frame project!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!